• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby - not set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Sumo - "Willie Heinz offering refereeing advice. That's like a rabbit being in charge of a lettuce."

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Nemani Nadolo took a run up field in the Cru v Sharks game. He made about 5 metres towing two defenders. The kiwi commentator described it as

"Like a Clydesdale pulling a plow"

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Appropriate shirt with FIFA World Cup on at the moment
image.jpg

Lots of other ones too:
http://ruckinshirtsuk.spreadshirt.co.uk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All Blacks great Kevin Skinner dies at age 86

www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/10291875/All-Blacks-great-Kevin-Skinner-dies-at-age-86

Includes a vid of Don Clarke talking about the famous Skinner-Bekker stoush that probably defined his career but obscured the fact that while he was as "hard" as anyone who's ever played the game he was a footy player who brought the buffo when necessary, not the thug-in-a-jersey he's sometimes portrayed as.

Condolences to the Skinner family.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What do/ should we think of this:

"Rugby Southland has booted 18-year-old April Miller from the Southland-wide presidents grade competition, saying no females were allowed in senior competitions.

"Miller's rugby-playing exploits featured in The Southland Times and Newslink last week.

"The story outlined how the daughter of former Southland representative Wayne Miller, and niece of former All Black Paul Miller, was the sole woman playing in Southland's senior rugby grades.

"With Southland not having a senior women's competition, Miller opted to join the Pukerau men's team and play in the Southland-wide presidents grade.

"However, Miller has since been told she was not allowed to play.

"Rugby Southland community rugby manager Don McFarlane stopped the only female playing in the Southland-wide club rugby competition from taking the field again.

"No girls are to play in men's rugby above primary-school age," McFarlane said.

"From an official perspective there should be no girls playing at that level in a men's team."

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
She's not a girl. She's a woman. And while the safety concerns are obvious, what the fuck else is she going to do?

Move somewhere I suppose, or quit

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
In my mind, my first reaction is, if she wants to play then let her. In reality but, there would be more to it than that.
I would not feel comfortable tackling, cleaning out or hitting the ball up at her. Not for one second. I wasn't raised like that.
I am also aware of the occasional times that in a ruck/maul/tackle etc a wayward hand has grabbed my gear. It happens in the game and is generally accidental but there are blokes that will go the old squirrel grip on purpose. If April starts getting grabbed/groped at what point does it become sexual harassment?

The Union is ultimately responsible for her well being as a player and these are the sorts of things that (I hope) they considered and based their decision on. It sucks that she can't play the game that she wants to but as long as the decision has been made using sound reasoning and based on her welfare instead of it being a knee jerk sexist/chauvinistic decision then I'm OK with it I guess.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"After a nine-year wait, Sir Colin Meads will be inducted into the International Rugby Board Hall of Fame this month."

About fucking time too IMO, considering some of the names below......

"The full list of inductees is: Fred Allen, Bill Beaumont, Phil Bennett, Naas Botha, Gordon Brown, Don Clarke, Gerald Davies, Mervyn Davies, Morne du Plessis, Ieuan Evans, Sean Fitzpatrick, Grant Fox, Danie Gerber, Tim Horan, Andy Irvine, Carwyn James, Barry John, Michael Jones, Tom Kiernan, Ian Kirkpatrick, John Kirwan, Jason Leonard, Michael Lynagh, Bill McLaren, Terry McLean, Jo Maso, Colin Meads, Graham Mourie, Hennie Muller, George Nepia, Gwyn Nicholls, Jean-Pierre Rives, Fergus Slattery, Joost van der Westhuizen, Wavell Wakefield, JPR Williams, Keith Wood."

Naas Botha? Seriously?

Full story here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/news/10339523/Sir-Colin-Meads-pleased-with-IRB-recognition

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
For an Australian it's difficult to go past that incident, Nusadan. I was there that day and, after many years' reflection, am not convinced Meads meant to physically damage Catchpole. However, we all know how hard our ANZAC brothers play the game and on that day Meads went too far. He's since admitted as much to some Australian journos.

As a gesture of friendship to us I'd hope Meads would decline the honour and say he's not deserving. I should point out here Catchpole has moved on from the incident and bears Meads no grudge, whether he's forgiven him or not's another matter. If any Kiwis here feel aggrieved at my remarks, ask yourselves this: how would you feel if an Aussie deliberately broke Richie's or Dan's leg resulting in the end of either player's career?

Some of us here have long memories.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This brought tears to my eyes.

I was watching some highlights of the England v Canada Women's match and there's an old-fashioned ruck.

If you don't know what an old-fashioned ruck is—it's like a maul but the ball is on the ground and the person at the back keeps the ball in the moving ruck with their feet.

Mauls used to be illegal back in the day but the moving ruck was a good weapon. The Kiwis were masters at it and it reached its final form after WWII in Otago under the coaching of Vic Cavanagh Jr.

Done well it was like a scrum moving up the field: Danie Craven called it a loose scrummage. The action was called rucking.

But the changes in the tackled ball law, nearly 60 years ago now, meant the death of the old ruck. The modern so-called rucks are just piles of bodies.

Anyway the clip I watched had the ball at the feet of the last England player of the moving ruck and they just pushed the Canucks over the line and the player at the back flopped on the ball and scored.

Just as they did in the olden time.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He shouldn't be, given he broke Ken Catchpole's leg, leading to an abrupt end to the playing career of Australia's finest half back!

And in my opinion the greatest Wallaby who ever was.

Actually it wasn't a broken leg: Catchy was pinned in a ruck and Meads grabbed his leg and pulled it in a way that he unzipped all the groin muscles.

Meads has mentioned that he was just trying to pull Catchpole out of the ruck but he must have known that the angle he tugged the leg at would have caused harm.

They said it was just like snapping a wishbone of a chicken.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No likee. Which snout in LeatherPatchLand has shares in a Rebranding Consulting Practice?

Rugby has a traditional backbone and culture. Why change?

Will changing the name change the culture of the Gin soaked, Shiraz guzzlers running the IRB/World Rugby? If so, then I'm all for it, but I reckon it will be same old same old WII-FM* regardless of the name.

Romeo and Juliet Act II Scene II Lines 47-48.

* What's In It For Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.