• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Quotes of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Loved this way of representing what must be one of the most mental sports events out there, the Paris-Roubaix

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2013/04/2013-paris-roubaix-in-quotes/

I was just on the side of the road, and a spectator was lined up in front of me. So I hit him and I crashed, and that’s that.

Have we got a thread on current (not historical) rugby quotes? I can't remember one.

So let's have them here - best fresh quotes you find around the web (with links please).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby: Needle pricks rugby drug-free bubble

Richard Loe on Drugs in rugby in the 80's/90's.
"But I have always said that within the All Blacks, we relied on our sponsors' good products - beer. You look at Australia; it was pretty obvious that the only thing (Wallaby props) Ewen McKenzie and Tony Daly were taking were sponge cakes and doughnuts."

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10877385

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Commentators during the Chiefs vs Sharks

"The future generations of Anscombes are in doubt" after Anscombe's groin had a meeting with a Shark Players boot.

"Both front rows pop up. Someone has seen a spider".

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
CHiefs v Sharks as a first half scrum stands up before the 'set' call the commentator says

Someone saw a spider.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saffer Commentator during Tahs vs Bulls after Bulls Lock Flip Van Der Merwe poleaxed Tahs wing Tom Kingston (legally)

"I reckon Flip Van Der Merwe reckons he has died and gone to heaven .....A lock waits for that a whole rugby lifetime ..... to line up an outside back .... he's totally blindsided .... comes and smashes him"

Piggies around the world will understand the unmitigated joy from the rare occasion when they nail one of the show ponies wearing double digits on their back.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Funny, I'd have thought a big, tough, 2m tall lock would like to nail another big bloke with the big hit, rather than a relative midget. Forwards are obviously complex in that way.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Might have to test that sometime. I recently got below 90 kilos.
I'm down to 76kg, lightest I've been since I was about 21. Of course, if you were chasing me up Kosciusko, I would concede you might catch me. I've seen your pics!!

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
article-2314520-197B6D92000005DC-449_634x199.jpg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Blues captain Ali Williams after their loss to the Reds: "It was just those last five minutes where we made a little mistake here and there where we couldn't execute what we wanted to execute. That's why people come to watch a game of rugby. That's why rugby is better than rugby league, isn't it?" No.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fitz-files/soward-roars-to-no1-in-the-third-person-20130503-2iyx3.html#ixzz2SGosEvNO

The "No" comes from that Blow Hard Fitzsimons.
I think Williams summed it up - in league its easy to execute because you know you keep the ball after each tackle and that makes it predictable.
That was the point, PJF.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
The commentators in the Waratahs Kings game as they set a scrum near the sideline:

"Not much room on the blindside. I don't think McKibbin will be taking the Ray Charles lane."

Status
Not open for further replies.