• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Quotes of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Not exactly quotes of the week, but a few weeks ago.

Clermont v. Toulouse - Round 15

The visitors nearly turn the ball over near the corner flag on their goal line.

Robbie Nock:

That's a very dangerous position for Toulouse to lose possession.

Carry on.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Highlanders vs Stormers. NZ Skysports commentator after Fekitoa takes off on a big lateral cross field run - 79 minute game time.

"And Fekitoa decides to take the long way round ... ... ... [he could] .. .. .. drive a taxi in Auckland"

Think it was "Sumo" Stevenson who said it.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I may be paraphrasing slightly because it's been a few days and it was very early in the morning but this one from the Hurricanes v. Rebels match over the weekend got a chuckle out of me.

I was flipping between tabs to come back to the Rebels pushing up on the 'Canes tryline before TJ Perenara slapped the ball down out of the air - we all know what comes next.. it was his attempt to deliberate with the match official which made it a comedy..

"But, I can do that!"

"No, you can't."

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I liked before kick off in Dunedin, the commentators were saying Rod Stewart had played in stadium during the week
Sumo says " yep there are cougar tracks all over the field"

He comes up with some good stuff that bloke. He seems to have a very sharp wit.

I have a little book of Paul Keating's jibes over the years but I recon a Sumo one would make for a great read.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From NZ Herald article on 1st XV rugby in Auckland, Dale Burden is the Headmaster of Mt Albert Grammar School.

The disproportionate importance it places on rugby is only part of the reason Mt Albert don't want cameras at their grounds.
The other big factor is that Burden is "sick and tired of agents and the rubbish they talk".
"Some of the absolute drivel they tell boys and their families is so far off the mark and the kids believe it. I say to the pupils that, whatever advice they need, there will almost certainly be someone within the school well qualified to give it."

Read the full, rather thought provoking article here:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11442568

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with crediting a quote I think I remember? :D I'll give you all the details I think I know.....

I'm pretty sure it was before a Bledisloe match being played in New Zealand.
I think it was maybe played at Carrisbrook.
I think it was an ex-Wallaby who was a guest commentator or maybe being interviewed that said it.

As best I can remember, it went something like, "It should be a great game as long as the All Blacks wives don't get on the pitch and eat all of the grass."

The name Sam Scott-Young springs to mind but I don't remember him ever doing much comms. Dan Crowley perhaps? Not sure. Anyway, if anyone can help me out that would be good. If you can even just confirm that I haven't made it up and that something like this was actually said, I would appreciate it!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The England team which played Wales reeked of too many laptops and not enough hard drive.

Chris Rattue in NZHerald online
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11521321

Same article:

They are the Frankenstein of world rugby, a scientific experiment with an ugly result. Their creators have just enough rugby understanding to put something together with excruciating detail, but not enough to make it work.

Wolfram

Bob McCowan (2)
Counties Manukau vs Tasman

Marty Banks just showed some good acceleration and scored a try.

Melodie Robinson:

"The reason people don't know about his pace or think he is not the fastest, is because he looks like a snooker player."

Status
Not open for further replies.