• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Summer Sevens Programme 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
My son Michael Sole is in the Sunnybank 7's team in Singapore. I don't know if he has shone much, but I do know that he is having a fantastic time, says that he has learnt so much and loving every minute of the play and the experience.
Its likely that I will be watching Sunnybank later so will see if I can pick a few standouts.
This tournemant is really great.
The standard of play is high.
There are development teams that are just below Super 15 standard from France & South Africa, plus the usual top quality international invitational teams, strong NZ teams with the Aussie teams going well.
The ground is magnificent, 3000 to 4000 spectators, huge media interest and great for young rugby players

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
The Wicks have gone well, Sunnybank were in a tough pool and can still make it. Cottesloe have lost a few however very nearly beat Randwick in the pouring rain. Not sure of the others

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
My son Michael Sole is in the Sunnybank 7's team in Singapore. I don't know if he has shone much, but I do know that he is having a fantastic time, says that he has learnt so much and loving every minute of the play and the experience.
I watched the Sunnybank V Randwick game. It was surreal, randwick scored 2 quick tries and were on fire, when the heavens opened. Torrential rain & lightning meant the officials stopped play for 30 minutes. The ground was under water. The crowd were out there sliding about. The game recommenced and Sunnybank hit back with a try. It was a slugfest after that with conditions making it very tough to play. It was therefore hard to pick out any real standouts. The Randwick winger (Touvasi) was good.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sunnybank's men's and women's teams depart for Fiji tomorrow for the invitation Coral Coast 7s.
Will be a tough ask playing only the best Fijian teams in Fijian conditions with the best invited teams from NZ also.
Sunnybank also have Peter Lee and Jordan Tuapou playing for Australia in the same tournament.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Sunnybank's men's and women's teams depart for Fiji tomorrow for the invitation Coral Coast 7s.
Will be a tough ask playing only the best Fijian teams in Fijian conditions with the best invited teams from NZ also.
Sunnybank also have Peter Lee and Jordan Tuapou playing for Australia in the same tournament.
That tournament will be a real test. last time I went to Fiji on holidays the staff from the resort were playing 7s in their break and, the way the played, would have beaten many mainstream 7s sides. The woman played as well and the same goes for them!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Who is off to the Darwin 7s??
Daveta will have some new faces in their team as 5 members of the squad that won in Singapore have been selected in the Fiji squad. That makes the form from Singapore look strong . Sunnybank apparently had many players out from that tournament due to other commitments so may be up for a stronger showing in Darwin.
Not sure if any of the other international teams are rocking up or if Randwick are going to be at this.
Anyone know if Iconz, Samurai, Aussie Thunder etc are playing? What of the other Club sides from Fiji?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
SEE BELOW THE DRAW FOR DARWIN
Its a very very strong field in Division 1.
Each pool has 2 or 3 teams that have the potential to win the Comp.
Daveta have lost 5 players to the national side from the team that won in Singapore.
Borneo Eagles have won before and were good in Singapore.
Sunnybank will be back to full strength and will give it a shake. Then there are teams from the Brumbies, Auckland, the Aussie Thunderbolts etc. Randwick were a lucky 3rd in Singapore and are unlikely to have all their guns playing given some are training with the Tahs.
My tip (or guess I should say) - Borneo, Deveta or Sunnybank.

MEN'S DIVISION 1
POOL A
POOL B
1 SCR Borneo Eagles (Borneo) 1 Daveta (Fiji)
2 Veitacini Sevens Rugby (NT) 2 ACT Brumbies (ACT)
3 ICONZ Rugby (QLD) 3 Tsunami Wavewearers (NT)
4 Canberra Ozboks (ACT) 4 Casuarina Cougars (NT)
POOL C
POOL D
1 Auckland Rugby Union (NZ) 1 Papua New Guinea 7s (PNG)
2 Randwick (NSW) 2 Aussie Thunderbolts (AU)
3 Sunnybank (QLD) 3 Wisdon King Brown (NT)
4 NT Mosquitoes (NT) 4 Team Stallions (NT)
MEN'S DIVISION 2
POOL E
POOL F
1 The Outlaws (WA) 1 Collie Threads (NT)
2 1st Brigade (NT) 2 Uni Pirates (NT)
3 Palmerston (NT) 3 KRU Rucking Roos Gold (NT)
4 KRU Rucking Roos Green (NT) 4 Delta Company (NT)
POOL G
POOL H
1 South Darwin Dragons (NT) 1 East Arnhem (NT)
2 Woy Woy Lions (NSW) 2 Bungendore Mudchooks (NSW)
3 Central Crusaders (NT) 3 Katherine Brahmans (NT)
4 Kununurra Smashed Crabs (WA) 4 Outback Chiefs (NT)

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Seedings & Pools

Seedings and Pools for the 2013 Heineken Hottest 7s In The World
MEN'S

Seeding
Team Name
Pool
1 SRC Borneo Eagles A
2 Daveta B
3 Auckland Rugby Union C
4 Papua New Guinea D
5 Aussie Thunderbolts D
6 Randwick C
7 ACT Brumbies B
8 Veitacini Sevens Rugby A
9 ICONZ Rugby A
10 Tsunami Wavewearers B
11 Sunnybank C
12 Wisdom King Browns D
13 Team Stallions D
14 NT Mosquitoes C
15 Casuarina Cougars B
16 Canberra Ozboks A
17 The Outlaws E
18 Collie Threads F
19 South Darwin Rabbits G
20 East Arnhem H
21 Barraba Rams J
22 Pirtek Blackwater Basilisks J
23 Bungendore Mudchocks H
24 Woy Woy Lions G
25 Uni Pirates F
26 1st Brigade E
27 Palmerston E
28 KRU Rucking Roos - Gold F
29 Central Crusaders G
30 Katherine Brahmans H
31 Larrakia Titans J
32 Swampdogs J
33 Outback Chiefs H
34 Kununurra Smashed Crabs G
35 Delta Company F
36 KRU Rucking Roos - Green E

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wrap up from Darwin
Daveta were turned away at customs with visa issues robbing the tournament of a quality team.
Auckland were very big and very fast and saved their best for the reigning champions Borneo in the final.
PNG were not consistent enough to hang with the Cup Pool but their No. 10 was the quickest man in the competition and he provided enough X Factor for them to win the Plate.
Former Australian player Kasey Mitchell steered the No. 10 seed Tsunami team to wins over the Brumbies and Randwick.
Sunnybank were too young and inexperienced with many players on international duty. They lost on the last play to PNG when a more experienced side would have prevailed.
Sunnybank cleaned up the women defeating ACT.
It is very obvious that the quality and quantity of the domestic NZ 7s competitions is creating a bigger pool of quality players who understand 7s than in Australia.
Live streaming from the tournament is outstanding and is something Premier Rugby should look into.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Wrap up from Darwin
Daveta were turned away at customs with visa issues robbing the tournament of a quality team.
Auckland were very big and very fast and saved their best for the reigning champions Borneo in the final.
PNG were not consistent enough to hang with the Cup Pool but their No. 10 was the quickest man in the competition and he provided enough X Factor for them to win the Plate.
Former Australian player Kasey Mitchell steered the No. 10 seed Tsunami team to wins over the Brumbies and Randwick.
Sunnybank were too young and inexperienced with many players on international duty. They lost on the last play to PNG when a more experienced side would have prevailed.
Sunnybank cleaned up the women defeating ACT.
It is very obvious that the quality and quantity of the domestic NZ 7s competitions is creating a bigger pool of quality players who understand 7s than in Australia.
Live streaming from the tournament is outstanding and is something Premier Rugby should look into.
Happyjack - thanks for this. I watched some of the games via Live Streaming and it was great. Randwick outclassed Sunnybank so may be able to claim bragging rights for Aussie Club sides in 7s, Auckland played like a Super 15 Rep 7s side and were great, Tsunami ( whoever they were) were also very good as were Borneo. It is interesting how various sides are assembled with great players from everywhere. I was surprised that the Aussie Thunderbolts were not more successful.
Onto Kiama - wonder who is playing there? Will that be mainly local teams?

Iconz Rugby

Frank Row (1)
Happyjack - thanks for this. I watched some of the games via Live Streaming and it was great. Randwick outclassed Sunnybank so may be able to claim bragging rights for Aussie Club sides in 7s, Auckland played like a Super 15 Rep 7s side and were great, Tsunami ( whoever they were) were also very good as were Borneo. It is interesting how various sides are assembled with great players from everywhere. I was surprised that the Aussie Thunderbolts were not more successful.
Onto Kiama - wonder who is playing there? Will that be mainly local teams?

Hey Macca, I run the Iconz team we went to Darwin also and had planned to take a very strong side. However once Mick O'connor was no longer managing the thunderbolt team. The new person in charge recruited 4 of our players which was a great opportunity for us and our Mission, but made it difficult to field a strong team of 7. We ended up with 5 debutants in our side and had a very expensive trip.
The word I received from the thunderbot players was the coaching staff were providing poor direction of that team and they ended up with a team of individual superstars.

Iconz Rugby

Frank Row (1)
I heard 2 of the players from Iconz 7s team have been invited to train with the Australian team. Interesting as the 2 players are from the QLD cup rugby league

There was actually 4 players from our extended training squad with the Aussie team:
Thomas Pincus (UQ)
Harry Parker (UQ)
Ryan Tongia (Easts Rugby League now Sunnybank)
Corey Thompson (Easts Rugby League)

I believe Pincus is still there just missed out on a callup for HK7s, Thompson has a extended player contract with the Storm, Tongia signed a deal with Sunnybank, Parker is in the Aussie Gold program with two of our other players Jaime Tuilagi (UQ) and Mitch Felsman (brothers Qld).

It was a great reward for some excellent play in Noosa, Byron and Central coast where we only lost 4 games total.

Status
Not open for further replies.