• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Super Rugby isn't the NRL...
Predicting an audience of above 200,000 for a regular round match isn't a realistic expectation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Super Rugby has had 4 100k+ games so far this season but none since Round 4. If this match can't crack it it's hard to see any others getting there until potential finals.​
For comparison the A-League has had 10 so far​

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd imagine the A-League's 10 would have come before January though, where they were the only game in town.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a pathetic result, I actually thought rugby was doing better in this country. What the fuck was everyone else watching? 500-600k would've watched the Test. Is the rugby so bad for them they prefer to watch re-runs of sitcoms or old movies instead of the biggest Australian domestic rugby game?

Yes I know FTA v PTV but they'd be plenty with access to PTV that would've watched something else.

It's concerning.

T

TOCC

Well firstly Canberra TV audiences are small, it's irrelevant as to whether they are ranked high on the ladder because they have a smaller supporter base.. The only time you are going to get 200'000 for a regular season round is an interstate clash between QLD and NSW..

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What does Canberra have to do with it? Sure it's the Brumbies but the whole of Australian rugby public should be watching it no? Why wouldn't any of the QLDers watch it? or WA or VIC?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have been crying in the wilderness for a long while. Rugby is unequivocally not doing well in this country.

The standard of Australian derbies, in particular, has been totally dire. This game should have been one of the best of the season.

What it says to me is that we only have one product that the sporting public is interested in, and that's the Wobbs. I wonder how long that interest will keep us afloat?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'd imagine the A-League's 10 would have come before January though, where they were the only game in town.
Yeah, their ratings drop off a cliff when Big Bash and then the NRL+AFL are on, but they've had 3 x 100+ games since Super Rugby started. Their Fox ratings get cannibalised by SBS a bit too.

T

TOCC

What it says to me is that we only have one product that the sporting public is interested in, and that's the Wobbs. I wonder how long that interest will keep us afloat?

Nah, there's plenty of evidence that there are fans out there who are interested in high quality and entertaining super rugby, the Aussie teams just aren't producing it on a regular or consistent basis. The Aussie derbies are some of the worst matches of the season to watch from a casual fan perspective.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's a pathetic result, I actually thought rugby was doing better in this country. What the fuck was everyone else watching? 500-600k would've watched the Test. Is the rugby so bad for them they prefer to watch re-runs of sitcoms or old movies instead of the biggest Australian domestic rugby game?

Yes I know FTA v PTV but they'd be plenty with access to PTV that would've watched something else.

It's concerning.
Unfortunately, it looks like a big chunk were watching the A-League final

Fri STV #ALeagueFinals#FoxSports
@AdelaideUnited v @brisbaneroar 110k

Fri TV #ALeague Elim Final #SBSONE#ALeagueFinals
@AdelaideUnited v @brisbaneroar 153k

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
A-League regular season ratings on Fox:
Before the AFL NRL season started 66k
After the AFL NRL season started 48k
The highest rating on Fox during the AFL/NRL season is 107k, next best 76k

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
A-League regular season ratings on Fox:
Before the AFL NRL season started 66k
After the AFL NRL season started 48k
The highest rating on Fox during the AFL/NRL season is 107k, next best 76k
They're interesting numbers for the A league and you can see why they went for the summer season.

I just did a similar calc for us, only up to last week and including NZ games but excluding South African - using footyindusty.com data so I can't guarantee the numbers.....

Before NRL, average 76k. 4 games over 100k

After NRL, average 50k. 0 games over 100k

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Unfortunately many non union fans still think that Rugby is all about kicking and scrum resets.

If more teams played like the Canes and ran the ball all night I think people could be won over.

Friday nights game seemed to have poor handling particularly the second half (did not see first 30 minutes due to flooding in Ipswich) so lots of scrums and Mogg still loves to kick the ball a lot.

I think the hard part about converting or at least getting League watcher to switch is that all union teams play a different style and unless you enjoy the different styles then you might only want to watch a handful of teams where as League is a game where you will generally get the same style from most teams.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the hard part about converting or at least getting League watcher to switch is that all union teams play a different style and unless you enjoy the different styles then you might only want to watch a handful of teams where as League is a game where you will generally get the same style from most teams.

That's what makes rugby great and league shit!

T

TOCC

What does Canberra have to do with it? Sure it's the Brumbies but the whole of Australian rugby public should be watching it no? Why wouldn't any of the QLDers watch it? or WA or VIC?

The answer seems obvious... Because it's not their team...

Status
Not open for further replies.