• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Unfortunately many non union fans still think that Rugby is all about kicking and scrum resets.
<snip>
They kick the ball after every set of 5 hitups in Mungoball. It is not called fivekick for nothing.

A set of 5 hitups tends to take about 1 minute. In an 80 minute game of Mungoball, there are then about 80 kicks.

How many kicks are there in an 80 minute minute game of Rugby?

Because they need to have a result, in any close game, they also spend the last 6 minutes trying to kick a drop goal rather than trying to score a try. The mungoball attempted drop goals are a bigger joke than reset scrums.

Let them have their silly templated homogenised little game.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It has nothing to do with the product at all. European rugby shows you that.

I don't think so. European rugby would be more popular if it was a better product. The reaction to the last round of the Six Nations this year is evidence of that. Existing European rugby fans might have a greater appreciation of certain styles of rugby than Australian rugby fans do (generally speaking), but I think most fans, and particularly casual fans or new people to the game generally prefer matches with plenty of action, continuity and ball movement. Different styles are great, but when you have semi-regular 2-3 minute sequences of setting and re-setting scrums followed by a penalty there aren't many people that think 'this is great sport.'

In 2010 and 2011 the Reds were getting consistently high ratings on Fox Sports. It was mainly because of the way they played. They were thrilling people.

T

TOCC

Yep, it has everything to do with the product..
Is super rugby better to watch now then it was in the 90's and turn of the century? I don't think so, at least not in Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
In the 90's (I have been watching a lot of old games recently) the game was actually faster. The collisions were not as big as a rule but the skills were at least as good and in some aspects better. The stoppages for scrums and lineouts were measured in seconds and not minutes and the ball was in a real contest all the time.

Rugby since "professionalism" has become so much more tactical, and ascendancy is sought in every little aspect. Coaches needing to justify themselves constantly look for the nth percent.

But the main aspect that has seen the flowing game morph into what we have now are the changes the IRB/World Rugby have made to the Laws and the interpretations of those Laws. On the surface each step was reasonable and the next was also reasonable until we are where we are now. Much the same thing has happened to League, with a lot of League people I know ruing the changes to their game since the 70s.

Just get on Youtube and have a look at any game from the 90s and look at the speed of the set pieces.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
No good ratings news from Saturday

@MediaweekAUS: Sat STV #SuperRugby #FoxSports
#HURvCRU 48k
#REBvCHI 42k
#BLUvFOR 29k

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
No good ratings news from Saturday

@MediaweekAUS: Sat STV #SuperRugby #FoxSports
#HURvCRU 48k
#REBvCHI 42k
#BLUvFOR 29k

What was Tahs V Ponies?

Fox must be getting a shit load for re-selling the product because they can't be charging out the advertising rights for much with that sort fo exposure.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Meanwhile the Mungoes got 167k and 118k for their two exhibition matches (Samoan NRL players versus Tongan; Fijian vs PNG respectively) on Fox according to today's "Hurled".

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Meanwhile the Mungoes got 167k and 118k for their two exhibition matches (Samoan NRL players versus Tongan; Fijian vs PNG respectively) on Fox according to today's "Hurled".

wow. Well that does put it into perspective. They were middle of the day/arvo games too right?

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I watched a good chunk of the tahs v brumbies as the footy was called off.

I would imagine their were quite a few like me searching for some decent sport to watch with the aus nz test off.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What impact does recording the games have on the published numbers?
Most people I know that watched it,didnt watch it live.

I think I am right in saying that recorded programmes are counted, if they are viewed within one week of the original screening. Presumably the final ratings figures include recordings. (Although given that one of the points of recording stuff is so that one can fast forward through the ads, maybe this is just an urban myth).

I do remember some years ago that there was talk of mobile ratings meters being used in selected licensed venues to capture those viewers.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
What impact does recording the games have on the published numbers?
Most people I know that watched it,didnt watch it live.
The ratings numbers we post the next day include programs watched live or recorded and watched by 2am that night.

They also publish a consolidated report a week later which captures all views within the last 7 days.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I watched a good chunk of the tahs v brumbies as the footy was called off.

I would imagine their were quite a few like me searching for some decent sport to watch with the aus nz test off.
Judging by the relatively poor rugby ratings and relatively good A-League numbers, it looks like frustrated League supporters prefer soccer over union.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Good A-League numbers? Both Rugby and A-League numbers are similar and pretty ordinary.

The A-league elimination final between Wellington and Mel City rated 48k

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Those who record Foxtel to a PVR (me for example) would have been recorded as in time viewers as Foxtel cannot see when I actually watch what I record. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Those who record Foxtel to a PVR (me for example) would have been recorded as in time viewers as Foxtel cannot see when I actually watch what I record. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Are you on a ratings panel? Unless you are, only Foxtel knows, nothing to do with the offical ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.