• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
1.png

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Whilst I am not saying that that ratings for the Tahs vs Brumbies were that great (100K plus is what I was expecting).

I always compare Super Rugby ratings against other PayTV programs on the specific night, I think it gives a good indication as to what Foxtel subscribers are watching, only beaten by AFL and Soccer semi which is not a bad result in my opinion

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
It may not help with the number count, but would the fact that a lot of people watch their Super Rugby at pubs make a difference?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It may not help with the number count, but would the fact that a lot of people watch their Super Rugby at pubs make a difference?

There was some talk a while ago about the introduction of mobile meters to count viewers in selected venues as part of the overall ratings process. Not sure whether that has happened, somehow I doubt it.

Otherwise, any benefits would accrue to the venues, more than to the ratings, unfortunately. There might be some benefit in Foxtel's valuation of our sport, but because it would be based more on anecdote rather than hard statistics properly measured, it would not be great, I suspect.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not sure what a Foxtel subscription costs for a licensed venue but it's a lot more than a regular package.

My guess is that the actual number of eyes in the pub watching sport is less important to Foxtel than the actual subscription fee the pub is paying.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm not sure what a Foxtel subscription costs for a licensed venue but it's a lot more than a regular package.

My guess is that the actual number of eyes in the pub watching sport is less important to Foxtel than the actual subscription fee the pub is paying.

Yes, definitely, but Foxtel would be very interested in how many people are watching each sport at venues in order to determine pricing. I would be very surprised if Foxtel didn't have some sort of a measure for each sport of how much value it adds to "pub attendance" which figures into their pricing arrangement for TV rights.

Having said that, I have no idea what percentage of Foxtel's revenue comes from venues, so I don't know if it would actually be important in pricing.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Are you on a ratings panel? Unless you are, only Foxtel knows, nothing to do with the offical ratings.

My mistake. I thought that Fox figures would come from the actual numbers of set top boxes watching a particular program. Given that Fox must know these numbers (which FTA don't) then the only use for a ratings panel is to know how many eyeballs per set top box.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
It all pales into insignificance when the first episode of Game of Thrones a few weeks back got 553K viewers.....

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Otherwise, any benefits would accrue to the venues, more than to the ratings, unfortunately. There might be some benefit in Foxtel's valuation of our sport, but because it would be based more on anecdote rather than hard statistics properly measured, it would not be great, I suspect.

Pubs and clubs can't purchase regular sports packages however. They have to pay an extortionate rate to stream sports, so even if they only count as '1' additional viewer, the sum cost would probably match that of about 50 which the company would certainly enjoy.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
@MediaweekAUS: Fri STV #SuperRugby #FoxSports
#REBvBLU 50k
#CRUvRED 49k

Bet there weren't that many watching the Reds match by the end

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The Rebels deserved a much bigger audience than that. We are in deep doodoo as a sport.

The Reds game was not the best time for people who work. I think a fair few would have taped it and watched it later in the evening and possibly instead of the Rebels game and dont forget the Rebels are not a traditional Rugby state.

I usually only watch one game live a week so I can do stuff with the family but tape the others and then choose one or two games to watch if I get chance.

Generally I watch the Tahs and Brumbies after my preference of the Reds. It is not that I dont like the Rebels or Force it is just I prefer to watch the other teams.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Very interesting that the viewership gap between a match involving no Aus teams and one involving two is, comparatively, so low.

What's even more interesting is that the gap is less on a Saturday rather than the Friday when we're the only sport on at 5:30pm.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
#REDvSHA 54k
#CHIvBUL 51k

@MediaweekAUS: Sat STV #SuperRugby #FoxSports
#WARvCRU 85k
#BLUvHUR 50k
#FORvHIG 48k

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
For what it's worth, our "closest" competitor on payTV - the A-league finished last week.

They got 8million viewers on Foxtel over the season, at an average of 64k per game.

We are tracking at 3.5million so far, averaging 58k (will finals etc to come)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
#BRUvBUL 57k
#CRUvHUR 56k

@MediaweekAUS: Sat STV #SuperRugby #FoxSports
#HIGvCHI 50k
#FORvRED 48k

@MediaweekAUS: Sat TV #rugby #ShuteShield 7TWO Syd 26k

Status
Not open for further replies.