• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry. I disagree. There is not necessarily a correlation between participation and TV numbers.

Netball has always had lots of players. But these TV ratings are very new.

At what point in the past has netball produced better TV ratings than rugby?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sorry. I disagree. There is not necessarily a correlation between participation and TV numbers.

Netball has always had lots of players. But these TV ratings are very new.

At what point in the past has netball produced better TV ratings than rugby?

What you're overlooking is that this was the final. The biggest game of the year.As I already alluded to in another post these ratings weren't indicative of the average ratings throughout the season.

There's also the fact that while on one of the digital channels the entire season including the final had FTA coverage.

As for the participation/viewership we'll have to agree to disagree.

T

Train Without a Station

Of course it's new. How long has netball been televised? Or even had a national product to be televised?

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
It is a bad sign. That is all I am saying.

How can we go to TV and ask for more money to compete with other sports when the likes of netball can hold up superior figures? Final or no final.

It's depressing.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Popular spectator sports and popular sports for participation are very often different.

Fishing would be close to Australia's biggest participation sport. I don't see it pulling in heaps of TV viewers.

T

Train Without a Station

Netball has been televised for quite some time. Prior to the establishment of the ANZ Championship it featured on the ABC.

Australia started it's first national league in 1997 and the ANZ Championship commenced in 2008.

My previous point was more so how could it have a history of televised success? As a TV product it is only now maturing and capitalizing on the popularity of the sport.

T

Train Without a Station

Popular spectator sports and popular sports for participation are very often different.

Fishing would be close to Australia's biggest participation sport. I don't see it pulling in heaps of TV viewers.

Seems to be a bucketload of shithouse fishing shows on TV that's for sure.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It is a bad sign. That is all I am saying.

How can we go to TV and ask for more money to compete with other sports when the likes of netball can hold up superior figures? Final or no final.

It's depressing.

If you look at it like for like where you took out the greater reach afforded to it by FTA (133,000) the final only drew 94,000 on Fox. The same platform Rugby is restricted to. Now let's compare the ratings on Fox for each regular seasons and the next fortnight.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Australia started it's first national league in 1997 and the ANZ Championship commenced in 2008.

My previous point was more so how could it have a history of televised success? As a TV product it is only now maturing and capitalizing on the popularity of the sport.

Right, okay. Makes sense. Though Netball has significant challenges ahead. As I mentioned earlier ratings for the regular season weren't flash. They actually have similar issues to that of Rugby.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The 2013 netball gf did 101k on foxsportd and then only 45k last year.

Anyway it was a great game and the last couple of minutes were as thrilling as anything I've seen all year.

If an oz team make the super gf it will do three times those numbers so don't worry too much. Maybe even more.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Cricket, Rugby League and AFL. Participation is indicative of popularity which translates to viewership. Those three are three of the biggest participation sports in the country and also dominate the ratings regardless whether it's FTA or PayTV.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fishing shows. Not fishing competitions. A little pedantic true... but how do they rate compared to the major 3 sports outlined?

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surely the true measure is the two figures added together?

The fact netball is free to air and rugby is not speaks for itself unfortunately.

T

Train Without a Station

Fishing shows. Not fishing competitions. A little pedantic true. but how do they rate compared to the major 3 sports outlined?

Well fishing competitions aren't the participation you spoke of.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
They are a more accurate representation of the participation sport itself rather than looking at a lure in a tackle shop!

Anyway, this is getting off track.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Soccer has long been the biggest participation sport. Until recently, it didn't rate on TV at all pretty much.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
The main question is what can we do as a sport to improve TV ratings, which have been slipping this year and seem to be on a dangerous downward trajectory compared to other sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.