• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
FFA are about to post a loss this financial year too.

Newcastle team in dire straights. QLD Roar not far behind.

It's a tough business this running a national team, national competition and national sport.

It is, and you can only ride your own hype for so long. The FFA pumped money in to the Asian cup with some reward, but obviously it didn't fix the domestic issues.

I think this is on of the keys elements that sporting codes with national teams need to pay most attention to - that the domestic market is the foundation to success, and not the other way around. If the locals aren't watching, who is? And when they are is it just on special occasions?

So reading the press today the key elements that jump out to me is the ARU changing rules because we player who have left to come back to give us a chance to win a WC, that we are seeing suggestions of them needing to / or even considering forking out hundreds of thousands of dollars for "special" WC player - this when on the other hand they are cutting cost and crying poor.

The above really send a message that de-values our current players and depth in the game - I am calling this the "Kewell" strategy - the marketing worked, the public ate it up, it cost a motza, he miked them and in reality he wast at a standard to get a gig in the domestic competition and after apparently being very patriotic is in China because they showed him the money; and the FFA is about to post a loss.

The hype ended abruptly post Asian Cup - but the "domestically" based players still play on here but as they weren't marketed the support diminished. Looking from a player perspective I think it would be fair to say the FFA didn't really show them much love for there efforts or loyalty so I would expect options elsewhere would be attractive - go where you are wanted.

Now what are junior soccer player seeing atm? Less support for the game, the hype and excitement gone, players leaving for better opportunities etc etc.

So I think a good question to ponder is if the equivalent amount of money from ARU contracts was pumped in in to the NRC, say extending it to 12 teams, funding 5 EPS spots in each of the super franchises, and then some in to reducing juniors fees would it increase rates, increase the supporter base and develop talent, and most importantly, attached further financial support?

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
FFA are about to post a loss this financial year too.

Newcastle team in dire straights. QLD Roar not far behind.

It's a tough business this running a national team, national competition and national sport.

Last year they only generated a profit because they sold Wanderers for 10 million. They havent sold Newcastle and the Asian Cup generates nothing for them, and they make nothing from the interational friendlies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Last year they only generated a profit because they sold Wanderers for 10 million. They havent sold Newcastle and the Asian Cup generates nothing for them, and they make nothing from the interational friendlies.

Which leads to the question is it why other codes are doing so well with only a domestic product (as its there solitary focus and option); which in the globalisied market we operate in should be revenue and market-share limiting?

So why with codes that have the international component, which is a element you wish for to expand your market seemingly a burden?

Is it simply that the the marketing is focused incorrectly at the international level at the expense of the domestic product?

So we know AFL is like Vegemite, a novelty O/S but not to the taste of non-natives so its limited to a domestic market. But Rugby is like ice-cream, it liked everywhere right, so why is it struggling here in Australia?

If there was a great Australian flavour that was appealing to international tastes just based on the rate of consumption domestically surely it would be popular O/S? But it has to be popular with the locals to get that reputation. Bit like the way we associated hot-dogs and New York.

Is it because the ARU are serving rich vanilla, with strawberries in a bowl to suit the white collar tastes at the boardroom level and the executive and money types as the international level?

Where as the Joe Smith average punter with simple non-wanky tastes and limited budget is wanting a single scoop basic vanilla in a cone - and looking to find where they can get it?

Either they go without, go to where the cater for the blue collar tastes like at the League where its available all the time, or have the occasional ARU stuff in a bowl which is too rich to have too often.

Culturally we like our single scoop vanilla in a cone - as do all supporters of domestic codes.

So why are the ARU serving the wanky stuff in a bowl I cant get every weekend to keep me satisfied? If it was the occasional treat, like an indulgence it would be great, but its not a staple food and as such its hard consume a lot.

**the word ice-cream and beer are interchangeable based individual choice.

T

Train Without a Station

Because other codes can trailer the game to what the market wants. Rugby and Soccer cannot.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
I think part of the problem is that youve got a fledgling NRC competition, 1/3rd of a multinational competition with all the countries good players - that are only in Australia for 1/3rd of their matches, and the test schedule/international sevens.

Ive often wondered what would happen if the ARU canned the NRC, quit the Super Rugby competition and based a national competition playing every week in Australia on its 5 super franchises, plus a couple of new ones. (like QLD2, NSW2, SA for example).

On a ratings average basis theres no reason why the ARU cant keep up with soccer, the fox averages are near identical at least, as long as they can get a game a week on FTA. The problem is when you are playing in NZ or SA time then your ratings are going to be for crap.

You've got a great Test drawcard, you could and should have a great domestic product, but Im not sure you can while the 5 super rugby teams play half their matches outside the country with all the top flight talent.

Forgive me if Im off base here.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Well, we're more or less locked in until 2020 with Super Rugby 5.0, we'll see what the Saffas demand then and go from there, especially if the articles about the NRC being backed in some form until then being accurate.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think part of the problem is that youve got a fledgling NRC competition, 1/3rd of a multinational competition with all the countries good players - that are only in Australia for 1/3rd of their matches, and the test schedule/international sevens.

You've missed the kicker though Wookie.

The main issue of a competition involving overseas teams is the fact that there is a high chance that no Australian team will be playing on Grand Final day. And even if they are they will be playing overseas roughly half the time.

The NRL and AFL know that despite all the shit that goes on in the season, there will be one very very happy set of fans on Grand Final night. That equates to tickets, memberships, merchandise etc. Sure, teams will struggle, but that is evened out by the teams that succeed each year.

But in Super Rugby our teams tend to struggle and it doesn't even out. We very rarely get that bump in ratings, attendance, $$$ that a premiership season brings. We talk about the Reds 2011 or Tahs 2014 with breathless joy, but the NRL/AFL have one of them every year. We are lucky to have one every 5.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
You've missed the kicker though Wookie.

The main issue of a competition involving overseas teams is the fact that there is a high chance that no Australian team will be playing on Grand Final day. And even if they are they will be playing overseas roughly half the time.

The NRL and AFL know that despite all the shit that goes on in the season, there will be one very very happy set of fans on Grand Final night. That equates to tickets, memberships, merchandise etc. Sure, teams will struggle, but that is evened out by the teams that succeed each year.

But in Super Rugby our teams tend to struggle and it doesn't even out. We very rarely get that bump in ratings, attendance, $$$ that a premiership season brings. We talk about the Reds 2011 or Tahs 2014 with breathless joy, but the NRL/AFL have one of them every year. We are lucky to have one every 5.

That's a really good point.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ive often wondered what would happen if the ARU canned the NRC, quit the Super Rugby competition and based a national competition playing every week in Australia on its 5 super franchises, plus a couple of new ones. (like QLD2, NSW2, SA for example.

It could be argued that Melbourne, Canberra & Perth NRC teams are already based on the S15 sides based there & that QC (Quade Cooper)-GC is QLD2 so in reality you're talking about cutting 2 x NSW teams & adding one from SA or wherever...........

To answer your hypothetical, I suspect they'd go broke in Season 2 & that's assuming they could find anyone willing to broadcast Season 1.

T

TOCC

Global Season
I think Australia needs to bite the bullet, adopt a global season and shift professional rugby to Summer. It wouldn't be easy, but there are a number of benefits including not competing with AFL and NRL and allowing for better scheduling with Europe.

Fix the current scheduling
Bar that happening i think having to pause the Super Rugby season for the June test(in non RWC yeas) is a ridiculous concept and something which I think should stop. Rather then pausing the tournament i would prefer to see the number of games halved by simply splitting rounds over two weekends. It would hurt some teams, but i think its better then stopping the tournament and losing all momentum.

New Tournament
Ultimately, i want to see the Super Rugby tournament become the equivalent of the 'European Champions Cup'. Teams would have to qualify for the 'Super Rugby Cup' through their own national tournament, only the top 9 would qualify it would be a simple round robin tournament with a semi-final and grand-final. The bottom 9 would go into the Southern Cross Rugby Championship which would also be a round robin tournament with a semi-final and grand final.

Super Rugby Season would be split along these lines:

Feb-May: National Tournaments
May-Aug: Super Rugby Cup & Southern Cross Rugby Championship

Reactions: mst

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That would be hard to pull off with how farking hot it is in the Summer in OZ. We've had some games over here in Perth early in the Super season where the temperature has nudged 40c in the afternoon before kick off. I don't think people will be crazy about doing that every year and neither will the players. I'm not really in favour of splitting the Super season either and would be open to suggestions on how to fix it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah the Global season will only happen if Europe shift to the summer, no chance we can play rugby in our summer.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Europe shifting to summer would make more sense. But if the A League can be played over our summer then it's definitely possible to play rugby. We already play in February, which is often the hottest month of the year. You'd just have to have water breaks on the really hot nights.

Doubt it'll happen though. And sure, we'd avoid the NRL and AFL for a few months but we'd have to compete with cricket, soccer, Australian Open etc. There's no big blocks of free air in the calendar.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The quality of games played in Brisbane over Nov - Feb would be atrocious. Hot, wet, high humidity, stoppages all the time. There'd be record numbers of handling errors and probably a record low amount of actual rugby played.

We already have had some super rugby players hospitalised in those conditions (Cheetahs reds game in 2009)

Not for me thanks.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeah the Global season will only happen if Europe shift to the summer, no chance we can play rugby in our summer.

That's certainly true at the moment. But Singapore has built an air conditioned stadium, there will be several for the Soccer World Cup in 2022.

Could happen in time. Facilities to be shared by the two international football codes.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Levering off the current scheduling, could we split the NRC to play through the June test window (the 2 games a week format like the ITM could be used) and either top of tail our soup season or EOYT? If its a 10 wk comp we may only need find another 2-4wk window.

Any arguments about resting players / availability etc are offset by the fact this is supposed to be third tier, so its a train up or development comp.

But could we also do this without disrupting the state based comps like shute?

Irishwaratahso

Frank Row (1)
Let me give you a European perspective.

The English Premiership have just signed a new big money deal with BT Sport which will see their league increase to 14 teams the season after next.

The Top14 have just signed the biggest domestic rugby TV contract in the world.

Then there is European rugby money on top of this. Then crowds for certain games are very large for European rugby, Leinster had 45,000 at their quarter final against Bath.

The six nations are about to sign a new £50 million (pounds) a year not sure what that is in AUS dollars to screen just five rounds of rugby. Besides all these matches sell out. When twickenham sells out it makes £7 million pounds. All the other SN countries make great money too. The RFU have flat out said they would never move the dates of the six nations.

Given that these European leagues are so lucrative and countries like England are so stubborn I can't see the European season going to the summer. They simply make too much money to change. That said I would like if it did and fitted in with the super rugby calendar however I'm unsure how the Top14 could fit in all their fixtures.

Are you sure the Southern Hemisphere couldn't go to a summer season? Brisbane and Perth would struggle. NZ teams would be fine. Could the South Africans cope with the heat?

World Rugby who want the calendar changed have a serious job on their hands!

T

TOCC

Whilst i think a change was needed for Super Rugby in 2016, i think the inclusion of the 6th South African team and the Japanese team on top of all the quality players who are leaving for Europe will compromise the quality of rugby on display. I think Super Rugby overall will be a lesser product in 2016 with more blowout score-lines, a bigger gap between the best and worst teams, less competitive teams and a lower quality of product.

I think the way forward to recapture the competitiveness and quality of Super Rugby to the level that we had in the 2000's is to develop a champions cup concept. People may dismiss it, but the European Rugby Champions Cup appeals because its the best 20 european teams playing against each other.

How would SANZAR structure something like that? Well thats the issue, you could have the current conferences serve as the qualifying period, and then the best teams from each conference get selected for the SANZAR Champions Cup, the bottom teams from each conference go through to a Challenge Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.