• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Do you mind sharing last years numbers?
When the matches are shared 10/one its hard to find sometimes because they don't crack the top 20 individually.

Foxsports rating up quite a bit on last year (~30k)

Numbers I used are based on comparative numbers that were posted in the Super Rugby TV ratings 2014 thread for the Wallabies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I watched the game on foxtel when I got home from work and cant remember the last time I watched anything on FTA but the Ten and One result astounds me.

From what I recall One is HD and Ten is SD, why would three times as many people choose the SD vision?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I watched the game on foxtel when I got home from work and cant remember the last time I watched anything on FTA but the Ten and One result astounds me.

From what I recall One is HD and Ten is SD, why would three times as many people choose the SD vision?
Was only on Ten in the "rugby states" and only on one everywhere else

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
That was actually something that annoyed me a bit. It's very frustrating that 10 didn't show the game in HD in Sydney, as it improves the viewing experience by so much.
The networks are going to have to make a decision about this sort of thing fairly quickly aren't they.

They must be losing viewers having their big events only in SD

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Was 198k for Fox Sports.

Total of 603k. Good jump from Super Rugby and shows there is demand for locally played content in good time zones when available.

It's not bad, but I also reckon it's disappointing for such a brilliant test... That game was more thrilling than any of the 4 million plus rating State of Origin matches this year - and I say that as someone who likes Rugby League almost as much as Union.

The fact that we couldn't crack 1 million, or even get close to selling out Suncorp, when Queenslanders showed themselves quite willing to pack it out for some random pommy soccer team playing a meaningless practice match is cause for serious concern.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The competition was pretty fierce on Saturday night. Swans vs Hawks and Dragons vs Rabbitohs. Plus Ashes, plus Tour de France plus British Open plus Fremantle vs Carlton.

State of Origin is played on Wednesday nights and clashes with nothing. More people are also at home on a week night. Maybe playing the odd test match on a Wednesday or Thursday night is worth considering if ratings are the most important thing.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The competition was pretty fierce on Saturday night. Swans vs Hawks and Dragons vs Rabbitohs. Plus Ashes, plus Tour de France plus British Open plus Fremantle vs Carlton.

State of Origin is played on Wednesday nights and clashes with nothing. More people are also at home on a week night. Maybe playing the odd test match on a Wednesday or Thursday night is worth considering if ratings are the most important thing.
I have no doubt we'd get better ratings on a Wednesday, but I don't think we'd get good enough ratings for the networks to actually ask for it. Especially as it would mean interruption for other high profile shows like master chef etc

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have no doubt we'd get better ratings on a Wednesday, but I don't think we'd get good enough ratings for the networks to actually ask for it. Especially as it would mean interruption for other high profile shows like master chef etc

I think the Bledisloe Cup could get pretty big ratings on a week day. Especially if it was a decider. Or even just a home Bledisloe Cup match if it was part of a 2 game series (with the winner determined by the total score over 160 minutes).

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I think the Bledisloe Cup could get pretty big ratings on a week day. Especially if it was a decider. Or even just a home Bledisloe Cup match if it was part of a 2 game series (with the winner determined by the total score over 160 minutes).

Maybe if we started winning it again... but for 13 years now it's just been the annual "All Black Clinic on how to play total rugby"

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe if we started winning it again. but for 13 years now it's just been the annual "All Black Clinic on how to play total rugby"

It's funny how this has adversely affected the popularity of the Bledisloe Cup when State of Origin has got bigger and bigger during Queensland's decade of dominance.

Though I suppose it probably wouldn't be the same if NSW had won the last 9 out of 10.

T

TOCC

It's funny how this has adversely affected the popularity of the Bledisloe Cup when State of Origin has got bigger and bigger during Queensland's decade of dominance.

Though I suppose it probably wouldn't be the same if NSW had won the last 9 out of 10.

The major difference is that NSW has been relatively competitive in the SOG and in addition to that the winning team has come from Australia, whereas the winning in the Bledisloe is form another country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

But when NSW dominated Origin there was talk of it losing relevance.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The major difference is that NSW has been relatively competitive in the SOG and in addition to that the winning team has come from Australia, whereas the winning in the Bledisloe is form another country.

Well it seems like it's got more popular in Sydney and NSW too.

I actually think it would be less popular in Sydney now if NSW had won 9 of the last 10. Before this period of QLD dominance NSW had won 3 in a row and there was already talk about the concept potentially dying. If it had gone on for another 5 years a lot of people in NSW would have got bored of it.

The advantage of the Bledisloe should be that it's relevant to all Australians - but Origin now gets huge ratings all over the country. It's a media driven hype machine that we only get near during world cups if we make the semi finals. There's no reason the Bledisloe couldn't be as big every year, but it'd need the same level of media hype. And so how do you gain that? It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. But having some free space from other sports (by playing it on a Wednesday for example) could help.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
But when NSW dominated Origin there was talk of it losing relevance.

I think in competitions like the Bledisloe or Origin, dominance by one team can be sustained whilst increasing the interest in it, but only if that dominance is by the team that started out as underdogs.

In Origin the whole point was to give a written off Qld side a fair crack, but people still expected them to get spanked. When NSW started dominating that early 00s period people started to go off it a bit, because NSW has half the NRL teams so it kinda seems like they should win Origin all the time. That they don't is what makes Qld's wins more dramatic.

In the Bledisloe it's a little different, but the principle is the same - the All Blacks had dominated Australia for decades until the 80s, only dropping rare series, so when Australia started winning it the underdog value of our wins and the development of a genuine rivalry generated great interest.

It's why when we won it 5 years in a row (well, retained it) interest was still sky high. But the All Blacks thumping us year after year is a little like the Kangaroos thumping the Kiwis in they way they once did - it just gets boring because there's no theatre to it - it's just what you expect to happen.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
SOO Is more popular mainly because loig is far more popular.

Plus, of course, it provides a predictable schedule for advertisers and sponsors, three games in prime time.

The Bledisloe, on the other hand, only has one, sometimes two, games in prime time.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Here you go

Happily admit my maths were off ( I am surprised by the 10/one figures), and with the horrors of last year that makes comparison a bit more difficult it does seem its comparative to last year. I actually hoped the WC hype would bring more and off the back of last week I have some optimism.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The networks are going to have to make a decision about this sort of thing fairly quickly aren't they.

They must be losing viewers having their big events only in SD

We can wish - as the NRL supporters are stuck in SD hell with the current FTA broadcast deal. Most live games are on SD (AKA: stupid definition!). It reminds me of the blocky men on the Atari era games when you are watching!

The die-hard NRL supporters I work with will deliberately quarantine themselves where possible to watch the replay on Foxtel.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Here you go

Sadly rugby union is in dire straits in this country and ranks somewhere between darts and weightlifting in sporting popularity. That said ratings for Wallabies games don't ever take into account the fact that many rugby types will watch them at a local pub collectively, particularly a Bledisloe game. This would impact ratings as it's based on households. State of Origin is on a mid week night and is predominantly a family couch event. I think you could add a 100k to rugbys numbers to get a clearer view of who's watching. Even buying my story the end result is still a shocking figure for the ARU.

Status
Not open for further replies.