• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The networks are going to have to make a decision about this sort of thing fairly quickly aren't they.

They must be losing viewers having their big events only in SD
I don't understand why 2,7,9 and 10 don't just switch their main and secondary channels and have HD for their main programs and SD for the secondary.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I don't understand why 2,7,9 and 10 don't just switch their main and secondary channels and have HD for their main programs and SD for the secondary.
I actually googled it after posting that to see if there is a reason because it seems crazy.

Of course it's regulated. The main channel had to be in SD during the digital switchover, and the requirement hasn't been changed yet. Get onto the communications minister about it.

There's no reason why they can't mirror their main channel on the HD channel though, other than $$$$

T

TOCC

Channels won't simulcast the SD and HD channel because it's a waste of the spectrum, that's one less channel they have to advertise on. SBS simulcasts it's SD channel onto HD but SBS has different priorities to the commercial networks.

The primary channel will eventually become a HD channel, the spectrum is available to do so, it's just a matter of amending the regulations governing it.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Here you go

Eyeballing those figures, this Test actually looks pretty decent compared to last year. The early NZ tests were off the back of a Tahs Super win, so it's no surprise we didn't get near them. It doesn't look like they're killing it, but a win in Argentina could see some good interest coming into the NZ game, which would be a RC decider and in Sydney on Saturday prime time. A few reasons to be optimistic :)

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Channels won't simulcast the SD and HD channel because it's a waste of the spectrum, that's one less channel they have to advertise on. SBS simulcasts it's SD channel onto HD but SBS has different priorities to the commercial networks.

The primary channel will eventually become a HD channel, the spectrum is available to do so, it's just a matter of amending the regulations governing it.

I agree generally, for example for the RL, but 10 could be pulling some viewership from Fox if they offered HD for the rugby. I'm not sure that the metrics would stack up to actually make it profitable, but I don't think it's as straightforward as it is for general viewing.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Excellent article with lots of charts on the Roar today.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/07/22/super-rugby-numbers-tv/

xR2LFdK

I put together a quick chart of the above information. The number above the line is the number of games in the data set. It shows a pretty clear decline, but a bit of an uptick in the total ratings for 2015. While the average still goes down, the higher number of games over 2014 suggests more games made it into the top 20 programs in order to receive the ratings treatment, which would suggest a not entirely negative outcome.

Overall picture: not rosy, but not as bad as you might think if you take a straight line from 2010 and ignore the 2012 uptick. It does seem to indicate that the Reds did a far better job of mobilising their base after their win than the Tahs did though.

NB: 2013 is an average of all other years as there is no actual data provided in the article.

Edit: Image above appears to be broken, see: http://imgur.com/xR2LFdK

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Had a similar look at the numbers (which were compiled by the_Wookie - so thanks to him)

Unfortunately there appears to be quite a lot of Aussie home games (~20%) and almost all of the NZ home games (~70%) missing for 2014 which are going to throw the 2014 numbers off quite a bit.

42 games v 75-80ish for all of the other years.

Hard to draw too many conclusions other than 2012 was really good, and we're probably down from that peak. (But then aren't the AFL and NRL as well? Might be a PayTV thing rather than a rugby thing)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The major difference is that NSW has been relatively competitive in the SOG and in addition to that the winning team has come from Australia, whereas the winning in the Bledisloe is form another country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's the point. SOO is Aussies vs Aussies, so the winner always is an Aussie. In the Bledisloe the winners always are the Kiwis :p

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
Am I right in thinking payTV ratings are down for everybody The_Wookie? Seems like less than legal HD streams, Foxtel Go etc must be having an effect.

Love your website by the way (footyindustry.com)

Dont underestimate the effect that mobile and tablet apps are having too. Its thought that this is why theres some of the drop in AFL/NRL ratings. Theres a fair few people that have apparently dropped off the ratings radar.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Eyeballing those figures, this Test actually looks pretty decent compared to last year. The early NZ tests were off the back of a Tahs Super win, so it's no surprise we didn't get near them. It doesn't look like they're killing it, but a win in Argentina could see some good interest coming into the NZ game, which would be a RC decider and in Sydney on Saturday prime time. A few reasons to be optimistic :)

It depends on how you look at it - they're good in comparison to the poor figures for the last home game against South Africa, but when you take into account that was in a less than Rugby centric Perth and the fact that Sydney scored a bigger crowd against France by thousands, then it's a little worrying.

A warm up series against France in Sydney, whilst being on a beautiful Sunday arvo at our favoured stadium, shouldn't get a better crowd than a critical Rugby Championship match against arch-rivals South Africa.

I know there's a lot of context around the troubles with Queensland rugby, but I was still pretty surprised at that turn out when you had people flocking to a pointless soccer game

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
It depends on how you look at it - they're good in comparison to the poor figures for the last home game against South Africa, but when you take into account that was in a less than Rugby centric Perth and the fact that Sydney scored a bigger crowd against France by thousands, then it's a little worrying.

A warm up series against France in Sydney, whilst being on a beautiful Sunday arvo at our favoured stadium, shouldn't get a better crowd than a critical Rugby Championship match against arch-rivals South Africa.

I know there's a lot of context around the troubles with Queensland rugby, but I was still pretty surprised at that turn out when you had people flocking to a pointless soccer game

Ah, sorry, I was talking specifically about TV ratings rather than crowd figures. I agree the crowd figures were a bit disappointing this past weekend. I must say, I was quite surprised that the stadium wasn't filled. It'll be interesting to see what the crowd is like for the Bledisloe though.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Ah, sorry, I was talking specifically about TV ratings rather than crowd figures. I agree the crowd figures were a bit disappointing this past weekend. I must say, I was quite surprised that the stadium wasn't filled. It'll be interesting to see what the crowd is like for the Bledisloe though.

If we beat Argentina and the boks upset the All Blacks, you'd hope it'd be a full house, as it'd be a clear cut RC decider.

There were 70k there last year, which in reality was itself a little disappointing, but the weather was crap and I suspect a lot of Rugby fans were still coming down from the Tahs epic win a couple weeks earlier (although I still went to both).

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
If we beat Argentina and the boks upset the All Blacks, you'd hope it'd be a full house, as it'd be a clear cut RC decider.

There were 70k there last year, which in reality was itself a little disappointing, but the weather was crap and I suspect a lot of Rugby fans were still coming down from the Tahs epic win a couple weeks earlier (although I still went to both).

Yup, I did both too. I've got a ticket for this year, but I'm away that weekend, which is devastating. I'm still pretty pumped to watch it though!

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Melbourne is a despicable city. 99k to see Real Madrid playing a meaningless practice match and the Wallabies can't get a sold out at the Etihad Stadium (capacity 53k).

The Real Madrid's friendly match was even bigger than the attendance of the SOO there (91k) :mad::mad::mad:

I think soccer is the second most popular sport for the Victorians, surpassed only by the AFL :eek::eek::eek:

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Euro Snob syndrome. Every year it happens. Fabulous European clubs (and occasionally mid table sides like West Ham and Liverpool) fly to Australia to do meaningless preseason friendlies and the combination of trash and snobs that don't give a solitary shit about Australian Soccer fly in from everywhere to see a pale imitation of a quality fixture, and in the process, show they know somewhere between zip and nada about football in general and it's culture.

The Melbourne Victory v Liverpool game was probably the best example of that. Was about 2 years ago. About 80k plastic Liverpool fans sang the chorus to "You'll Never Walk Alone", then, not knowing any further chants or songs spent about 95 minutes booing whenever Victory had possesion, despite the fact they played a significantly more positive style of Football.

As you can probably tell, I think football fans which don't support football locally, don't really get football at all.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Melbourne is a despicable city. 99k to see Real Madrid playing a meaningless practice match and the Wallabies can't get a sold out at the Etihad Stadium (capacity 53k).

The Real Madrid's friendly match was even bigger than the attendance of the SOO there (91k) :mad::mad::mad:

I think soccer is the second most popular sport for the Victorians, surpassed only by the AFL :eek::eek::eek:

MHCS

Soccer is in every state the number two code, with the possible exception of QLD when it may be Rugby.

Big A-League club matches in Melbourne often draw above 40 K.

Gallop released a report for Soccer earlier this year a kinda vision for the future a mud map of the past, where they currently are and what they have to do to advance.

He highlighted a key indicator that has scared the hell out of the AFL and TBH should scare us as well and TBH we all know it. FFA said in this report that only 19% of their player base actually watch Football on TV whereas the factor for NRL, Rugby and AFL was around 86%. Meaning the potential for growth is huge.

So its no surprise Soccer gets bigger crowds and higher ratings in the southern states.

The AFL are scared if Soccer can lift that % of player to TV viewer to between 30 & 40 % still well below the other codes average but given the player base the ratings could be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.