• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilfer

Bob McCowan (2)
Channel ten broadcast of the wallabies was fustrating this morning, with constant satellite issuses. Not a great way to sell the game. Whilst the morning session would not get as many views as a night session, it sure beats eating breakfast watching waking up with today

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And it's pretty good. ABC were averaging 30k. Given 7TWO would've known those ratings before they picked it up - would they be happy with that?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
They do broadcast it in Queensland, not sure about the other states. The ABC coverage was not live in Queensland, it was on delayed at 2 30 am Tuesdays.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Foxsports broadcast of Arg v Aus - 131,000 (Fair bit higher than last year - 78k)

Think we will struggle to get the FTA numbers unless an insider can post them as it didn't make top 20. So less than 288,000. (Was it shown on Ten or One in Melbourne etc? The split there may also have an effect)

T

TOCC

Foxsports broadcast of Arg v Aus - 131,000 (Fair bit higher than last year - 78k)

Think we will struggle to get the FTA numbers unless an insider can post them as it didn't make top 20. So less than 288,000. (Was it shown on Ten or One in Melbourne etc? The split there may also have an effect)

Channel 10, I watched it down in Melbourne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Bit late with this one, but the peak audience on the BBC for England v Wales on a Friday night in this month's six nations....

nine million!
Thats the trouble with being a minor backwater in terms of world rugby audiences. We just have too many codes competing for attention and not enough fans to go round

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
While rugby is growing internationally, it's not like it's quickly becoming a major sport all over the place. It's really only a significant sport in about 10 nations and those are the same nations it's been a major sport in for decades.

Taking over entrenched national sports in any country happens very rarely.

Yes, but still better than Aussie Rules or Rugby League when it cmes to internatioinal reputation and reach

T

TOCC

I had a thread tracking the crowds in the NRC forums.... Ratings are harder to come by and aren't publicly available.

But one broadcast trend that was identified from 2015 was that the QLD and NSW teams rated the highest and matches involving only teams outside of NSW/QLD rated poorly... Naturally this was to be expected...

They've structured the draw in 2015 in a way which ensures a QLD or NSW team is playing in each broadcast game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Shute Shield telecast seems to be getting a reasonable amount of sponsorship.

Pretty terrible coverage yesterday, the camera positions were too low.

On the bright side, at least we do have some nationally televised rugby on FTA.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Shute Shield telecast seems to be getting a reasonable amount of sponsorship.

Pretty terrible coverage yesterday, the camera positions were too low.

On the bright side, at least we do have some nationally televised rugby on FTA.

I noticed the inconsistencies in the camera work yesterday. Reminded me of the first game they ran. But apart from that try have been very good. I wonder how much it costs them to run that operation? Would be great if they could carry at least one NRC game a week as well.

The sponsorship growth has been good. Should allow the competition to build its sponsorship base if done right.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
tbh that is suggesting the knife only cuts one way.

as soccer becomes more popular to play and the a league more daggy to watch, it is arguable that, that 19% will only decrease. Not to mention potential upticks in the AFL and Rugby League from the soccer playing population.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
tbh that is suggesting the knife only cuts one way.

as soccer becomes more popular to play and the a league more daggy to watch, it is arguable that, that 19% will only decrease. Not to mention potential upticks in the AFL and Rugby League from the soccer playing population.

I assume this is in reply to a post I made a couple of weeks back on page 28.

Part of the post.

He highlighted a key indicator that has scared the hell out of the AFL and TBH should scare us as well and TBH we all know it. FFA said in this report that only 19% of their player base actually watch Football on TV whereas the factor for NRL, Rugby and AFL was around 86%. Meaning the potential for growth is huge.

I think your assumption Soccer will drop from 19% lower is wrong, they have never had a national domestic competition that was mainstream accepted before and Gallop and his FFA team add Lowy are competent managers and IMO they will lift the watching %.

Further to assume daggy well its your call.

All I am saying we need to be aware. I also am of the opinion we rugby folk have over estimated our problems and under estimated what we have to offer.

Its not like other sports are any better more other sports have out manoeuvred us in political and media interest, Especially AFL who seem to have governments falling over themselves to help them.

We need to get better at the political stuff maybe our own Frank Lowy is what we need.

However that viewing patterns are in a state of change and like Soccer we have an international presence that League and AFL will never have we need to look at how the Socceroos have been marketed and presented as like in many other areas we are being manoeuvred by the FFA. OMG how they managed the Asian Cup was IMO excellent management. As has been the big European sides coming out.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Right, we need to find our own Frank Lowy.

A billionaire who loves rugby to excess, and is prepared to throw scores of millions at the game.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.