• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NRL Stats for the year.

ratings.jpg

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Strewth

The world cup will be interesting to see how the ratings trend. I think they will be better than most think, well that's the feeling in my bones.

TWAS

Re your post about some key consulting folk. My guess is we are locked in with the SANDZAR's partners their scheduling, their calender etc. The huge advantage AFL and RL and to a lessor extent the A-League have is they control who and when they play and its done at a very high level as to matching key dates with certain matches.

You have often discussed the dilemma we face with needed Super Rugby income, against building a local or local national competition and how we transmission between the too.

I don't think anyone can work with the few games we have in Australia and [remember I still believe the NRC should have emerged from the Shute teams so I am old fashion] but I still question why we have Perth rather than a Western Sydney team something I send some letters in at the time. We seem to have left WS to Football and League with AFL also spending up big, yet it is an area with a very high PI population and a stadium at Penrith. Rrrr old war wounds I should forget and move on I know please don't lecture me.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Is there room for a second franchise in Sydney? The Waratahs are not exactly setting the world on fire, and, make no mistake, they are in the best position to attract sponsors and other forms of corporate interest.

On the face of it, going to Perth looked good, a lot of expats retire there from Asia, the bid had huge community support at the time. It beat Melbourne, after all. In retrospect a lot of damage was done by the Firepower debacle.

A franchise in Western Sydney would just be a charitable cause for ever. Can we really afford that?

I used to think that the PI community would generate a huge community upswell in rugby in Western Sydney. But frankly their kids seem to prefer the other code.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Is there room for a second franchise in Sydney? The Waratahs are not exactly setting the world on fire, and, make no mistake, they are in the best position to attract sponsors and other forms of corporate interest.

On the face of it, going to Perth looked good, a lot of expats retire there from Asia, the bid had huge community support at the time. It beat Melbourne, after all. In retrospect a lot of damage was done by the Firepower debacle.

A franchise in Western Sydney would just be a charitable cause for ever. Can we really afford that?

I used to think that the PI community would generate a huge community upswell in rugby in Western Sydney. But frankly their kids seem to prefer the other code.

Their preference for one code over the other has more to do with opportunity than anything else. Rugby has a much narrower scope in that regard. Most of these kids enjoy the contact nature and many do play both. I have known a number who have gone the League route because of more opportunity but if given the option of like for like would have kept playing Rugby instead.

Believe it or not most really don't care which code they play just the one they have the best chance of building a career in.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Could not have said it better myself. They do not prefer league at all. That's bullshit. If they're playing league over rugby it's because the opportunities are better. I think the RWC will only enforce that, the PI kids will dream of one day representing their nation (or Aus/NZ) at the RWC.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'm pretty confident a western Sydney team would be be less of a financial drag on Australian rugby than the Rebels or the Brumbies right now.

If there is an untapped market for the game in Western Sydney they could show it by actually turning up at Rams matches.

Are you suggesting that the Brumbies and/or the Rebels should be scrapped?

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
working class ruggers post - kids dont care which one they play, they just play where they get the most opportunity, best opportunity to build a career etc.

qwertys post - couldnt agree more, in fact they are all playing league but they actually deep down want to be playing union.

I dont think thats agreement.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Inevitably, there are kids playing union who would prefer to be playing league and kids playing league who would prefer to be playing union. Just due to circumstance.

Oddly enough in terms of professional opportunities, I think the rugby schools that dont support / push there kids playing sg ball or matts if they get the opportunity are doing the kids a disservice to both their potential union or league career. As unlikely as either is, you should be pushing whatever opportunity comes there way whether it be in league or union.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Rugby schools whose games are played on Saturdays are always going to want their best kids to play for their school.

Plus a lot of these good kids are on sporting scholarships, naturally they are expected to play for their supper.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
This is why I liked my country public school.

We played both League and Union for the school during the week and then chose one or the other to play club football on the weekend.

This system worked pretty well and we realised that both games were fun to play.

Reactions: gel

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Pretty big numbers on fox for the Hayne Plane. That's super bowl level. Lets see how they go next week..

Hype tends to have the effect. I agree. Next week should be interesting to see if they can maintain the hype. There not going to see anywhere near the levels out of the US media now the season has started. He was their success story of the preseason. Now the further he goes in his journey the more they'll expect him to perform. Unless, he begins to tear it up I suspect he'll just be another face come mid season.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Hype tends to have the effect. I agree. Next week should be interesting to see if they can maintain the hype. There not going to see anywhere near the levels out of the US media now the season has started. He was their success story of the preseason. Now the further he goes in his journey the more they'll expect him to perform. Unless, he begins to tear it up I suspect he'll just be another face come mid season.

If Reggie bush returns then Hayne will be lucky to be on the field more than three times. It is a long three hours for a non NFL fan to watch to see the hype

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Ratings for the first game of the World Cup are out.....and they aren't great.

22k for those on mobile.

Timezones are going to be very tough for this WC

9.4 million viewers on ITV in the UK!

runningrugbyrules

Chris McKivat (8)

I worked in Western Sydney for the Bulldogs and Panthers for a number of years, the kids out West don't care for Union as it's not on free to air. They need to get Super Rugby on free to air in prime time or they will never win the west thus the ratings.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I worked in Western Sydney for the Bulldogs and Panthers for a number of years, the kids out West don't care for Union as it's not on free to air. They need to get Super Rugby on free to air in prime time or they will never win the west thus the ratings.

Getting Super Rugby onto FTA is a challenge on par with squaring the circle, unfortunately.

If Foxtel takes over TEN it might become a possibility, but it would also require a lot of fiddling with the fixtures list to ensure that there is one prime time game on every week on the same day, at the same time.

The other possibility is a Trans-Tasman competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.