• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Ratings 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The new season is about to start with a new media deal.

I wonder aloud how our ratings will be this year.

I think and improvement by the Reds would add to the ratings.

After a successful world cup well the not getting through the group stages as some said was not bad.

Recent years have seen our rating slide a little and again could be the Reds.

The new AFL and NRL media deals IMO mean it will be difficult to get meaningful coverage or say positive coverage from 7 & 9. 10 is ours but I have never seen cross promotion like 7 & 9 give their sports.

Football ratings were down but recently have rebounded but down overall for their season. They will sign a new media deal sometime over the next 12 months.

Strew looking forward to the new season and your posts.

May I suggest we rebadge this thread so we can look back on similar points last year essentially make this thread the ratings thread for this season.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
First ratings for the year (as always, thanks to @mediaweekaus)

Brumbies v Hurricanes - 90k
Blues v Highlanders - 53k

Not bad. Above most of the A-league and basketball, but swamped by Collingwood in the NAB cup

T

TOCC

Yeah not bad, Reds v Tahs should hopefully be closer to 150k, but general ill feeing in QLD may bring it down closer to 120k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah not bad, Reds v Tahs should hopefully be closer to 150k, but general ill feeing in QLD may bring it down closer to 120k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anything more than about 125k would be the highest rating non-finals game since the corresponding game in 2013 (I think!).

If it's going to happen today is the day - post World Cup glow, no NRL or CWC to distract anyone. Historically our two most popular teams. This is where we probably see the current Super rugby ceiling.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah not too bad I guess. Sometimes I wonder what people want. Both of those games were bloody good for differing reasons. Deserve more people watching.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pretty good numbers. You'd have hoped more would have stayed up for the Australian game, but maybe a few were fed up at that point, either with too much rugby or just the Tahs v Reds game in general.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty good numbers. You'd have hoped more would have stayed up for the Australian game, but maybe a few were fed up at that point, either with too much rugby or just the Tahs v Reds game in general.
It's a pretty awseome rating for the 9pm/10pm game. They are great numbers. Haven't seen their like for a couple of seasons now.

Hopefully they can withstand the AFL/NRL onslaught next week.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
150k is a strong number - Fox sports would be happy with that. considering all Foxtel have to do a show someone's else's footage, theyd be happy with 60k for the Sunwolves game- beats most A-league games.
It looks like every Saturday will have a feast of rugby with 3-4 Super Rugby games plus Shute shield which has started to get some good ratings last year.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unfortunately the Waratahs / Reds game was so dire for large parts, especially in the 2nd half. I can imagine some of the fringe fans who watched last night probably won't be tuning back in.

The best thing that could happen for super rugby tv ratings in Australia would be for Australian derby's to stop sucking so often!!

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Tahs v Reds 149k
Force v Rebels 70k
Crusaders v Chiefs 69k
Sunwolves v Lions 56k

They are excellent numbers lets hope we can maintain them over the season.

A mate sent me this from a sports forum and Rugby is left out and in context it was an AFL fan chatting to a Football fan about the relationship between crowds and ratings.

Those AFL sometimes have nothing better to do but I found this interesting and could be used as an argument for more home games in Australia

To the post

.just answering your question above – I agree the ratings are out of kilter with attendances, but I don’t have an answer, except that the A-League has managed to build a strong attendance culture, but that has not translated to embedded TV viewing.

Focusing on Fox TV, because that is the common denominator across all the codes – these are interesting stats (in round terms):
The NRL manages to attract an average 16,000 or so to every game, but the five games telecast on Fox average arounnd 210k, or a ratio of 13 TV viewers to every one attendee at a game.
The figures for the AFL are something like 32,000 average at a game and 175,000 average ratings (for all 9 games per round), for a ratio of 5.5 TV viewers to every one attendee at a game.
Currently A-League attendances are around an average of 13,000 for an average TV rating of 61,000 or 4.7 TV viewers for every attendee at a game.
I don’t have the Super rugby figures handy, but my guess is that it would be a very similar ratio to the A-League’s (just focusing on the Australian sides).
The NRL is an outlier, and no one is going to ever match that ratio in Australia (it is recognised as a very good TV product, and the ratio proves that).
However, the A-League ratio is only marginally below that of the AFL, and indeed, you’d have to say that it is capable of matching it with ease, i.e. 13,000 attendee average and 71,500 average rating.
It has been there in the past, it’s about 10,000 short now. It could just be that a newish competition is going to experience these ups and downs, that “star” players do make a difference (in attracting more neutrals), and that over time, you’d expect a 10 team comp to get a bit stale.
Also, worth mentioning that the Nix help keep those average ratings down, having said that, the NRL does not experience the same problem with the Warriors.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Different sports, different issues.

150k was a good result for the waratahs, that said I tuned in for about ten minutes before giving up on it.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Don't forget that from tomorrow arvo ONE will be MPEG-2 SD to make room for 10HD (MPEG-4) on channel 13

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Its a great start and I think game 2 may get better ratings being the Brumbies v Tahs.

Hopefully the Brumbies can be entertaining and drag the viewers in to week 3 v the Force.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Don't forget that from tomorrow arvo ONE will be MPEG-2 SD to make room for 10HD (MPEG-4) on channel 13

I wonder if this will have an impact on ratings?

Fortunately but bizarrely as the nations capital is considered a country town so we are Southern Cross and are unaffected by the change unlike you city slicker!

Its also great that the regional areas will keep HD as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.