• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Ratings 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Lets not get too carried away. Man u v Arsenal did 169k in the middle of the night on SBS, and they showed the highlights of that game at half time of Aus v franve instead of any analysis of the rugby.

Still, the coverage was good and ratings not too bad

Strew

120K is a very reasonable number.

My point and unless you want and I can run through it SBS and soccer have had a major falling out. SBS have been forced to keep showing the A-League thats how bad it is.

Like all FTA networks SBS want a major sport, once upon a time it was soccer. When the current A-League season ends SBS will not show Australian soccer and the way they are feeling at senior levels FFA can go to hell. FFA feel the same about SBS.

I am sure Pulver understands this, it is a huge chance to get what we have never really had and that is a FTA station supporting Rugby. Neither 7 or 10 had their heart in it. To SBS we could replace soccer.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Half,

I admire your continued sense of optimism. There is no way that rugby can replace soccer for SBS, unless and until there is a cross-Tasman domestic competition that puts all its games on at friendly time slots for Australian audiences.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Really Wam? At present SBS plays one A-League match a week. Super Rugby in its current form could easily replace this, with a 'match of the round' showed on Friday or Saturday night, simulcast on Fox.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Really Wam? At present SBS plays one A-League match a week. Super Rugby in its current form could easily replace this, with a 'match of the round' showed on Friday or Saturday night, simulcast on Fox.

Doesn't even have to replace it. They could go with the A-League on Friday nights and show Super Rugby on Saturdays.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

You and I both know that Fox will never, ever allow that to happen, don't we?

So I am talking about an alternative universe, where a FTA broadcaster is prepared to put up enough dosh to make it worthwhile for us, and that implies that there would be enough product for the broadcaster to pick and choose.

It also implies that we would have a lot of control over the match schedules so that our broadcaster is happy.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I suppose. More something to think about when the rights negotiations next roll around.

I think SBS would go for it, but it probably wouldn't work out financially. So it gets back to us taking a hit to get our game in front of more eyeballs, the classic dilemma.......

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Even the hugely successful (when compared with last year) 16/17 A-League season is only rating 82k people on SBS - last year only 60k on average tuned in. And that's with significantly better ratings on Fox than Super rugby has been getting

It's really not a huge audience

Would it really make much difference?

half

Alan Cameron (40)

So true. Its a matter of Fox allowing and that is were Pulver gets the big money to negotiate this. Pulver simply has to copy the arguments FFA made to get the A-League on SBS

Just on SBS's current A-League ratings. Its fair to say SBS and FFA are at war the reasons are many, but started three years ago. SBS management want a new sport they have almost gone out of there way to not promote the A=Leagye.

As we all know being on FTA in and of itself gets more general media.

Maybe I am way off the mark, but a Super match life each week at a certain time would be a mega foundation stone for us.

These things are never easy. As I understand it the ARU pays 7 to broadcast the SS. Why not give SBS a million to broadcast Super Rugby and take a million less from Fox. Cost is two million and the benefits huge.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
SBS are also very close to Optus right now and if on SBS I am sure Optus would look at us.

Good article about Optus from the fin review

http://www.afr.com/business/media-a...ith-chief-executive-allen-lew-20161111-gsn6ni

For Optus chief executive Allen Lew, the English Premier League is just the beginning.

Sitting inside Optus Sport headquarters at the telecommunications company's offices in Macquarie Park, Sydney, surrounded by television screens bringing in live feeds of football, cricket and data across its distribution channels, the Arsenal fan outlines his vision.

"There is a saying 'the future of video is mobile' and I believe more than that, the future of mobile is video. That's where we have made a big bet. It is not the only bet we will make, next year we will be talking about other things we'll be doing," Mr Lew told The Australian Financial Review.

"Right now, we are very unidimensional, we're just focusing on soccer fans … this is the start for us. It was a sizeable investment, we wanted to prove to Australians that we can do it, we've now proved it, we've done cricket, next year we'll be going beyond that."

Mr Lew said Optus is likely to stick with niche content.

The investment was a big one; Optus swooped on broadcast rights to the EPL last year, agreeing to pay $189 million over three years, or around $63 million per year, understood to be more than double the $20 million Fox Sports was paying.

"When we look at the number of customers that we have got and people who are engaged with Premier League, it's way above our business case, or what we thought we would get to justify paying for the Premier League," Mr Lew said.

Investing in a signal

In the quarter, Optus added 107,000 of its own branded mobile customers, a record three-month amount for the telco. It added 91,000 consumer and enterprise business postpaid subscribers. Overall, it added 84,000 to its total mobile base, after churn in prepaid. Optus did, however, take a significant hit to profit in the quarter, partially related to the costs of launching Optus Sport.

Mr Lew said 6 million hours of EPL have been watched since the season began, each week more there are more than 1 million plays and there was an even spread across mobile, tablet and PC viewing versus big screen viewing – although longer viewing times where generally on bigger screens.

Optus has not been without critics in its approach to EPL and users have not been shy about sharing their problems on Twitter using the hashtag #OptusOut.

Mr Lew said Optus has put a lot of time into making sure the signal can be taken from ground in the United Kingdom, to Optus HQ and then out across a range of devices.

"We've managed to do that today, it wasn't an easy feat. We digitised the video signal to between 2 megabits per second and 5 megabits per second, depending on which type of carriage the network the signal is going through," he said.

"Depending on the device, we also use different types of encoding. Whether it's the modern day HEVC coding that you see on the Fetch Gen 3, or it's the older type of technologies."

Inside Optus Sport HQ, staff can see how feeds are working across devices, how many people are watching as well as the average time taken to fix a user's problem all live over a match day.

"When people have better and better internet, of which NBN is a big part of that on the fixed line, I think that will certainly allow our strategy to be executed even better than what it is today," Mr Lew said.

"Hopefully those people who are in areas that don't have NBN are able to get a reasonable signal, it may not be HD, but at least it's reasonably good. Obviously, with faster and faster broadband and the roll out of NBN it makes it better for us, so we can start to encode at higher rates and people can get a much better signal and we can talk about even going into 4K."

Status
Not open for further replies.