• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 1987

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Went to France vs Fiji in the quarters, end-on from the terraces, awesome game. Can't rememeber why I didnt go to final must been too pricey

Anyway, ended up watching replay of the final on telly yesterday for first time, wow, things have changed in rugby.

Burst out laughing at the opening score. Captain Kirk on oppo 22, takes a tap kick standing stock still, hands the ball to Grant Fox, who is just standing there, and Fox plops over a droppy. Had completely forgotten that used to happen.

Kirk's best skill was dealing with the errant chunder biffed his way from the lineouts. Jesus, what shambolic affairs they used to be. No lifting and the hooker just chucked it in any old way as soon as he got his hands on it. Kirk MOTM for me, mad how he retired straight after even though he still looked all of 16 years old. Captains world rugby champions, Rhodes Scholar, CEO of Fairfax, fairly ho-hum life in all.

Keith Quinn was right when he intoned "Tough stuff. Here, in the Rugby World Cup Final" about 15 times. Eric Champ was offside the entire match. After every single whistle blast Champ would just keep going with whatever he happened to be doing at that time. Which was usually belting someone.

Scrums of course the biggest change. The 2 packs took about 1 millisecond to bind up any old how - they all just had a big old hug really - then the front rows just rammed their heads into each other when they were good and ready. They all seemed drunk. Ref was just a spectator. ZERO resets.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Recall going to a Wednesday afternoon double-header at Concord Oval during RWC 1987.

England played USA in the early game and Australia played Japan in the second match. Tickets were something like $10 and there would have only been a few thousand there. Sat in the sun on the eastern side.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I remember having a few beers with a large contingent of the Wallaby team mid-week between games at the pub where I worked. I remember Bill Campbell was one of the largest humans I ever did see. Nice bloke too.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Our semi against the Frogs in '87 I still maintain is one of the greatest rugby games I've seen. Champ was in the action in the last try too, going the sly elbow on Noddy from memory.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Unfortunately the bright sparks of NSW rugby put the Sydney matches at Concord Oval so most of the population couldn't get near the big matches.

I recall the deflation of playing Wales for 3rd place after the semi-final. Down by a point and David Codey sent off IIRC.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You were able to buy cans of Tooheys at Concord in those days too. A very relaxing afternoon in the sun watching two games of rugby.;)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I recall the deflation of playing Wales for 3rd place after the semi-final. Down by a point and David Codey sent off IIRC.

yep, and he was made captain of the Wallabies for the next test, v the All Blacks, in what would be his last test.

I remember we played a warm up test v Korea at Ballymore, which we won easily.

But I remember after we scored the first try, which was in the south-west corner of Ballymore (the corner between the Hill and the McLean Stand), Brian Smith was taking the shot at goal. All was quiet as he began his run up and then a small group of Korean fans in the stand started banging these little gongs that brought into the stadium. Shocked the shit out of Smith and he shanked the goal. Very funny.

D

daz

I remember having a few beers with a large contingent of the Wallaby team mid-week between games at the pub where I worked. I remember Bill Campbell was one of the largest humans I ever did see. Nice bloke too.

Bigger than the man-mountain Warwick Waugh? That would be an impressive (and very disturbing) achievement!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bigger than the man-mountain Warwick Waugh? That would be an impressive (and very disturbing) achievement!

Well, I've met both (and Warwick's twin who is slightly smaller), and Campbell seemed taller somehow. Warwick would be bulkier. Campbell and Cutler made a formidable sight standing against the back wall of the pub watching the band - a good 9-10" taller than anyone else in the pub.

Reactions: daz

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
5 years older than me than.

Please proceed.

I was going to suggest that Bill Campbell looked bigger because you were smaller, but as you were basically a grown man alllllllllllll the way back then in 1987 as well, then I have no argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.