• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2019

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^ I've been posting along similar lines for as long as I've been a G&GR'r so I'm pleased that someone else has noticed the impending PI player availability crisis (let's face it, Samoa or Tonga minus their heritage players would struggle in many Club comps e.g. Auckland, Sydney & Brisbane).

One thing I'm less familiar with is whether culturally, it is popular for PI people to marry someone from back home.

There's also of course the prospect that in 50 years time when this might start becoming a real issue, the asteroid will have already come for us ;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ not sure about the marrying someone "from back home" but I'd be doubtful it's very common, human nature & hormones being what they are :).

I do know, however, that many Samoan & Tongan (& other PI) women will be "sent home" to give birth so maybe there's a chance we'll still be enjoying watching at least nominally-PI XV's when that asteroid of yours whistles full time :).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It's foreseeable in a generation or two that they will need to introduce heritage eligibility (like for NZ Maori) for the Pacific Islands.

Migration from the Pacific Islands is only going in one direction and ultimately there will be a lot of PI rugby players who are part of Tongan/Samoan/Fiji communities in Australia and NZ and elsewhere that won't be able to play for those teams under the existing rules.

I see what you mean BH, even this year Tonga have got 17 players born outside of Tonga and Samoa have 16 from outside of Samoa. I think many born in NZ who have something like 43 NZ born players in other teams, whether under heritage or residential rules. It certainly mixes things a little, and still can't get my head around the Grandparent rule as this actually could give a player a choice of up to 7-8 different countries he or she could chose to play for! I must admit I like the fact the residential rules are being moved to 5 years, but would also be quite pleased to see grandparent chucked out. I not sure how keen I am on parent rule to be honest, I really do think where you born or live should be main criteria, but can understand why many want to keep it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ it was either 2011 or 2015 that Tonga had zero locally-born players & Samoa just a handful so maybe it's not all downhill for them.

That said, getting rid of the grandparent rule would kill both once the then-current heritage players retired. I don't think that's something WR (World Rugby) should or will allow to happen.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Giving Spark's streaming service a bash with the Saffer/Japan test. Probably won't have even 5% of the demand of any AB's match, but we'll see how we go.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Giving Spark's streaming service a bash with the Saffer/Japan test. Probably won't have even 5% of the demand of any AB's match, but we'll see how we go.
Even Optus have managed to stream a thing now. Sure it'll be fine.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Wonder if the gaijin muck that descend for RWC will respect the whole Japanese "total silence for the kicker please" mantra. Cannot see the pissed-up pommy pudding people fans being able to "behave" and refrain from yelling out something daft.

Oh shit. Mafi and the nippy J-winger have gone off injured vs SA. JJ will be sweatin now.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Wonder if the gaijin muck that descend for RWC will respect the whole Japanese "total silence for the kicker please" mantra. Cannot see the pissed-up pommy pudding people fans being able to "behave" and refrain from yelling out something daft.

Oh shit. Mafi and the nippy J-winger have gone off injured vs SA. JJ will be sweatin now.
Still don't fully understand how Mafi abducted a 120kg bloke and doesn't cop jailtime

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

How'd it go? Price goes up again after Tuesday so I need to make my mind up over the weekend whether to fork out for it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was having a think on YCs etc and wonder how much they will play a part in games during WC. You would think Wallabies would be a touch worried as their captain is the most YCed player in International rugby along side a Georgian player I think. So are teams going to modify play much to avoid them do you think?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
How'd it go? Price goes up again after Tuesday so I need to make my mind up over the weekend whether to fork out for it.

Only managed to stay awake for the first half but it was flawless. Not a single hiccup or any buffering at all. Though I should say that this was with a decent fibre connection, and streaming directly to the TV.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ spark put out a news release saying it was their most-viewed stream yet (but wouldn't actually put a number on it when queried).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
United States Eagles Rugby World Cup squad

Forwards: David Ainu'u, Malon Al-Jiboori, Nate Brakeley, Nick Civetta, Cam Dolan, Dylan Fawsitt, Eric Fry, Hanco Germishuys, James Hilterbrand, Olive Kilifi, Tony Lamborn, Titi Lamositele, Ben Landry, Paul Mullen, Gregor Peterson, Ben Pinkelman, John Quill, Joseph Taufete'e

Backs: Blaine Scully, Nate Augspurger, Marcel Brache, Bryce Campbell, Shaun Davies, Ruben De Haas, Will Hooley, Martin Iosefo, Paul Lasike, AJ MacGinty, Will Magie, Thretton Palamo, Mike Te'o.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...mer-nfl-player-paul-lasike-named-in-usa-squad

All 20 squads listed here:

https://www.espn.com/rugby/story/_/id/27431061/rugby-world-cup-squad-lists

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
This rule of nil-all draws for typhooned out matches could be fun. Make the whole thing less goddamn predicatable. Lets get Somalia into a quarter final versus the All Blacks.

If they could somehow strap down the loose stadium bits for spectator safety, playing a match during a typhoon would be AWESOME. The instant someone kicks the rugby football it would just be immediately gusted directly off the park. Kicking for goal would suddenly be elevated to a meteorological art form. The sight of some skinny backs being tumbleweeded into the advertising hoardings would be entertainment par non compere.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I know this look on TJP's face. It's "what the fuck is this shit man?"

30 degrees+ with 100% humidity is bad enough but having to actually go outside and play rugby in that shit is borderline inhumane. Acclimation? There is no acclimation. 2 weeks or 2 years, you never "get used to" this shit. It's just a debilitating barrage. The NH sides are going to dump in their drawers when they get off the plane.

Big bonus for the bokkes and the lizard-people Australians.

RWC Final prediction: Kenya vs Kuwait.

1568143151900.jpg

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
"Good afternoon, this is your captain speaking. We're just about to begin our descent into Tokyo. It's a nice clear day out, and a warm 32 degrees, with 90% humidity....."

ScotsJapanTemp.PNG

"Ye. F*ckin'. Whit. Mate? A canae spaek. Tha' bett'r be fahrenheit, no celsius. Or I swaer on me maw that a'll f*ckin' hijack this wee plane an crash it in tae tha' there fancy wee mountain 'fore a step oot in tae tha' hot, humid, wet fart o a locale, ye' wank stain."