• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2019

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If be interested to see a Fiji, Tonga and Samoa 15 that include all their eligible players that have declared for other nations.

I bet they would all be very impressive teams.

just looking at the RWC squads, this is what I've come up with (not sure how strong some of the links are and I've probably missed some):

Tonga:

15 Lomano Lemeki - Japan fullback
14 Ataata Moeakiola - Japan wing
12 Paul Lasike - USA centre
7 Billy Vunipola - ENG 8
6 Amanaki Mafi - Japan backrow
5 Adam Coleman - Aust lock
4 Siaosi Mahoni - USA lock
3 Taniela Tupou - Aust prop
2 Tolu Latu - Aust hooker

1 Mako Vunipola - Eng prop

Others

Asaeli Ai Valu - Japan prop
Isileli Nakajima - Japan lock
Kapeli Pifeleti - USA prop/hooker
Ofa Tu'ungafasi - NZ prop

Sekope Kepu - Aust prop

Samoa:

15 Matt To'omua - Aust inside back
13 Manu Tuilagi - ENG centre
12 Bundee Aki - Ireland Centre
11 Jordan Petaia - Aust outside back
10 Christian Lealiifano - Aust inside back
8 Hendrik Tui - Japan backrow
6 Lukhan Salakaia-Loto - Aust backrow
3 Angus Ta'avao - NZ prop
2 Mike Sosene-Feagai - USA hooker

1Allan Ala'alatoa - AUST prop

Others

Joe Taufeteʻe - USA hooker / prop
Nepo Laulala - NZ prop
Thretton Palamo - USA Centre

Timothy Lafaele - Japan flyhalf/centre

Fiji:

14 Sevu Reece - NZ wing
13 Tevita Kuridrani - Aust centre
12 Samu Kerevi - Aust centre
11 Marika Koroibete - Aust wing
8 Isi Naisarani - Aust 8
6 Michael Leitch - Japan backrow

Others

Joe Cokanasiga - Eng wing
Virimi Vakatawa - France centre/wing

Alivereti Raka - France wing

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ most of those listed would be heritage players & the product of someone else's junior and/ or development programs: Ala'alatoa born in Sydney, Ta'avoa in Auckland, etc etc. Many others will have been child migrants e.g. Tupou, Tuilagi. So again it comes back to the question of are we talking about PI teams based on place of birth/ development, or on ancestry?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
On that basis I’d have to toss up between, England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany and Poland.

Not sure what the point is.
Something to think about to while away the time?

I said I was curious. I didn't say it had any overarching point.

Reactions: TSR

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Something to think about to while away the time?

I said I was curious. I didn't say it had any overarching point.

To while the time then, family heraldry suggests a link to Attila, so think I’ll go with the Huns. Though they may have played rugby with human heads rather than a leather ball and on horseback.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I get where Derpus & Reg are coming from, having been in numerous "best AB XV not born in NZ" debates back in the day, but it's starting to shit me the way certain sections of the media keep banging on about the "debt" rugby here & in Straya owes the Pasifika peoples while completely ignoring the fact that their "National" teams are 80%+ comprised of guys born in Auckland, Sydney & Brisbane. Similarly that there's never a mention of any "debt" owed to the United Kingdom which I believe has still been the place of birth for more AB (not sure about Wobs) than all the Pacific islands combined.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I get where Derpus & Reg are coming from, having been in numerous "best AB XV not born in NZ" debates back in the day, but it's starting to shit me the way certain sections of the media keep banging on about the "debt" rugby here & in Straya owes the Pasifika peoples while completely ignoring the fact that their "National" teams are 80%+ comprised of guys born in Auckland, Sydney & Brisbane. Similarly that there's never a mention of any "debt" owed to the United Kingdom which I believe has still been the place of birth for more AB (not sure about Wobs) than all the Pacific islands combined.
Yeah but fuck England tho

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agustin Pichot has been very vocal on this issue. His position is basically one of selfishness though in that Argentina don't benefit in rugby from long term migration or people qualifying under the residency rule because they don't have a local professional league nor do they get much immigration from rugby playing countries.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Agustin Pichot has been very vocal on this issue. His position is basically one of selfishness though in that Argentina don't benefit in rugby from long term migration or people qualifying under the residency rule because they don't have a local professional league nor do they get much immigration from rugby playing countries.

Exactly. People living in Australia
- 100,000 Fijians (pop 900,000)
- 650,000 NZers (pop 4.7m)
- 10,000 Tongans (pop 110,000)
- 25,000 Samoans (pop 200,000)

Some of them are going to be good at rugby.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Surely our recently patriated NZ converts will be paying dividends for our rugby numbers for years to come.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Russia in Moscow played test with Connaught. 65 minutes were in the game, but we do not have a bench.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

Australia has the largest Fijian population in the world outside of Fiji. Something like 10% of all Fijians live here. NZ has higher numbers with Samoans and Tongans.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Guys, what is known about Russian rugby players in Australia now? There are 74,000 Russians living in Australia. Everyone knows Adam Byrns, who played for Russia at RWC2011. Also quite famous is Greg Zheloudev, who played for Australia's seven in the World Series. There were also several Russian Australians in the Russian rugby league team 15 years ago.
From the modern generation, I know two young Russian Australians. Chipizubov brothers. Dmitry (21 years old) from Randwick. And Roman (18 years old) from Paramatta. But I am sure that there are many Russian Australians rugby players, especially in Sydney. Perhaps they have not Russian surnames like Adam Byrns, but Russian roots.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I actually think those figures can be a little skewed, a few people I know call themselves kiwi and Samoan etc etc, so kind of buggers up when you trying to count them:confused:. I just find the whole thing gets messy, I remember reading how say Tonga competes so well in games (and agree wholeheartedly) from a nation with a population of 110,000 and then we we see the team is actually made up of players from outside Tonga , so are not actually part of their population, but actually part of NZ, Aus etc etc population. It all gets very confusing!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
After listening to Latham on the rugby podcast (attack coach of Samoa) and watching last week's match against the Wallabies, Samoa are officially my #2 team for the cup. Some good match ups and I love an underdog.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
After listening to Latham on the rugby podcast (attack coach of Samoa) and watching last week's match against the Wallabies, Samoa are officially my #2 team for the cup. Some good match ups and I love an underdog.

Good point Dc, a man has to start thinking about his #2 team , once it doesn't involve ABs I tend to go underdog and most matches, but come 1/4s etc I have to start thinking. For actually winning it, if not ABs I thinking I would be quite happy with Boks or Welsh, mainly because historically they have been a couple of great opponents of ABs, and I suspect either would be considered pretty good teams as would England. I not sure I actually put Wallabies up there yet, but could well be in 2023 as will the French I think. Still think French or Argies have the ability to cause upsets at knockout stage and could have a big say in who wins cup! In saying that I been wrong plenty of times before so there every chance of :confused: