• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rules for deliberate knock down of the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
A question for the referees out there-

I thought that if you deliberately knock the ball to the ground instead of trying to intercept then it was a penalty, or even a yellow/red card.

Is this the case if you knock it toward your own line, or only if it is towards the opponants line?

In the Tahs v Force game last night at 61:59 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) knocks the ball to the ground on purpose and has no intention of trying to intercept the ball, BUT he is running backwards so I dont know if this is why he got away with it.

Did anyone else see this? Does the direction make a difference?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
There is a law for deliberate knock on not for deliberately knock down.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep no law in the game to say you can't say you cannot knock ball to ground, it just says you cannot knock ON on purpose, and a knock on has to be forwards. It's like leaping up and palming a high kick backwards, as heaps of players do.

C

Cave Dweller

Intentional knock or throw-forward. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with arm or hand, nor throw-forward.

Penalty: Penalty kick. A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
There is a law that you are not to deliberately knock the ball down or on. You may hit it up in the action of trying to intercept it and gain control of the ball.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Intentional knock or throw-forward. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with arm or hand, nor throw-forward.

Penalty: Penalty kick. A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored

Was very shocked no penalty try was awarded when Mitchell's pass to Kinghi was knocked down. 15m out, a 2 on 1 and Kingi was in the clear....wasn't as thought it would've been a tough pass to catch....it was a pop pass.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
Might not be popular but I'd like to see refs blow a penalty for any attempted intercept (going forward off the hand) that doesn't come off. Sometimes a player has no real chance of the intercept, stops a try scoring movement and only concedes a scrum. Problem for the ref is it's hard to see in real time if they had any real chance to intercept or were just trying to kill the movement.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How about the attacker not throw a pass where the defender can get a hand on it? If the defender rushes out, there are options to exploit that..

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Might not be popular but I'd like to see refs blow a penalty for any attempted intercept (going forward off the hand) that doesn't come off. Sometimes a player has no real chance of the intercept, stops a try scoring movement and only concedes a scrum. Problem for the ref is it's hard to see in real time if they had any real chance to intercept or were just trying to kill the movement.
I think I remember a Test once where a knock down was called due to the hands being palm down, this was explained as a penalty and if the palms are up then you are said to be trying to catch the ball

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's what I thought liquor box, I was told here the law has no ruling on the direction of the hand but I was certain upwards is fine by the law.. I remember the Beale incident against the Sharks a few years ago, defended him because he swung upwards at the ball. IMO that's how it should be ruled, upwards/horizontal = fine, downwards = no attempt to catch/re-gather.

Status
Not open for further replies.