• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
New half marathon PB for me on the weekend at the Gold Coast. A tick over 1hr 56min which I'm pretty pleased about.​
Couldn't see too many other 100kg+ former second rowers in front of me, and that's who I aim to beat at these things​

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Thats sounds good. Are u a barefoot runner?

Barefoot runners love those minimalist running shoes

Yes. Was, I guess. Don't do it much these days due to sheer laziness and this ocular migraine thing.

Bit of a catch-22 - I don't run because of the migraines, and I get the migraines because I'm stressed to fuck and unfit.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Enjoying runners knees at the moment (too much, too soon it appears) needed a couple of weeks rest and stretching to get one and a half knees happy again.

Went out again on Sunday with only minor pain in one knee that went away after a minute or so of working through it

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Enjoying runners knees at the moment (too much, too soon it appears) needed a couple of weeks rest and stretching to get one and a half knees happy again.

Went out again on Sunday with only minor pain in one knee that went away after a minute or so of working through it
How much were you running FP? I find anything more than two days a week and the injuries start happening

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
this thread got me motivated to get my barge-arse up off the sofa and out for my first ever run (first ever with no point to it, that being, not in training for footy)
Still on the weights and bike weekly but ZERO running. For YEARS. Both knees cartilaged out, running looked like it would be too much jolting for this old prick. But man, how useless is cycling for burning fat? It doesnt do a bloody thing! I'd say at 93 kgs I'm about 7 kg overweight. Thighs and arse like a Pitcairns wife forward slash sibling. DISGRACEFUL.

ps, I'm on the Vibram shoes too but not by choice. Morton's Neuroma in my left foot now makes normal shoes agony and the 5-fingers are the only relief I get. Even got the mad "waterproof" (not fuckin waterproof) ice running version for when hell freezes over here up for 4 months a year in the North East Pitcairns

vibram637.jpg

walking around in the snow in these things, your toes go NUMB after about 10 minutes. Dumb and kind of stupid. Havent tried running in them I guess the theory is your feet will heat up as you go?

psp anyway, made it about 2 kms at a moderate pace before both calves in unison said "excuse me meat machine but what the FUCK are you doing off the sofa STAB YOU"

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Must say I've always been a fan of lower profile shoes, especially racing flats, even though I would hardly call myself 'elite'. Bulk, soft cushioning makes me feel like I'm running through sand.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
ps, I'm on the Vibram shoes too but not by choice. Morton's Neuroma in my left foot now makes normal shoes agony and the 5-fingers are the only relief I get. Even got the mad "waterproof" (not fuckin waterproof) ice running version for when hell freezes over here up for 4 months a year in the North East Pitcairns

vibram637.jpg

Gotta say, they look a lot like diving boots. A new business opportunity for the house of Gunston? Are there any spare Helium cannisters lying around Pitkern?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is very difficult the switch from running shoes to barefoot shoes?

How long the soles of your feet adapting to the minimalist shoes?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Change in style - forefoot striking rather than heel striking. Alters the entire physiology of the leg, so you're basically starting again.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Change in style - forefoot striking rather than heel striking. Alters the entire physiology of the leg, so you're basically starting again.

But you can run with the forefoot in running shoes:

In fact it's the preferred technique of Olympic runners, allowing you to give more steps per minute, with less effort (Once you master the technique, of course) and prevents injuries.

You have to be in perfect condition to use that technique, the overhead in the calves is immense. If you are fat you can't use that technique, I used it for a while but it bothered me overload in my calves

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Very true. I have generally been a forefoot runner, but recently have really tried to shorten the stride, landing under my body more and run with a higher cadence. Seems to agree with my quads better, but you do notice more work for the calves. I was on barefoot shoes but now use some with a middling amount of cushioning but very little canting from heel to toe (only about 4mm as opposed to 12mm with some running shoes).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Very true. I have generally been a forefoot runner, but recently have really tried to shorten the stride, landing under my body more and run with a higher cadence. Seems to agree with my quads better, but you do notice more work for the calves. I was on barefoot shoes but now use some with a middling amount of cushioning but very little canting from heel to toe (only about 4mm as opposed to 12mm with some running shoes).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
That's what works for me too, cushioning to absorb a bit of the overweight on concrete impact, but not much drop. Changed all my shoes a couple of years ago including work shoes to eliminate too much rise under the heel.

There's a fair bit if choice these days if you don't like the look of vibrams.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
this thread got me motivated to get my barge-arse up off the sofa and out for my first ever run (first ever with no point to it, that being, not in training for footy)
Still on the weights and bike weekly but ZERO running. For YEARS. Both knees cartilaged out, running looked like it would be too much jolting for this old prick. But man, how useless is cycling for burning fat? It doesnt do a bloody thing! I'd say at 93 kgs I'm about 7 kg overweight. Thighs and arse like a Pitcairns wife forward slash sibling. DISGRACEFUL.

vibram637.jpg

walking around in the snow in these things, your toes go NUMB after about 10 minutes. Dumb and kind of stupid. Havent tried running in them I guess the theory is your feet will heat up as you go?

psp anyway, made it about 2 kms at a moderate pace before both calves in unison said "excuse me meat machine but what the FUCK are you doing off the sofa STAB YOU"

There is very little correlation between exercise and weight loss, you manage what you eat to lose weight, you exercise to live, to keep muscle once you are older, that muscle helps you keep bone density

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Bingo fp - I attribute maybe 15% of my weight loss to the increase in my metabolic rate, gained from running mostly with a bit of body weight thrown in.

You want weight loss, you gotta drop the shit out of the diet and consume less than you burn.

But you can run with the forefoot in running shoes:

Most people who AREN'T Olympic athletes rely on their u-beaut $300 running shoes with the virgin-air-gel-from-baby-breath-dispersion-tech to cushion their heels. The running styles of 90% of the population are based on jogging, and jogging is fast walking, which is heel striking.

I don't understand why if you use barefoot shoes you should strike with the forefoot. :confused:

Go heel strike in barefoots on concrete. Guarantee you'll give up before the first km. First 100m actually - if you get to 1km then by all means enjoy the surgery.

Depending on my level of fitness at the time I'll also whole-foot plant at a lower pace, because my calves don't like me otherwise.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Bingo fp - I attribute maybe 15% of my weight loss to the increase in my metabolic rate, gained from running mostly with a bit of body weight thrown in.

You want weight loss, you gotta drop the shit out of the diet and consume less than you burn.

Sort of, there is a calorie deficit calculation, but there is also hormonal issues that need to be managed, get you insulin spikes under control and your body isn't constantly turning excess sugar into fat.

(I live the no sugar, no grains approach to diet)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Go heel strike in barefoots on concrete. Guarantee you'll give up before the first km. First 100m actually - if you get to 1km then by all means enjoy the surgery.

Depending on my level of fitness at the time I'll also whole-foot plant at a lower pace, because my calves don't like me otherwise.

Then I must get used to hit with the forefoot before buying barefoot shoes. Maybe the barefoot style isn't for me. To hit with the forefoot you must be very light, you shouldn't weigh more than 70 kg.

A rugby player with a lot of muscle mass can't hit with the forefoot for many kms because his body is very heavy and their calves will exploit.

I'm a distance runner short distances (5k and 10k) but not more than that. I have a similar training such as a rugby player (At least that's what I try) and I try to lift all possible weight in exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench press and others.

I haven't the body of David Pocock but I'm not a marathon runner of 50 kgs, so my calves suffer much if I hit with the forefoot.