• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I ran using vibram fivefingers for pretty much all my weight loss, from 116kg down to 90kg, building from 1km through to 10km and even the odd 14km run in the leadup to City2Surf a couple of years back.

Did it hurt? Fuck yes, but then I ended up with calves of steel, and recovery was alright with enough magnesium.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I tried the "light" barefoot option and ended up wounded, this is despite being a forefoot runner (if I can get any rhythm).

My legs are much happier back in my sauconys, I am just under 90kgs and run 90% of the time on grass, but that extra support suits me and my knees, achilles & calves

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I ran using vibram fivefingers for pretty much all my weight loss, from 116kg down to 90kg, building from 1km through to 10km and even the odd 14km run in the leadup to City2Surf a couple of years back.

Did it hurt? Fuck yes, but then I ended up with calves of steel, and recovery was alright with enough magnesium.

Really? Guauuu but are u fast? In how much time you can run 1k?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
There is very little correlation between exercise and weight loss, you manage what you eat to lose weight, you exercise to live, to keep muscle once you are older, that muscle helps you keep bone density
yes, i7ve always gone with the 80/20 thing, food vs exercise, and the weights were enough to maintain my generally god-like stallion physique replete w/mini Pocock guns, but now that I'm 46 I seem to have morphed into dad-bod land thigh-wise

But as you mentioned about the sugar thing FP, its really still the 80/20 thing. Coupla years back I went from 90 to 80 kgs in 3 months just by eating fruit & veg. Mountains of it. Goddamn it was boring. 6 kgs lost in the first week. Body screaming bloody MURDER for sugar. It's then you realise damn near everything we eat is pretty much body-hostile garbage.

I ran using vibram fivefingers for pretty much all my weight loss, from 116kg down to 90kg,

Did it hurt? Fuck yes, but then I ended up with calves of steel,
haha, I bet you did, holy shit, v.impressive. There is nowhere to hide in the Vibram shoes, after a few steps running it soon dawns on you that they are a black-souled dominatrix and you are their gimp-masked bitch. On a leash.

ps, in my shitty first run I even tried working up to a sprint and not only was there no 5th gear, I also appear to be missing gears 4 down thru to 2. Big shock. Damn, I was my high school champ in the 100 & 200 with a PB of 11.9 in the hundy.

I coulndt run the hundy in under 12 fucking days now.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Really? Guauuu but are u fast? In how much time you can run 1k?

I usually aimed for under 5 minutes/km when I was in shape. PBs are:

10km - 53:51
5km - 24:28
3km - 14:16
1km - 4:08 (that was during a 3km run which I had to pull up at 2.6km because I'd knackered myself in the lungs).

Hardly world beating but not bad for an old bloke trying to get in shape.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I usually aimed for under 5 minutes/km when I was in shape. PBs are:

10km - 53:51
5km - 24:28
3km - 14:16
1km - 4:08 (that was during a 3km run which I had to pull up at 2.6km because I'd knackered myself in the lungs).

Hardly world beating but not bad for an old bloke trying to get in shape.

Good times. For me, fast is below 4 minutes per K. An amateur runner who can run 5k below 20 minutes is fast IMO.

This is my personal table for 5k:

12:37 - World Record (By Bekele)
Under 13:00 - Superhuman
Under 14:00 - Olympic runner
Among 15:00/17:00 Super Fast
Among 17:00/20:00 Fast
Among 20:00/25:00 Average
More than 25:00 Slow
More than 30:00 Too slow
More than 32:00 Shame

I'm running the 5k among 22:00 and 24:00. So I'm average in my own table :( When I'm out of shape, I run over 25:00

Once a coach told me that if I want to lower the barrier of 20 minutes, I must lose weight as much as possible and look like a marathoner of 50 kgs. But I'm a rugby fella, I love the muscles and the gym

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Headed out for my first run in- well a few months i guess. Got the standard ocular migraine after the first 5 minutes but pressed through it with no headache.

3km in 16:41. Long way back but at 99.9kg not diabolical either.

As for the vision thing, I am aiming to get a roll on with the running, build back to 5km as the weight comes off, and then see if it subsides.

At the same time I'll be doing some anaerobic work on the body weight side (burpees, chins, lunges, free squats) to see if that also brings on the vision bullshit.

Indigo Wolf

Frank Row (1)
I love running! But I need you guys' advice.

Here's the thing, I've always tried to keep fit with jogging, running and all kinds of different sports but lately my left shin has started to hurt. I've tried resting it for a month but to no avail. I feel like it's going to break if I try to play contact sports. What do you guys reckon?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Could be shin splints. I have never had them but I'm sure someone can help you out.

Indigo Wolf

Frank Row (1)
Could be shin splints. I have never had them but I'm sure someone can help you out.

At first I thought it was a shoe problem because I run a lot but later on I knew it wasn't that. Not a doctor guy but I might have to take a visit.

Is there some sort of shin support for running?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No, but you probably need to go see a physio about your hip and knee alignment for starters - the issue could actually be starting somewhere else, particularly if its one side on which you're suffering.

If you're getting it consistently, try altering your routine to do sprints instead of distance running and see how you pull up.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
run 2: went alright,not too far, not too out of puff. Both achilles a bit rooted next morning

run 3: few days later, both achilles still stiff, whatevs, I'll just run it off. Big mistake. They soon stiffened up to hell. Ended up hobbling home. Next morning, total devastation. Turns out I am no longer 18-years old. Felt like huge rubber bands had twanged in both achilles and everything'd gone all slack. Oh no. I will never dance again. My admittedly outside shot for a bench spot at upcoming world cup in ruins. Oh God. I have to break the news to Shag. "I hope you're sitting down, chief." "Who is this?"

run 4: after about 2 weeks of rooted achilles gamminess I had another burl and despite still feeling the achilles was amazed how well it went. Maybe using science the body repairs itself? Once something has been broken down it comes back stronger? Went about 3 km, not out of puff at all. Of course I was only gingerly shuffling along like an 80-year old cripple but still beats barge-arsing it on the couch.

pfitz you should get that bung-eyed issue seen to, I trust you've done a potluck self-diagnosis via internet?

It is my opinion that you could have highly-contagious terminal brain cancer.

There, that's the worst case internet-generated scenario out of the way, things are looking up already.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
pfitz you should get that bung-eyed issue seen to, I trust you've done a potluck self-diagnosis via internet?

It is my opinion that you could have highly-contagious terminal brain cancer.

There, that's the worst case internet-generated scenario out of the way, things are looking up already.

I have already ruled out brain cancer via use of the wonderfully advanced Magnometric Resonatory Imagerator they have up at the swanky new Academy of Smashing Waves Of Invisible Matter Through Your Shit.

Your concerns are noted, and I appreciate your hard-won medical experience - please do not send me a bill for a new keyboard, or antibacterial wipes for that matter.

First morning run for yonks this very day - 3 km in 17:24 which is not a bad place to start - anything under 6 minutes per km is alright when you're as out-of-shape as I. Or me.

Feeling quite smug about it, too. After weeks of hanging around 100kg like a desperate suitor, I have decided this is the week Pfitzy gets back on the horse, then gets off and runs behind it. I shall dodge both horseshit and sugary treats as I cleave this unwanted fat from my body, and once again draw the bitchez from far and wide.

95 by November.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I have already ruled out brain cancer via use of the wonderfully advanced Magnometric Resonatory Imagerator they have up at the swanky new Academy of Smashing Waves Of Invisible Matter Through Your Shit.

Your concerns are noted, and I appreciate your hard-won medical experience - please do not send me a bill for a new keyboard, or antibacterial wipes for that matter.

First morning run for yonks this very day - 3 km in 17:24 which is not a bad place to start - anything under 6 minutes per km is alright when you're as out-of-shape as I. Or me.

Feeling quite smug about it, too. After weeks of hanging around 100kg like a desperate suitor, I have decided this is the week Pfitzy gets back on the horse, then gets off and runs behind it. I shall dodge both horseshit and sugary treats as I cleave this unwanted fat from my body, and once again draw the bitchez from far and wide.

95 by November.
That's awesome to aim for an IQ of 95. I hear exercise is great for developing brain power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's awesome to aim for an IQ of 95. I hear exercise is great for developing brain power.
Cyclopath returns for Sunday family dinner enters the Running thread:

kick.gif

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If that's a GIF, I'm stuffed as my iPad won't play it on tapatalk. It's just a wee pic. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well, I having been trying not to mocker myself but.......

After my knees suggested I went too far, too much, too early.

I went back, rested for a couple and put the knee bands back on.

5 weeks in, now up to doing 18 to 20km per week mostly on grass so km splits are around 6 minutes now (5 1/2 on the tarmac) and down one knee strap with the other being possibly placebo, but what ever works

I was feeling quite satisfied with myself til some turd of a teenager went motoring past me this morning, if I see him again he may get hip checked and go for a swim :rolleyes: