• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Watching the womens marathon . Leader ran 17.23 for the first 5km,

WTF I would be wrapped with that time for a 5km run. Let alone having another 36km to go.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Watching the womens marathon . Leader ran 17.23 for the first 5km,

WTF I would be wrapped with that time for a 5km run. Let alone having another 36km to go.

The 10,000m track race gets done in around half an hour. That is crazy.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The 10,000m track race gets done in around half an hour. That is crazy.
The current world best times for the marathon are around 2:03 to 2:04 which is less than 3 minutes per km. Television coverage doesn't do justice to how fast these elite athletes run. I was fortunate enough to run a couple of half marathons in the same field as Steve Moneghetti and Andrew Lloyd and they were going along in a heartbeat or two over 3 minute pace. It's absolutely awe-inspiring to see close up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Haven't run in fucking ages. Can't see out of my right eye after the first km. Have been referred to the neurologist after MRI, carotid ultrasound, and various blood tests have picked up nothing out of the ordinary (except slightly elevated cholesterol).

Neurologist is October 1. Not sure what the fuck he's going to be able to tell me that I don't already know, for example:

doctor-12.jpg

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah geez Pfitzy, that sounds really shit.

I am out for the next couple of months too. Was running in the Reykjavik Marathon a couple of weekends ago and "found" a loose rock that had fallen or been kicked into the middle of the path around 100m before the 30km timing mat.

I was looking ahead to the timing mat trying to see if also a drink stop there and rolled my left ankle out on the rock.

Doubled back and threw the rock into the sea and hobbled home the rest of the way home but lost about a minute per km from there on.

Flew back the next day and xrays said that when the tendons tore away, they snapped away a little bit of the bottom of my fibula so basically moon booting it around for a month and prob at least another one before doing any decent running on it again.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What? It still fucked

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Yep. Resting appears to have done fuck all, medically speaking.

Have been lifting weights lately, and that isn't as bad. Though if I do something like pushing the weight sled around, that occasionally brings it on.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah geez Pfitzy, that sounds really shit.

I am out for the next couple of months too. Was running in the Reykjavik Marathon a couple of weekends ago and "found" a loose rock that had fallen or been kicked into the middle of the path around 100m before the 30km timing mat.

Liked your comment as support - that sucks mate, sorry to hear it. Hope you stay fit somehow during your layoff.

Also Reykjavik Marathon, damn that sounds cool. Must have been a scenic run at least. Good crowd?

As for my personal progress I did my first City2Surf the other day (and longest run to that date). Did a half marathon yesterday at 5 minute k's which I'm happy with, considering I couldn't run more than 4kms a year ago.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That is some good shit right there DC - I'm never going to do those kinds of distances again. Fucking C2S nearly broke me as I was only halfway conditioned. Heartbreak Hill was agony.

Mostly I just want to be able to do sprints to build a bit of explosive power. No point if I'm just going to get hit by a truck on the way home from the park...

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am out for the next couple of months too. Was running in the Reykjavik Marathon .....
Sorry to hear that (the injury part, not the Reykjavik part). It'll be no comfort to you but I'll be able to say to myself that I'm running faster than Tangawizi, at least for a little while ;)
As for my personal progress I did my first City2Surf the other day (and longest run to that date). Did a half marathon yesterday at 5 minute k's which I'm happy with, considering I couldn't run more than 4kms a year ago.

That's seriously good progress in a year. Well done.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Liked your comment as support - that sucks mate, sorry to hear it. Hope you stay fit somehow during your layoff.

Also Reykjavik Marathon, damn that sounds cool. Must have been a scenic run at least. Good crowd?

Yeah it was a pretty good course. The full & half start at the same time and there's plenty of on-course support for the Half.

The Full marathon splits away around the 19km mark and its fairly quiet out there until you head back into the city for the last few kms.

Just did it as it happened to line up with a holiday and was meant to be a lead up fun for the Melbourne Marathon. But wont be anymore marathons this year now.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That is some good shit right there DC.

That's seriously good progress in a year. Well done.
Thanks guys - helps a lot I guess that I'm young, so improvement comes pretty easily. Also being at uni means I have a lot of time to train.
Helped with the transition from prop to lock quite a bit too.

Just did it as it happened to line up with a holiday and was meant to be a lead up fun for the Melbourne Marathon. But wont be anymore marathons this year now.

That's got to suck. I was toying up trying for the Melbourne Marathon too but my friend talked me down saying I'd kill myself with so little training. So instead I'm aiming for the Great Ocean Road Marathon in May next year. Any hints?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Proper 3 day carb and get used to gels. I usually do 1 10 mins before the run starts and 5 during the race.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
In a slightly more rugby related post, I saw some of the Rebels out supporting a fun run in Melbourne this morning. It was Connor's Run, a pretty small, very local/community based run.

The Rebels had a tent set up at one of the km markers along the way and seemed to be getting into it. It was about 15kms into the race so I was more trying not to do than identify people but I did recognise Colby as one of the players.

I thought it was a really nice thing of the Rebs to do. They would've been out there since 7am on a cold Sunday morning supporting a really great charity.

So kudos to them.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
For the bored:
Previously, on "2bluesfan Runs NZ":

Q1 Report:
692km @ 5:35
49 runs (should have been 53-ish)
January 208km
February 216km
March 268km

Q2 Report:
671km @ 5:29
47 runs (should have been 53-ish)
April 238km
May 233km
June 200km

And now, the eagerly awaited
Q3 Report:
684km @ 5:31
46 runs potentially 53-ish, but a difficult quarter)
July 227km
August 242km
September 215km

2016 YTD Report
2046km @ 5:31
142runs (should have been about 159)
Average distance: 14.4km
Shortest run: 10km
Longest run: 21.8km

According to Strava, I am 12km behind my target distance if I am to run 2750km this year.

704km in, say, 48 runs requires an average distance of 14.67km, so it is definitely doable. It will be tight though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
After taking July off (too f*cking cold, I run around a bay and the wind at night ..................) I am back to doing 10km every 3 days followed compound body weight exercises to muscle failure the following day, and then rest and repeat