• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Just wish my $90 phone had a better Camera. It looked much better than that in real life.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Bridge to Brisbane tomorrow folks - see you there! I'll be the gentleman crossing the finish line first.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
A story here...

My Dutch ex-partner when I was living in Noosa right near the triathlon course, usually cycled to work in her bike sent down from Holland, it was thick framed ladies bike complete with a wicker basket in front.
On the day of the famed Noosa triathlon, she commenced cycling to work but along the footpath this time, but having to cross the road at one stage to reach her workplace at the beach front, she accidentally crossed the finish line before the cycling leg had yet crossed it, and to rousing cheers from the crowd there!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
how'd you go Reddy? I wanted to break 30 for the 5k, and by my watch (official times out tomorrow I think) I did it in 29. Very happy with that.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Great day for Running! I had a ball. 1:04 for the 10 by my watch. 14 minutes off my best time. Left Knee is a bit soar but everything else is still holding together.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great day for Running! I had a ball. 1:04 for the 10 by my watch. 14 minutes off my best time. Left Knee is a bit soar but everything else is still holding together.

great stuff mate. Awesome effort. It was a great day. The 5km was over so quick I kind of wished I did the 10k. Although, I don't think I was up for it.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh it was a great morning for running - nice and overcast, cool not hot.

Reg, I did the 10K. I timed myself by just looking at my watch so somewhere between 41-43mins. I'll update with the more accurate time hopefully tomorrow.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
You blokes are probably just doing long distance running, but does anyone here do interval training? I find it's the best possible fitness training for rugby, because playing rugby is essentially a series of sprints separated by small breaks and power exercises. Stuff like this:
interval_training_soccer.jpg

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
DPK, yep did some yesterday. Started off with 5 x 300m around the running track at the kids school, with push-ups/sit-ups in between, with a view to getting to 10x intervals. Bloody near vomited at the end. The was followed up by some boxing. Absolutely rooted.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh I do some interval training every so often and I play indoor soccer everyweek which is just constant sprinting.

Hornet: mixing your sprints up with some push ups etc is totally a good idea. When you sprint you are using your arms alot to pump - so I guess if you are working them in your "breaks" from sprinting it is just going to make the running part harder and of course you are working your leg and core mucles. Interval training is a really good full body work out for those who crave epic sweating and heart rate.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It takes me back to my playing and athletics days, which my body thought I'd left behind a long time ago ;) But your analysis is spot on, the push-ups and crunches are in between the sprints. It's bloody hard work but I expect to be really feeling the benefits in a few weeks.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm currently flat on my back after doing one of the hardest sessions I've ever done; the interval routine I posted a picture of above, with ten minute breaks in between reps with the middle 5 minutes of the break being used by doing hill sprints. 5 reps.

I might consider doing it again if my legs don't fall off tonight...