• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

T

Train Without a Station

Anybody managed a marathon whilst still actively playing rugby? e.g. Same calendar year as the season?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It would be tough to train for both at almost the same time.

Would also depend on your expected performance level.

Wouldn't be that hard to just finish a marathon but running it well you'd probably want at least 3 months of solid running behind you. So you'd have to look at something like the new marathon in Queenstown in late November.

T

Train Without a Station

Looking at possibly the Melbourne Marathon in October. Rugby season finishes in August. It will just depend on whether the body holds up (had to bin the lunch break runs last year due to calf issues)... Or perhaps that's a sign to give it away? Haha.

T

Train Without a Station

Sully, how is your training for the GC Marathon going?

I gave rugby the flick and have been training down here with the intention of heading up for it barring any major injuries. Did 26km on Saturday, will probably target 32km next week then maybe one more run of 38km before the event. I'm going to target a finish somewhere between 3:40 and 4 hours.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I broke down. I ended up at the knee surgeon. Both knees are bone on bone and it's a matter of managing it until the get bad enough to operate on. Apparently if I don't look after them in on my way to a double knee replacement.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
You don't realize how unfit you are , until you try to get fit

I started jogging for the fist time in years , to try and get the beef off.

After my first attempt , I felt like i had been hit by a Mack Truck.

It will either get easier or I will have a mild stroke...wish me luck

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
What I have found it's better to have made an effort than none at all...I still go for a run but only it's more like walk, then run, then walk, run etc...Interval work with sprints in less than 20mins can be more beneficial than simply a long run of say 40min!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sully, how is your training for the GC Marathon going?

I gave rugby the flick and have been training down here with the intention of heading up for it barring any major injuries. Did 26km on Saturday, will probably target 32km next week then maybe one more run of 38km before the event. I'm going to target a finish somewhere between 3:40 and 4 hours.

You don't really want to throw in a 38km in the 2 weeks before the event as there's a good chance you won't fully recover in time for the race day. Or run it super slow if you determined cram it in there.

If 26km is your max so far I'd just aim to run around 32-34km this weekend and then taper off back to another 26 and something easy like a 10 the week before.

Sounds like you'll be underdone for it but better to go in fresh than fried.

And keep up the fluids and get a few gels in to keep you going strong on the day. The Gold Coast race can get pretty warm after 9am.

T

Train Without a Station

That's bloody anti-climatic Sully! You'll have to don the lycra and become a MAMIL!

Tangawizi, what basis does the recovery requirements come down to?

I'd previously worked on targeting a good 8 days recovery prior with only maybe one short (>5km) recovery run during the week.

Every week I'm now running further than I've ever done before in my life, yet between a recovery swim in the bay I've been able to maintain solid leg weights and deadlifts (Managed a 160kg squat on Tuesday and 200kg deadlift on Monday - a recent PB) so I feel I'm recovering from my runs quite well.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well the recovery depends a lot on how hard you're going in your training runs but a lot of marathon training programs will have a longest pre-race run of around 35km and that'll be 3-4 weeks out from the event. But that's usually the 3rd or 4th 30k plus run.

Once you push pass 30k it takes a fair bit more out of you. You just don't want to smash out 2 decent training runs now and leave yourself flat for the big day.

I'd go for a 32k this weekend and make a decision after that. But still wouldn't go beyond 35k pre-race and that'd be done around 45 secs to 1 min per km slower than race pace.

If you've got a few spare $$ it might be worth trying to get into a newsagent to get your hands on either the specific Runners World Marathon Coach magazine or the Complete Guide one. The Marathon one came out last year so might be online ordering only now but the other one should still be floating around on the stands. http://rwo.bidserver.com.au/shop/

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Btw, I just ran the Samoan Marathon on Saturday. Not quite sure how I feel about the result as intended to go over and break the previous record that sat at 3:16 and I did that with a 3:11 but another bloke ran a 3:07 on the day so I feel like I want to give it another crack.

Still got a podium place in a Marathon for the first time and around $350 prize money so can't be too disappointed. Humidity was atrocious so I blew up pretty badly despite trying to rehydrate the whole way through. Went out in around 91:30 and back in 100 and you had to dodge plenty of local dogs and few pigs flying out of the roadside bushes.

The on course electrolyte drink was Coconut Water which I now see is probably not quite I needed while sweating my guts out so if I ever decide to do it again, I'll take my own supply of PowerAde and ask for it to be put on course. http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/p...xcellent-sports-drink-for-light-exercise.html

Also got along to Samoa V Tonga after the match which was a great rugby experience that finished in an 18 all draw. Sideline ticket for around $9, programme for $2.30 and after the match you could walk down to meet the players and stroll about on the field.

T

Train Without a Station

That's a pretty cracking time mate.

I find coconut water great as a recovery drink but due to it's consistency and texture I wouldn't like to have it whilst I was being active.

How do you fuel for training runs? I generally hydrate quite well, so for 26km last week I was fine without a drink the whole run. As I had not eaten a great deal for breakfast I just threw a few snakes in my pocket and had 1 or 2 every 5km's after I hit the 15km mark.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That was my first time on the coconut water. As it was Samoa they literally had just cracked some open and at the finish you go a coconut with a straw in it.

I'm in Brisbane so longer training runs of 30k or more I'll run with a water bottle full of Powerade and have a couple of gels on the run.

I usually eat a decent amount of carbs the night before a long training run too.

T

Train Without a Station

Hopefully I can handle the GC conditions pretty well. It knocked me around running there in December, but whilst I haven't lived there since 2011, I certainly don't remember July being too unbearable playing rugby.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Btw, I just ran the Samoan Marathon on Saturday. Not quite sure how I feel about the result as intended to go over and break the previous record that sat at 3:16 and I did that with a 3:11 but another bloke ran a 3:07 on the day so I feel like I want to give it another crack.

Still got a podium place in a Marathon for the first time and around $350 prize money so can't be too disappointed. Humidity was atrocious so I blew up pretty badly despite trying to rehydrate the whole way through. Went out in around 91:30 and back in 100 and you had to dodge plenty of local dogs and few pigs flying out of the roadside bushes.
Seriously good times. Well done.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Went for another run this afternoon. Did 2 km ( got to start somewhere :) )

My 7 and 4 year old daughters came with me.

7 year old jogging and 4 year old on her bike ,to keep up.

I see it as a win win for me , getting fit and spending time with my kids.

T

Train Without a Station

So I just did the GC marathon. As told by others my prep was dismal and my 4 hours 20 time was the result of it. Great to do still. Suffered some horrid cramp at 28km and was fortunate some champion gave me salt tablets at 35km and I managed to finish ok