• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RUPA supports a Draft System - Wayne Smith 'Australian'

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

In the NRC now players are making the same. Once 2nd and 3rd level players are acknowledged the payment range will go from likely between 10-15k to 50k over the next few years.

Why? The broadcast rights are locked in for the next 5 years with no increase in revenue. After years of the straining of running Super Rugby at a loss, why would they just dive in to running NRC at a loss when it brings in little to no revenue?

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
When you realise that scenario you realise there will start to be competition to get a young player to play NRC in Brisbane and 5k doesn't cut it. You're wondering where the $$ comes from. It's there. Consider it outside the cap pkayer development funding. With commercial income increasing hopefully these teams can cover their other costs. Their player costs may largely come from ARU

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
That's good TWAS because 4mill for 50k means if many are earning less than that It will likely cost less than 2mill.

Doable. And will be done.

I suspect they will increase salaries gradually

Year 1 10k to 30k
Year 2 15k to 35k
Year 3 20k to 40k
Year 4 20k to 50k

player payments would depend on contract and experience

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A jump from $5 to $50k seems unlikely to you for a number of reasons. First there is no reason why every player would get that. in NZ the minimum is 20k but top is unlimited but we'll under 100k. Players do have multi year contracts though.

In the NRC now players are making the same. Once 2nd and 3rd level players are acknowledged the payment range will go from likely between 10-15k to 50k over the next few years.

The NRC is a place Super teams can contract players outside their cap for multiple years to see if they develop into full Top grade players.

It's likely in the next five years that the ITM Cup will add another 6 six teams to the overall NPC with 4 existing teams from the second division moving up to first division and second division gaining those extra 6 teams.

On the back of increased TV revenue, the average Super Rugby salary will go up $20k per year in NZ and Heartland Cup players are set to see their salaries increase 80%.

A warchest will be started by NZRU to allow the recruitment of players seen crucial to the All Blacks to be brought back from overseas.

The Richie McCaw Sabbatical Scholarship is set to be introduced to allow one NZ based All Black who has played over 50 tests to take a season off to either study at a foreign university or get their pilot's license at their existing full NZRU salary.

Scotty Stevenson will be knighted for services to NZ Rugby Commentary and will start a commentary school where his first goal will be to try and teach Ian Jones not to lisp.

T

Train Without a Station

I suspect like most your theories. You'll be proven wrong.

The EPS was $200k for 5 Super Rugby players. That's less than what you are proposing for players who cannot gain a Super Rugby contract.

Currently all NRC teams are running at a loss. TV revenue is tapped out. Any increases in team revenue will be used to ensure their solvency. It will also likely go to increasing their franchise to more professional outfits.

Players play in the NRC to audition for Super Rugby. They use it as a stepping stone. There's already the incentive there.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
There were rumours of $2m per season from the Fox deal earmarked for NRC from this year. The ARU is likely to increase this amount in coming years.
I believe that fudemantally the deal with foxsport for the NRC is revenue neutral - they broadcast at their expense by being the key sponsor. Thus the $2mil value.

What is blantantly obvious to everyone is that rugby need to start to look change its attitudes towards funding away from the naive Santa clause mentality that the ARU have a magic sack of gifts each year and we will all get a gift.

It's unsustainable and unrealistic, thus why the insistance that the NRC be operated on a financially independent bases and start to change bad habits and the reliance on hand outs and encourage commercial opportunities etc. Merely offsetting some cost and better fiscal control will go along way and reality is player payments for example, although preferably retained can't be paid if clubs then the competitors collapse due to lack of funds.

It horse and cart stuff and living within your means.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree with you MST except in the case of player payments. Almost every single major sports league in the world pays players from a central broadcast/commercial income pool and franchises keep themselves afloat.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
players being paid independently by franchises assumes the NRC will never make money nor provide benefits and cost savings to Super Franchises (in terms of player contracting, coaching, development etc)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Mate,theres more chance if BP sticking NRC players with rego fees to play,than there is that they will be earning $50k for a comp in which teams can't yet outdraw SS clubs:)

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The reality is a strong NRC will compliment Super Teams immensely in a financial way which the ARU will recognise. It will take away alot of their larger development squads.

For this NRC needs funding and those players will be paid.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree with you MST except in the case of player payments. Almost every single major sports league in the world pays players from a central broadcast/commercial income pool and franchises keep themselves afloat.

Sent from my SM-A500L using TNb apatalk
Your missing the point. Your argument is totally reliant on all things coming from the ARU magic TV money pot. Simple maths shows that the pot is not enough to do all that you are saying.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
it only costs roughly 2mill to pay them. There is money. They may start with 1mill

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Your model is outdated and floored. Have a look at what's going on in the with the EPL teams and the possible breakaway front the champions league. So reliant on the TV magic pot model that them moment they don't qualify they lost a significant amount of revenue and put them massively in the red. So they are now ditching Europe for a lesser competion that guarantees revenue irrespective of performance domestically.

The phrase robbing Peter to pay Paul is pretty apt for this one.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The reality is,that the NRC clubs are stocked with current Super players,and club players aspiring to play Super Footy.
They are doing it for opportunity.
And in the cases I know,much less than any figures touted here.
The ARU is not going to pay any more than they need to.
Club players will continue to put their hand up to play NRC for shekels,cos they have no bargaining power.
If they don't play,there are a dozen in their position that would be thrilled to.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
with the ARU revenues going up and all other player payments going up NRC won't miss out

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
with the ARU revenues going up and all other player payments going up NRC won't miss out

This is where you are incorrect. The ARU revenue has increased but only in a sense of allowing them to pay bills, fund some programs to a good level and have a little in the bank if they budget wisely.

Costs have and are increasing, revenue is not matching expenditure.

I don't know how you can believe ARU revenue is going up if you read anything about what is going on with Rugby. Every Aussie franchise is struggling financial. The NZRU have publicly stated it's concerns about its financial future.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

NRC won't be massively subsidised by the ARU. That lesson was learned in 2007.

Yes, the intention is for it to grow and eventually there will be (all going well) more money for non-super rugby players, but it's a gradual path.

As per other posters this morning, the NRC licensees have to largely pay their own way. The Foxtel deal only covers running costs for the next 4 years or so, which are not insignificant for a tournament that spans a continent.

It's not possible to equate this competition with what happens in New Zealand. A fully national comp sits on stony ground here. Did you know, for example, that Australia had a two-tiered provincial rugby championship 48 years ago?

It lasted less than a decade and was virtually extinct by the time the NPC was begun in NZ. The reason was that the ARU ran out of money. Sound familiar? Several attempted national comps have been started and turned to dust in the last five decades. The take-home message is that any such tournament has to be largely self-sustainable.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That's a fun comment. I'm certain that the Rebels could have picked up a better 3rd string tighthead than Irish International Jamie Hagan, I mean that's why the Tahs plucked Ta'avau out of a proud Shield Club! Wait, he came from Aukland?

How about that Sam Lousi, he looks a player, why did the Rebels go for a 50 Super cap Lock from the blues instead of someone like him. What? You say he's been taken from the NZ Warriors reserve squad? Well, I don't believe that.

How about that Nick Phipps eh? Plucked straight from the Club Rugby system to the tahs, what a player. Oh. He was plucked from Club Rugby for the Rebels, then they brought him home. Well I'm sure the Tahs had a number of quality, home grown halfbacks at the time, that's why they didn't need him. Wait, that's right, Sarel Pretorius, and Grayson Hart.

It's not as extreme as it's being portrayed, but the Tahs are better only because of Geography. Reece Robinson and Taquele Naiyaravoro taken from Rugby League, Zac Guildford when he couldn't get a NZ contract.

Sick burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.