• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RUPA supports a Draft System - Wayne Smith 'Australian'

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

This is a pointless discussion. You put words in all our mouths and jump to conclusions with no logic.

For example, nobody said money should go to those who already have more money. They said it will be eaten up by covering losses incurred by all and replenishing reserves.

If every Super Rugby team gets $2M more they will break even. With the increase in community funding that leaves $10M. Then in 4 years the ARU will be down on revenue due to the RWC so they'll need some money in the bank to allow for that. I'd imagine most of the remaining $10M goes there.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The NPC in New Zealand has never been self funding.

There was no Super Rugby back then and Rugby was not professional.

The NRC players will be playing alongside Super players who just had their salaries raised by the ARU. There is no doubt the ARU will also raise wages for NRC players for fairness, to go with inflation and to support the Super teams to run smaller squads.

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

Can you explain why NZRU had to financially bail out some ITM clubs if they are not self funding? If they were funding it why would there be funding issues?

The NZRU put in place new governance, operational and financial controls to prevent a reoccourance. Each individual local union is responsible for the finances of it ITM team.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The NZ clubs that needed bailing out (Otago and one or two others) had gotten into debt over stadium and land deals. They also were paying players far more than what they could afford based on what NZR funded them.

NZR funds each Union around $1 million and less if they aren't in the top 14 unions. Sort of based on player numbers. Teams were spending even more than that on player wages and got into a hole.

Nowadays player payments are much less but still in the 20-50k range.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
ITM cup teams typically cost $1-2m a season to run with wages over half this cost.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Some teams manage to get their wage bills under the NZR funding so the local union contribution amounts to just a couple hundred thousand.

Alot of local funding comes from pokies/gaming machines + beer sponsorship. The rest local businesses even the council.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
local players pay a sub of about $100 to play for their club but it's not forced on anyone and nobody who cannot pay is made to pay

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
NZR distributes additional funds for grassroots which cannot fund the ITM Cup team. This money must be accounted for by the local union.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The ITM is still hemorrhagic players since a good player will only stay around 2-3 year waiting for Super teams then they entertain offshore contracts.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
61cf81c3b2b4b1bf636e11bc2cc5f479.gif

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
In the last 3 seasons the standard of rugby in the ITM Cup has rapidly matured also. Overseas scouts watch the games. Top super players don't want to let young guys get a start their in case they lose their spot.

There was a record amount of recruitment from the ITM over the past few seasons.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The NRC isn't trying to become a nationwide Shute Shield or a better version of it. That's the impression I'm getting. way off.

It is semi pro and that means wages. wages which go up

T

Train Without a Station

The ITM is still hemorrhagic players since a good player will only stay around 2-3 year waiting for Super teams then they entertain offshore contracts.

And that's your problem (or at least one of them). You see this as an issue.

The NRC is not there to retain players who cannot make Super Rugby. It's to retain players who can. If a player is at that level for 2-3 seasons and cannot make Super Rugby, they likely won't. Players like Marco Kotze for example showed that being a good NRC player doesn't mean you are Super Rugby standard.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Which means you see it as an extension of the wider training group. Which means they should be paid (they are) but fairly.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
You say they're more connected to Super rugby. And they're part of a commercial competition. There is no reason their pay will not increase

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Ok, let get this back on track

This thread is about RUPA supporting a draft system.

Unless you comment is specifically about the a proposed player drafting system please post elsewhere.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's definitely time to move on. I've seen enough. Move on or I'll move you on.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.