• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Will definitely be an interesting match. Some people are really questioning the Wallabies after today's display, but to win with only 24% of possession is an incredible feat. Quade's not in the form we'd like him to be, but we all know that he could turn in a MOTM performance as he is so enigmatic.

New Zealand have put in a solid display against the Argies, however without Carter and lingering doubts over the availability of Richie McCaw, they're no longer the red-hot favourites many would have suggested not so long ago.

It will be interesting to see whether Cruden starts over Slade, and whether McCaw, McCabe and Beale pass fitness tests. Should be a cracker.

Wallabies by 4.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Will definitely be an interesting match. Some people are really questioning the Wallabies after today's display, but to win with only 24% of possession is an incredible feat. Quade's not in the form we'd like him to be, but we all know that he could turn in a MOTM performance as he is so enigmatic.

New Zealand have put in a solid display against the Argies, however without Carter and lingering doubts over the availability of Richie McCaw, they're no longer the red-hot favourites many would have suggested not so long ago.

It will be interesting to see whether Cruden starts over Slade, and whether McCaw, McCabe and Beale pass fitness tests. Should be a cracker.

Wallabies by 4.

How long since Australia has won at Eden Park...they couldn't even beat the irish there.
Will the ABs feel the pressure?
Ab's by 11.

P

pete88

Injuries to loads of backs leading in to this one. Wonder what effect it will all have. Has to be said we haven't played our best yet, so maybe... maybe...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Men in Gold showed today that we can win ugly. Argies show that Darkness are vulnerable, but were let down by their discipline.

Darkness still look capable of going all the way. The injury toll on both sides will need to be known before you can really tip on this sucker.

The head space of the Wobs needs to be sorted out, and we need to play as if there is no tomorrow.

C

chief

You know I hate to bring this up so early but it all depends on the ref we have. It's quite an indictment on our game. But the ref will most likely be Wayne Barnes or Alain Rolland and Craig Joubert will get the final.

Because NZ are in it, they will keep Barnes out of it, mainly because the NZ press will chuck a hissy fit and put the headline everywhere and Paddy will probably go for Rolland. I would rather Barnes, and I think most Aussies would.

It's too early to predict the result, AB's and Wallabies have a lot of injuries. Pat McCabe, Kurtley Beale are all quite worrying.

Should be a cracker of a match. And should be a cracker of an evening for Tom Waterhouse.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
AB's looked shaky tonight without an experienced 10. After watching both matches I think Australia will go in the more confident of the two, Pocock and Horwill played blinders today and the form of JOC (James O'Connor) is looking ominous. NZ will be relying on the fitness of McCaw, Slade and Dagg but look a team with no real direction.

Wallabies by 10.

Best 3 for each team:
Aus - 3 Pocock, 2 Genia, 1 Vickerman
NZ - 3 Kaino, 2 Smith, 1 Weepu

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You know I hate to bring this up so early but it all depends on the ref we have. It's quite an indictment on our game. But the ref will most likely be Wayne Barnes or Alain Rolland and Craig Joubert will get the final.

Because NZ are in it, they will keep Barnes out of it, mainly because the NZ press will chuck a hissy fit and put the headline everywhere and Paddy will probably go for Rolland. I would rather Barnes, and I think most Aussies would.

It's too early to predict the result, AB's and Wallabies have a lot of injuries. Pat McCabe, Kurtley Beale are all quite worrying.

Should be a cracker of a match. And should be a cracker of an evening for Tom Waterhouse.

Hate to break it to you, but Paddy doesn't say who the ref is. Probably be Rolaind I would think, though Joubert would be good, mind you he does let a shit lot go at breakdown so Pocock and McCaw would have fun.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tigerland. Shewrly best approach. Don't let the gnome breed here.

Please list names of surviving Aussie backs:

thought Justin Bieber stepped up to the mark today

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hate to break it to you, but Paddy doesn't say who the ref is. Probably be Rolaind I would think, though Joubert would be good, mind you he does let a shit lot go at breakdown so Pocock and McCaw would have fun.

Bet they give us Rolland cos he speaks frog. Yew'll get Barnes

F

Fredfreduels

Would anyone make changes to the team that played this week? If so which changes?

B

Blob

If Pocock plays like that again, Australia by 10.

Pocock won't be allowed to play like that next week by either the ref or the All Blacks. I couldn't believe the poor Saffa clearing out in the first half. They made a better fist of it in the second half. The All Blacks won't be so passive. I wouldn't bet on the ref refusing to apply the tackle release and hands in the ruck laws again either, which Bryce did for both teams today.

J

Jumpers

Both teams didn't play well but were/did enough to win their games. Both teams have got injuries and I think the Wallabies are far worst off than the ABs in that depart. To early to predict the SF outcome wait for wat the inury lists throws up mind you the ABs have a much better depth on their bench Plus they could get back Dagg, Kahui and Zac!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Both teams didn't play well but were/did enough to win their games. Both teams have got injuries and I think the Wannabes are far worst off than the ABs in that depart. To early to predict the SF outcome wait for wat the inury lists throws up mind you the ABs have a much better depth on their bench Plus they could get back Dagg, Kahui and Zac!
Agree , your outside backs are the real problem. Any of them play 10, by the way?

P

pete88

I think we might see Horne in for McCabe on injuries. Which would be a slight improvement IMO. Barnes needs loads of game time, I'm kind of torn on whether he should start for QC (Quade Cooper) or McCabe (again I'm assuming he's gone) or just come on for the 10/12 that makes most sense with a minimum of 20 to go. I'm edging with keeping Quade, and lets face it it's what will happen, but hmmm... In the piggies, I think Slipper might be getting close to the number 1 jersey, but probably won't take it. I'd prefer Higgenbotham on the bench to McCalman but it won't happen so oh well.

I'm assuming, partly for my own sanity, that Beale is ok as he left the field at a run but with a limp. Rub it out, KB (Kurtley Beale), she'll be right. I was half way through typing "Fainga'a to 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 15" if KB (Kurtley Beale) is injured but... I think Fingers is a better impact player than starter going on what's happened at the RWC, although he was good in Brissie I suppose. To be honest all these changes are 50/50s, I don't think there's any miracle selections we can make to make, just have to hope the 22 turn up in form, fit and accurately execute a good gameplan.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Any of them play 10, by the way?

Dagg actually does apparently - I'm certain I read somewhere that he has a history in the position.

Obviously I'm not really suggesting he'd play there for the Blacks, but it's a little bit of pseudo-trivia.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
On the plus side, you'd have to think Cooper couldn't play as bad as he did today. I'm actually more confident than i was before today of Australia progressing to the final. The All Blacks certainly aren't as good as they are with Dan Carter. Id go with Cruden, but Cooper is capable of outplaying him next week.

Both teams have some demons to face next week. I'm quietly confident that the wallabies are going to peak at just the right time, because we haven't seen their best yet.

I'll wait til i see the injury situation for both teams before predicting a result. The loss of a beale or a mccaw could prove telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.