• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Referee Appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Gauzere. Is that the guy who had an absolute Barry Crocker in the AB-Argie game last year?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Poite is a terrible appointment for Australia in the England game. Can't see you fellas beating England with that idiot blowing the whistle.

No, I'd say we're up against it. We'd have to completely munt them, front-on, no wheeling or shenanigans and no early engage a couple of times to get him past his pre-conception, if previous efforts are anything to go on.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No, I'd say we're up against it. We'd have to completely munt them, front-on, no wheeling or shenanigans and no early engage a couple of times to get him past his pre-conception, if previous efforts are anything to go on.

I was watching a Top 14 game earlier in the year and Huia Edmonds explained the Poite doctrine on scrums. That's pretty much it - you must stay square.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He didn't seem too bothered about Corbisiero boring in on most scrums in the 3rd Lions test

But the scrum as a whole stayed square - that's the point. Dominant scrum, stay square, no nonsense at the engagement.

Interestingly Huia Edmonds also noted that the players preferred the Poite approach as they knew where they stood - as opposed to the lottery of referees trying to pick from a myriad of possible penalties.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why are you worried about ABs having Barnes first up WOB?? Doesn't worry me who ref is in any game, they all pretty good! I can almost say without fear that no ref in any game during WC will make as many mistakes as players from either team!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ actually it was @badabing59 who added the constipated smiley to his OP & I've posted many times that I don't hold Barnes (& his AR's), poor as they were, for the Cardiff disaster so much as the on- & off-field leadership groups for persisting with dumb-arse tactics that were never gonna work........... anyhoo, I sincerely hope you're right (but fear you may not be).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^So do I.

Regardless, any team which makes it to the quarter finals and beyond is most likely going to have to be refereed by Barnes, Poite, Joubert or Owen. We might as well get used to them. I suspect that one of the first 3 will be doing the final.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'd be more than happy for Barnes to be refing the Final, ABE & all that :), esp if it's NZ v Ire as I'm leaning towards putting half my once-in-four-years* $100 "to make the Final" on (other half probably NZ v Eng in which case I want Uncle Craig as ref, ta very much).

* Last time around I put $50 each on NZ v Eng @$5.50 & v Fra @$6.50 so did OK.

EDIT: NZ v Eng only paying $4 so no value there but v Ire $6.50 so firming as worth a pineapple, may have to take another look at v Fra $7.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Really my constipated smiley was purely tongue in cheek, nothing more. He's a good ref and that particular game that some Kiwis were perturbed about was a long time ago (emphasis on long)
I've moved on, nothing to see here.:)

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
But the scrum as a whole stayed square - that's the point. Dominant scrum, stay square, no nonsense at the engagement.

Interestingly Huia Edmonds also noted that the players preferred the Poite approach as they knew where they stood - as opposed to the lottery of referees trying to pick from a myriad of possible penalties.
To be fair, there was a lot less latitude this past NH season to loose heads scrummaging at all angles which is part of the reason Corbesiero has struggled. The English scrum is also nowhere near as good as they like to think it is, Ireland won that battle quite easily in the six nations.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
To be fair, there was a lot less latitude this past NH season to loose heads scrummaging at all angles which is part of the reason Corbesiero has struggled. The English scrum is also nowhere near as good as they like to think it is, Ireland won that battle quite easily in the six nations.

I think that the overhead shot of the England v Aust scrum where he bord in at 45 degrees caused a bit of a rethink in refereeing ranks. Lets hope so anyway.

One of the main weaknesses of English rugby is that they aren't as good as they think they are, hopefully this is revealed at RWC 2015.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.