• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Semi Final 2 - Australia v Argentina Twickenham, Monday 19 October, 2:45 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I have this feeling that behind the scenes the guys have been working on a game plan that's all about beating the All Blacks, and before each game they develop a sub plan to get through the opposition. Which is why we've looked a bit scratchy some times.

Just a hunch.
Ditto for the ABs. Their persistence with grubbers in behind the Bokke defence seemed like a practice run for the rush defence employed by the Wallabies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
ESDR,
Well the Wallabies wrecked the pommies RWC, which with the possible exception of the AB's in the final, they were otherwise meant to win.
We played the games they should have played at Twickenham. We're beating the sides that they should have been beating.
They're hurting badly, and they're consequently trying to imply that we're a mob of cheats.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If it's the last try, they're plain wrong.
This sequence I snapped from TV on my phone shows it clearly.
Passes it - see the ball is still behind Mitchell who's just let it go
View attachment 7147

Then see the ball travels across field, still level and is now on the ground bouncing
View attachment 7148
And then AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) here having picked it up already. Even taking momentum into account, the ball is no further forward.
View attachment 7149

You haven't allowed for parallax error, the curvature of the Earth, or the space-time continuum.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'm possibly being a bit churlish but I thought there were more than a few gimme decisions that went Argentina's way.

The reffing of the breakdown was bizarre - the penalty for an Argie turnover when the guy was literally flat out on his belly as one example, and on a number of occasions Poey had been on the ball for many seconds, only for the third wave of cleanout to finally dislodge him without any call for either turnover or tackled player not releasing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm possibly being a bit churlish but I thought there were more than a few gimme decisions that went Argentina's way.

The reffing of the breakdown was bizarre - the penalty for an Argie turnover when the guy was literally flat out on his belly as one example, and on a number of occasions Poey had been on the ball for many seconds, only for the third wave of cleanout to finally dislodge him without any call for either turnover or tackled player not releasing.

Could not possibly agree more @Tex. From the winning side, I think it speaks volumes that there is so much to criticise Barnes for in this game. Not as though we're bleating because we lost the game due to those refereeing errors.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just got back from the game (yep, you read that right) and didn't I enjoy it. Haven't had time to read the thread or watch the replay, but a couple of observations from the sideline:
1. When Daniel Hourcade came out of the tunnel for the warm-ups he did not walk straight over to his team. He walked down to the Aussies and shook Mario Ledesma's hand and gave him a big bear-hug. Class act - the sort of thing that is great about rugby.
2. Two seats down from me was a young Argentinian bloke, barely 20, who had flown over for the match on his own. He was passionate about rugby and his country. He shook my hand before the game and said in broken English that he just hoped for a good game. He had tears in his eyes during the Anthems and again at the end. He travelled a long way to see a loss but he can feel very proud of his team. Their execution and finishing let them down at critical moments but their courage and endeavour was immense. His team have some phenomenal young talent and will only get better. Now might be a good time to put a lazy fiver on them for 2019.
3. I could not believe the intensity of that game. I've watched plenty of rugby, but the violence of the hits was unbelievable.
4. How good was the Australian back row. It is hard to know where to begin with the superlatives. The skill on the ground, the strength in contact, the relentless carrying, tackling and line speed, not to mention the courage and the intensity. I have seen some pretty good back rows over the years, the current NZ back row being one of the best when they were in their pomp, but the performance today was right up there. All three of them were absolutely superb.
5. Kane Douglas take a bow. I had failed to appreciate watching on TV how much of a surge of energy he gives going into every contact. He absolutely smashed Argies in attack and defence all day. I watched him play a few games for Leinster where he was comfortably the worst forward on the field. Don't know what Chieka has been feeding him, but it has been good.
6. I reckon that is the best test I have seen Foley play. He took a couple of nice tries against England and kicked brilliantly, but his option taking and the way he brought his backs into the game today were up a notch. Great performance.
7. Genia can still be good when he puts the kick away. He was excellent today. Was also very impressed with Kuridrani's work off the ball. He plays a very important role in Australia's defensive shape.
8. Two weeks ago I reckoned Ledesma may just about be man of the tournament for Australia. I now reckon its Nathan Grey. The Puma's asked a lot more questions of Australia than the Welsh and so I reckon holding the Puma's tryless was extraordinary - the covering by everyone was superb.
9. I was on the loosehead side in the first half and while Slipper did not look at all comfortable, it did look to me like Herrera was bringing his elbow down and pulling the scrum down. Perhaps some old front rowers have some insights on that.
10. Who would have thought that a Wallaby team could be stronger without Izzy, but that was definitely the case today. Not sure what is up with him but that performance lacked any confidence of conviction - and his execution suffered accordingly. I hope the coaches can get him right in a week. Sio also, how important has he become.
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Drewster may have lost a yard of pace, but how good are they at doing the little things right. They both still have a few tracks up their sleeves
12. When Australia are good they look brilliant, but they past two weeks they have had some truly awful patches where their judgment completely deserts them. If they do not get this out of their game, it will be ugly next week.

All in all, a sensational night and one the wallabies can be truly proud of. Making a WC final is no small acheivement - I just hope that the wallabies can patch themselves back together in six days. It will be a mountain to climb.....but anything can happen in a final!

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Just got back from the game (yep, you read that right) and didn't I enjoy it. Haven't had time to read the thread or watch the replay, but a couple of observations from the sideline:
1. When Daniel Hourcade came out of the tunnel for the warm-ups he did not walk straight over to his team. He walked down to the Aussies and shook Mario Ledesma's hand and gave him a big bear-hug. Class act - the sort of thing that is great about rugby.
2. Two seats down from me was a young Argentinian bloke, barely 20, who had flown over for the match on his own. He was passionate about rugby and his country. He shook my hand before the game and said in broken English that he just hoped for a good game. He had tears in his eyes during the Anthems and again at the end. He travelled a long way to see a loss but he can feel very proud of his team. Their execution and finishing let them down at critical moments but their courage and endeavour was immense. His team have some phenomenal young talent and will only get better. Now might be a good time to put a lazy fiver on them for 2019.
3. I could not believe the intensity of that game. I've watched plenty of rugby, but the violence of the hits was unbelievable.
4. How good was the Australian back row. It is hard to know where to begin with the superlatives. The skill on the ground, the strength in contact, the relentless carrying, tackling and line speed, not to mention the courage and the intensity. I have seen some pretty good back rows over the years, the current NZ back row being one of the best when they were in their pomp, but the performance today was right up there. All three of them were absolutely superb.
5. Kane Douglas take a bow. I had failed to appreciate watching on TV how much of a surge of energy he gives going into every contact. He absolutely smashed Argies in attack and defence all day. I watched him play a few games for Leinster where he was comfortably the worst forward on the field. Don't know what Chieka has been feeding him, but it has been good.
6. I reckon that is the best test I have seen Foley play. He took a couple of nice tries against England and kicked brilliantly, but his option taking and the way he brought his backs into the game today were up a notch. Great performance.
7. Genia can still be good when he puts the kick away. He was excellent today. Was also very impressed with Kuridrani's work off the ball. He plays a very important role in Australia's defensive shape.
8. Two weeks ago I reckoned Ledesma may just about be man of the tournament for Australia. I now reckon its Nathan Grey. The Puma's asked a lot more questions of Australia than the Welsh and so I reckon holding the Puma's tryless was extraordinary - the covering by everyone was superb.
9. I was on the loosehead side in the first half and while Slipper did not look at all comfortable, it did look to me like Herrera was bringing his elbow down and pulling the scrum down. Perhaps some old front rowers have some insights on that.
10. Who would have thought that a Wallaby team could be stronger without Izzy, but that was definitely the case today. Not sure what is up with him but that performance lacked any confidence of conviction - and his execution suffered accordingly. I hope the coaches can get him right in a week. Sio also, how important has he become.
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Drewster may have lost a yard of pace, but how good are they at doing the little things right. They both still have a few tracks up their sleeves
12. When Australia are good they look brilliant, but they past two weeks they have had some truly awful patches where their judgment completely deserts them. If they do not get this out of their game, it will be ugly next week.

All in all, a sensational night and one the wallabies can be truly proud of. Making a WC final is no small acheivement - I just hope that the wallabies can patch themselves back together in six days. It will be a mountain to climb...but anything can happen in a final!
I read that first bit as: "and I didn't enjoy it".
Then kept waiting to read why.

That's a lack of sleep for you!

Great post, good to hear what conditions were like on the ground.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Got that part right.
I think (most of ) us kiwis won't be that bad. There will be some hysteria in the media in an attempt to get ratings but I can generally ignore them. We are attempting to do what no other team has ever done. Win back to back. At least we have the opportunity to play for it.

After the 2007 debacle I don't get too worked up anymore. I almost blew a foo foo valve watching that game.

I just hope it is not a dodgy red or yellow, or a missed forward pass etc that decides the game.

More importantly, you are attempting to do what no All Blacks team has ever done: win a RWC Final away from Auckland!!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Ugh. So. Damn. Tired.

goggles meme.jpg

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I can't even think straight after that. I need to watch it another couple of times before I get any semblance of thoughts together.

Nearly everything I want to say has been covered except for how good was Genia under the high ball. I'm going to have to scout for the moment, but at one stage he took an absolute screamer that belonged in the AFL. For a man of his stature to get up above everyone else is very impressive.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)

Na you're not being churlish. I was calling him 'Pedro Barnes' by the 60th minute. o_O. Some of those lineout throws he let go broke my jaw from hitting the ground.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
We are also trying to do something no other team has ever done , that is win three World Cups ,, good news is we can improve on that , not sure how much improvement the ABs have in them but you never know .
Barnes was poor at best and seemed to be reffing one side at a few stages , what about lying around at the backof the ruck , Genia was like a mountain goat a lot of the time , and straight throws to the lineou ? at one stage the Argies had to take 3 steps back to get the ball , what a world cup ! fantastic ! now we need to finish it .

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The ITV guys were talking it up post game, basically saying it was definitely forward and shocking that it wasn't referred. Lynagh practically went off on them, never seen him so pissed off.

They used a straight line on the analysis to "prove" it went forward, even though the only thing that matters is whether it's backwards out of the hands. Salty!
That didn't win us the game,although it did seal it.
Anyone Who suggests that decision changed the game,knows less about Rugby than my mother in law (who btw knows fuck all about anything!)

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
It's just weird how hysterical sections of the tabloid media have been about the Wallabies

Wallabies aren't really anyone's #2 team or anything, for some reason people tend to like having a bash at us.

See how they feel Sunday morning when we are bashing Bill over their fucking heads. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.