• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Couldn't find a thread.... there might be one out there.....

With the release of ticket prices yesterday I have a question -

"England Rugby 2015 has had to guarantee the International Rugby Board a return of £80m from the tournament and its only source of revenue is the income from around 2.3m tickets, with the IRB keeping broadcasting, licensing, sponsorship and hospitality income."

Why?

Full article - http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/jun/20/2015-rugby-world-cup-ticket-prices

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Similar arrangements were in place for RWC11 in NZ and I'm pretty sure that NZRU and the NZ Govt ended up losing money on the tournament itself.

The NZ Govt and hospitality industry probably made a fair chunk of $ on the back of the RWC tournament. One suspects that there will not be a RWC back in NZ without similar assurances of government assistance.

The IRB will claim that the profit from RWC licences is used to fund development in Tier 2 and Tier 3 countries. The sceptic in me says that only a small portion of that actually gets thrown at the grass roots in the Tier 2 and Tier 3 countries with large chunks of the profit being used to keep gravy train going for the "old Farts", filling the Pie Warmer and Wine Cellar at HQ IRB.

It would be useful to see an independent analysis of the IRB accounts to see precisely and simply where the money goes.

That being said, there does seem to be some great work being done around the world in Tier 3 countries based on the show on Foxtel that follows The Rugby Club on Thursday nights - I forget the name of it ATM.

M

Muttonbird

Interesting. A thread is started about the 2015 rugby world cup and immediately the discussion is about money, and not rugby.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
I hope you blokes get a lot better in the next two years bearing in mind where the cup is being played and relative strenghts. Pool A looks to be a nightmare for you.

Australia
England
Wales
Oceania 1 (Fiji I assume)
Playoff winner.

Someone good is not making it to the knockout stages.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is anyone on here harbouring plans going over for this one?

Not at this stage unless I win a trip from Heineken or something awesome like that. Selling a trip to NZ for the World Cup to the wife is a fair bit easier than going to the UK.

But if I was somehow able to wrangle it I would have to tie it in with a lot of Beer related tourism.

Say, go over around the 20th of Sept and fly in to Prague for couple days, then hit up Pilsen, Bamberg and into Munich for Oktoberfest for 3 or 4 days.

Then flick up through Bruges and Amsterdam and over to Cardiff to get there for Oct 1 Wales v Fiji, then AB's v Romania or whoever on the 2nd. Then head to London for Wallabies v Soap Dodgers on the 3rd and Ireland v Italy on 4th.

After that on to the plane home to sober up.....

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Not at this stage unless I win a trip from Heineken or something awesome like that. Selling a trip to NZ for the World Cup to the wife is a fair bit easier than going to the UK.

But if I was somehow able to wrangle it I would have to tie it in with a lot of Beer related tourism.

:cool:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Now that match day squads are required to carry an extra prop, has there been any word on RWC squads being expanded to 31 or 32 (pretty sure only 30 were allowed in 2011)? If not some teams, AB defo included, are gonna have to leave someone(s) pretty decent out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Doesn't seem like there's been any announcement regarding squad sizes. All the punters are expecting an increase but there hasn't been any mention of it yet.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Is anyone on here harbouring plans of going over for this one?

My sons are going on a school tour to coincide with some of the games so there is really no alternative than to go over myself to make sure they are OK.
Wish I could do it for the price the school has got - although it did cost more when they swapped from Malaysian a few weeks ago.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Steady on there @IS:

"From a posh university on the outskirts of London to a third division rugby club in the north-east of England, the All Blacks have had their training bases confirmed for next year's World Cup."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/10428438/All-Blacks-World-Cup-training-bases-named

We only get the Sport Wales facility for the Georgia pool match which should hopefully work out a bit better for us than the last time we went to Cardiff for a RWC match lol.

Your blokes get the University of Bath & Dulwich College, wherever that is.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Dulwich is a pretty nice school, went there in 2007 on a school rugby tour, fields are really nice, dont have the facilities like some GPS schools though. At least they didnt when i was there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.