• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 1/4 Final England vs Australia

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Only bringing two halfbacks was a failure; Phipps as a clubman, could have been a genuine option with his skillset. Now it isn't trolling, but if say Foley and Phipps/Genia were given the time in the middle to develop combinations with Kerevi/13 and the forwards we would have been better off.

I know I'm statin the bleating obvious......... but Phipps wasn't the next best halfback option, and certainly wouldn't have done any better than White or Genia.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
There's a perfectly rational reason for playing ball-in-hand: nobody in the side can fucking kick. The fundamental skills are dreadful. Composure and basic decision-making was non-existent. Looking at the scoreboard, you'd think England were attacking geniuses, until you realise that most of their points came from turnovers due to handling errors or fucking intercepts. What a shitshow. And blaming Cheika is so far from the mark it't not funny.

Yep. This is yet another 'Australian rugby is up shit creek' post. As if we haven't been hearing about it since 2011.

We stack talented juniors into a handful of private school 1st XVs in Brisbane and Sydney, and wonder why (a) our professional teams can't cope against quality opposition and (b) why nobody aside from merchant bankers and trust fund idiots gives a fuck about the game anymore.ssskils development is basically outsourced to these schools.

Compare with NZ and you couldn't find a more divergent course since the distasters of the 2007 world cup quatter finals. They looked theirselves in the mirror and realised that wholesale change was needed - not with the test coach and captain, but in their overall approach to developing rugby - and took a top-down approach in skils development and playing style. Australia carried on with its self-delusion and back-slapping (It's hard to avoid the temptation to draw parallels with Australia's political, commercial, industrial, and academic culture), while junior rugby was being white-anted, with the inevitable mediocrity of the state teams, and now the test side upon us. It's only going to get worse.

Th0mo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah, right. We didn't win. To win the world cup AND beat NZ is a thing that has only happened once.
Or twice? 1991 and 1995. But been a while as the Wallabies and the French failed to go all the way after ambushing NZ in 1999, 2003 and 2007 and they have translated their usual dominance to knock out rugby since then.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Obviously there was some sloppy handling due to forcing plays but overall I look at that and think that we had the cattle the game plan is just broke. We definitely need to invest in a stock of flyhalfs. That should be where $2.4M goes - not to an NRL Fijian winger.
So much wasted energy trying to score from nowhere. Not much smart rugby and I think that’s the coach and game plan.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
UK commentator summed it up at one point. We tried 4 times to run it from
Within our 22. Four runs into contact. Four big rucks and then we kick it. Wasted a lot of energy and risked a lot of ball

Turtle

Bob McCowan (2)
Pathetic that Cheika asked reporter to think about his feelings. Its a a game of rugby union ffs. Can you imagine Steve Hansen saying that? Obviously lost the plot a long time ago, but weak management let him continue in role. And who ever said Aussie fans love watching continual 5m hit ups, bereft of any attacking plan? The guy presumed that's what we wanted but doubt he ever asked any club player what they thought. Arrogant prick, sayoonara.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I didn't post or have computer on during game , and haven't bothered reading through all the posts as I assume there are some hurting supporters , so my take for what it's worth. That as I said earlier is a pretty good Pommy team, well balanced and skilled, and were probably favourites to win. I a little surprised how easily they seemed to win it though. For the Wallabies it was hard to pick out good players, Petaia went well , thought Pocock had a good one, and certainly wouldn't rubbish the front row, unfortunately a few were average as far as test rugby is concerned, and thought Genia had one or his not very good games, was pretty slow on his service and didn't help his backline at all, and with CLL or To'omua at 10 both while good super rugby class players at 10 are just that so need every bit of fast ball they can get. End of the day 9-10 needs to be a lot lot better for the Wallabies to move up world rankings I think. As for rest well I wouldn't want to kick any of the 23 , they gave it everything they had I thought and were just a little short in skills and ability.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
There's a perfectly rational reason for playing ball-in-hand: nobody in the side can fucking kick. The fundamental skills are dreadful. Composure and basic decision-making was non-existent. Looking at the scoreboard, you'd think England were attacking geniuses, until you realise that most of their points came from turnovers due to handling errors or fucking intercepts. What a shitshow. And blaming Cheika is so far from the mark it't not funny.

Yep. This is yet another 'Australian rugby is up shit creek' post. As if we haven't been hearing about it since 2011.

We stack talented juniors into a handful of private school 1st XVs in Brisbane and Sydney, and wonder why (a) our professional teams can't cope against quality opposition and (b) why nobody aside from merchant bankers and trust fund idiots gives a fuck about the game anymore.ssskils development is basically outsourced to these schools.

Compare with NZ and you couldn't find a more divergent course since the distasters of the 2007 world cup quatter finals. They looked theirselves in the mirror and realised that wholesale change was needed - not with the test coach and captain, but in their overall approach to developing rugby - and took a top-down approach in skils development and playing style. Australia carried on with its self-delusion and back-slapping (It's hard to avoid the temptation to draw parallels with Australia's political, commercial, industrial, and academic culture), while junior rugby was being white-anted, with the inevitable mediocrity of the state teams, and now the test side upon us. It's only going to get worse.

While I agree about developmental pathways in this country working poorly it was the coach who kept no consistency in his selections for five years, it was the coach who picked players out of position, it was the coach who selected players with gaping holes in technique, and it was the coach that formulated the one dimensional tactics that were often exposed such as last night.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)

Are you seriously suggesting that we were forced to bosh it up in our own 22 because no one on the field is capable of kicking it down the paddock or into touch?

That in the 3 bloody years since the emergence of Reece Hodge, we haven't been able to craft a simple 1st phase clearing kick strategy using his 60 metre boot?

Give me a break.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I thought I had emotionally prepared myself going into the game last night, I knew what was on the cards but there is always hope. Reading through this thread I see I am as shattered as everyone else today.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Are you seriously suggesting that we were forced to bosh it up in our own 22 because no one on the field is capable of kicking it down the paddock or into touch?

That in the 3 bloody years since the emergence of Reece Hodge, we haven't been able to craft a simple 1st phase clearing kick strategy using his 60 metre boot?

Give me a break.

Hodge is slow to the kick but kicks big. Pushed in deep in our quarter with a thriving rush we did not have the ability to create the space needed for Hodge to be able to kick. And going 60m is fine if you don't have to start 20m back, otherwise same result as any other kicker.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I thought I had emotionally prepared myself going into the game last night, I knew what was on the cards but there is always hope. Reading through this thread I see I am as shattered as everyone else today.

Marika's try and then the Poms hitting back through an unmarked Sinclair broke me. For a brief moment, I thought we were going to do it and then it was snatched away ever so quickly.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Did anyone else notice Hodge taking kick-offs last night? Have we been doing that at the RWC, or was this a first?

He was pretty decent, too.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Marika's try and then the Poms hitting back through an unmarked Sinclair broke me. For a brief moment, I thought we were going to do it and then it was snatched away ever so quickly.

Sinckler's try is one of the slickest I have seen.