1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 1/4 Final England vs Australia

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by Dismal Pillock, Oct 14, 2019.

1. The_Brown_Hornet Michael Lynagh (62)

The only thing that could make this OK would be a Farrell red card for a high no-arms shot.
    boyo likes this.
  2. Ulrich Bill McLean (32)

Jerome Garces doesn't know a dominant scrum when he sees one. Depending how the scrums go, it could be a curse or a blessing for Australia.

Nigel Owens gets to ref whoever he wants it seems.

Nigel: I wanna ref Wales.
    WR: Sure, go ahead.
    Nigel: I wanna ref NZ.
    WR: That's a given, mate.
  3. dru Paul McLean (56)

The game. But keep the DVD case handy.
    Uh huh and wamberal like this.
  4. Derpus Mark Ella (57)

You can't post these anecdotes while I'm at work mate.
  5. Seb V Geoff Shaw (53)

I love how Jaco at the end says to Hooper "i think your player was using the shoulder too" - wtf? Its not illegal for the ball carrier to do that. Crazy. Farrell's gotten away with a few of those, the hit on the SA bloke was even worse too.
    Spruce Moose likes this.
  6. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

You have not been listening to Skeen closely enough, then. Not sure he is that easy to silence.
    "If I can just take you back to something that happened earlier...".
  7. drewprint Dave Cowper (27)

One day he’ll take us back far enough to see who hurt him and caused him to hate the game so much.
  8. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

Nobody else can drop those lines like Jaco, where he literally invents a law to fit his interpretation.
  9. Spruce Moose Ted Fahey (11)

Just goes to show that you don't really know how the ref is going to be until the day. We had Poite against England in 2015 and he rewarded our dominance in the scrum then and reff'd well, bar the first scrum when he awarded a penalty to England (I even remember being concerned pre game about a french ref.)

So think we just need to ensure we don't give the ref reason to penalise and card our players, that is Cheika's job to convey to players how to take the ref out of the game. I'm not concerned with the Kerevi fend issue, that has been a one off (we have had Skeen multiple times this RWC now) and hasn't happened in any other game. Think the problem was a much Patchell useless tackling stance bringing attention to it.

I hope Cheika is drilling into all the players to keep the tackles low and also be very careful with clear outs at ruck time.
  10. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

I tell you what if Aus ever wanted ben Skeen, it's this game, he will NOT miss a chance to chack check any Farrell high no armers!! He an annoying prick but he sure doesn't miss much!!
  11. Adam84 Arch Winning (36)

Until Naisarani can start taking a catch in the lineout I don’t think he should start, against Georgia he fumbled 3 of the 4 throws that went to him, he might be tall but he lacks the technique to effectively jump in the lineout, and it’s compromising the attacking platform provided from lineouts on Australia throw.

Some on here have argued he jumped for the Brumbies 12-18 months ago so it wasn’t an issue, but the evidence is now clear and I don’t think he will pick skill set up in the week off.
    Bobby Sands and dru like this.
  12. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

Of course, you are right. Most refs are usually pretty good. Some have random episodes of mystifying. Unfortunately, we have a few of those together. If we play smart enough and well enough, should be able to take them out of the equation.
    Edit - we won't though. ;)
  13. Sully John Eales (66)

Drew is not impressed 72619030_2523417894419318_3713875422195220480_n.jpg
    boyo, Troy, Tomikin and 1 other person like this.
  14. Up the Guts Peter Sullivan (51)

It's a stitch-up having these four goobers officiating but do we actually they'll be sticking their necks out? Surely all the refs will be trying to have a Ben O'Keefe Japan vs Scotland type game where they hardly interject or is that just beyond the capacity of Skeeny?
    The Nomad likes this.
  15. KOB1987 Mark Ella (57)

Yeah, I tend to agree. There's going to be so much focus on them they may actually err on the conservative side. What I'd like to see for the finals is that unless something looks really, really bad and intentional, give a yellow and let the citing dude deal with it after.
    Spruce Moose likes this.
  16. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

You notice if Ben O'Keefe has been rewarded with a quarter final after his performance in that game? How do you reckon his post-match assesment went?
  17. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

Yep but we don't really want the refs to even consider reffing different because it's a final. Just get it reasonably right!!
  18. The_Brown_Hornet Michael Lynagh (62)

Yeah just get the key calls right, that's all we ask.
    Seb V likes this.
  19. Up the Guts Peter Sullivan (51)

Could it be he was written off because of the earlier uproar over Kato and Hodge?
  20. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

I was being a bit factitious!
    I think I saw somewhere that he, and a few others (Berry) weren't considered for finals because of their relative lack of experience
    Up the Guts likes this.