• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 England vs Argentina

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Seriously? What are they meant to do? I thought it a red as soon as I saw it. Do we go like league and say "oh shit it a big game so let everything go"? I was having a bit of a luagh when I heard Kearnsie insist that it should be looked at after the game, funny I missed him saying that when Scott Barrett was rightfully carded against Wallabies!
I think Kearns was talking about getting rid of red cards (not disputing the decision). Seems a bit much that a non-deliberate tackle should torpedo four years of build-up.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think Kearns was talking about getting rid of red cards (not disputing the decision). Seems a bit much that a non-deliberate tackle should torpedo four years of build-up.

Yep I realise what he meant, but I don't think really bugger all dangerous tackles etc are done on purpose just done wrong, so if we followed Kearnsie idea of no Reds, do we get rid of yellows etc?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yep I realise what he meant, but I don't think really bugger all dangerous tackles etc are done on purpose just done wrong, so if we followed Kearnsie idea of no Reds, do we get rid of yellows etc?
No, I think we put players on report, keep the offending team a man down for at least 10 minutes (no more than 20) and then allow a sub on.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No, I think we put players on report, keep the offending team a man down for at least 10 minutes (no more than 20) and then allow a sub on.

Genuine question, would this discussion be happening if say Farrell had been red carded, or one of the Poms? It only comes up when the team we want to win is the one who loses a player!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Genuine question, would this discussion be happening if say Farrell had been red carded, or one of the Poms? It only comes up when the team we want to win is the one who loses a player!

Probably, there was a long discussion about it during the week on another thread.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Sometimes our patriotism comes into it but I think mostly people just want to watch a game with the same numbers of players on the pitch. And the filthy fuckers watching from the stands.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
It was a red by the letter of the law, but I switched over to Netflix because the game was no longer a contest. This increase in red cards is not good for the game. I like the ideas posted about 10-20 minutes off then can't return for that game. The NRL is probably too lenient in placing a player on report, allow them to finish the game then sanction after the game, but Rugby double dips by sending off as well as suspending the player as well.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It was a red by the letter of the law, but I switched over to Netflix because the game was no longer a contest. This increase in red cards is not good for the game. I like the ideas posted about 10-20 minutes off then can't return for that game. The NRL is probably too lenient in placing a player on report, allow them to finish the game then sanction after the game, but Rugby double dips by sending off as well as suspending the player as well.
Yep well I not saying that maybe the laws can't be tweaked, but I only commented in reply to the comments saying Owens and WR (World Rugby) stuffed the game, Owens I thought reffed to his usual very high standard, and I was surprised that so many felt it was his fault and not seemingly the player that did the head high shot! We seem to have very very strange standards on this forum at times!

To add I watched whole game, and although I was cheering for Argentina ,I thought that Pom team looked like they will be very hard to beat, as an AB supporter I would worry meeting them at some stage as they don't seem to have a many weaknesses that show readily!

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yep well I not saying that maybe the laws can't be tweaked, but I only commented in reply to the comments saying Owens and WR (World Rugby) stuffed the game, Owens I thought reffed to his usual very high standard, and I was surprised that so many felt it was his fault and not seemingly the player that did the head high shot! We seem to have very very strange standards on this forum at times!

To add I watched whole game, and although I was cheering for Argentina ,I thought that Pom team looked like they will be very hard to beat, as an AB supporter I would worry meeting them at some stage as they don't seem to have a many weaknesses that show readily!
Absolutely. Owens (And TMO) had to award red and it's not their fault. The rules are the problem:)

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)

A not subtle version of playing the man not the ball.

Absolutely we would. No doubt at all. A game of 14 v 15 for 60 mins is a debacle whoever the team is.

Whatever the legality, and I don't doubt the accuracy of the call, it is detrimental to the game to have a team play down on numbers in a major game on our showcase to the world.

The issue isn't the sending off itself, it's about where the game takes itself (or has taken itself so) that we see these results at the RWC.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

I agree, England by far looked like the better team, so I don't think anyone would argue that the decision probably affected the final outcome. I do agree that red cards do kill the contest, especially when a team receives one early in the game. At the end of the day Rugby like all professional sport is in the entertainment business and I'm not sure red cards are adding to the spectacle in a positive way.

My only concern with the 10mins off and then you can replace with another player option is, what stops the team in say a crucial game having a player take out a key player in the other team, they play 14 and then sub on a better player off the bench. I'd like to think no player or coach would sink so low, but the punishment might not be correct for the impact on the team who have now lost their star player if this scenario occur (premeditated or not).

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
/snip

Yeah, they did look good. They are a solid team. I thought they were a bit slow on attack with their forwards (in the first half at least), they stepped up a bit at the start of the second half. Especially considering they had an extra man. Certainly not a high tempo forward game but the NH sides rarely are. They look good from 1-15 but I haven't seen that higher gear yet required for the top few teams.

The only thing you need to know once the quarters roll around though.. anything can happen. That's what world cups are for, average ass teams, stuttering through the pools showing up on one particular day. (I know the history)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I agree, England by far looked like the better team, so I don't think anyone would argue that the decision probably affected the final outcome. I do agree that red cards do kill the contest, especially when a team receives one early in the game. At the end of the day Rugby like all professional sport is in the entertainment business and I'm not sure red cards are adding to the spectacle in a positive way.

My only concern with the 10mins off and then you can replace with another player option is, what stops the team in say a crucial game having a player take out a key player in the other team, they play 14 and then sub on a better player off the bench. I'd like to think no player or coach would sink so low, but the punishment might not be correct for the impact on the team who have now lost their star player if this scenario occur (premeditated or not).

You would need to deal with it outside the game itself and firmly. It would take "professional foul" to a new level.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Nah I wish Barrett wasn't Red Carded in Perth, as I feel the wallabies would have went on to win it anyway with the momentum they had that day.

The win would have been better 15 v 15.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
The maddening thing is the inconsistency within the game. The rules say that's a red so off he goes at the time Nige said in real time that tackle is fine but his mate in the booth helps him out.

The rules also say that taking a guy out in the air is at least a yellow but apparently there's some level of air now that required or did Nige just decided to ref as he saw it no card. I mean really?

The big boys seem to get the benefit of the doubt and the minnows get screwed. Maddening.