• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 SF1: New Zealand v England

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And on the English side of things.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ected-to-bring-back-george-ford-for-semifinal

Potentially dual playmakers and reinforced lineout's on both sides. Have a sneaky suspicion that there just may be a bit of kicking in this one.

It's quite fun with everyone predicting teams etc isn't it? I was trying to work out who I thought would be best and figured that perhap Shag and Co would of studied England's game (sorry Chuckles some do it), and would figure out who their team is from their. I do think they will have to try and combat England's loosies, I reckon Curry and Underhill are pretty bloody good and were bloody good against Wallabies! I could understand the Ford/Farrell combo, certainly gives options for attack and getting out of trouble.
Can I say I getting excited!!!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZHurld & stuff.co.nz both running stories that due to Todd's injury & needing a third lineout target (fourth counting Read) we're going to see 6. ScoBar 7. Ardie 20. Cane.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Team named.

1. Joe Moody (44 caps)
2. Codie Taylor (49)
3. Nepo Laulala (24)
4. Brodie Retallick (79)
5. Samuel Whitelock (116)
6. Scott Barrett (34)
7. Ardie Savea (43)
8. Kieran Read (125) (C)
9. Aaron Smith (90)
10. Richie Mo’unga (15)
11. George Bridge (8)
12. Anton Lienert-Brown (41)
13. Jack Goodhue (12)
14. Sevu Reece (6)
15. Beauden Barrett (81)

16. Dane Coles (67)
17. Ofa Tu'ungafasi (34)
18. Angus Ta'avao (12)
19. Patrick Tuipulotu (28)
20. Sam Cane (66)
21. T J Perenara (63)
22. Sonny Bill Williams (56)
23. Jordie Barrett (15)

So the speculation was spot on about S.Barrett, not so much about Moli.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Team named.

1. Joe Moody (44 caps)
2. Codie Taylor (49)
3. Nepo Laulala (24)
4. Brodie Retallick (79)
6. Scott Barrett (34)
7. Ardie Savea (43)
8. Kieran Read (125) (C)
9. Aaron Smith (90)
10. Richie Mo’unga (15)
11. George Bridge (8)
13. Jack Goodhue (12)
14. Sevu Reece (6)
15. Beauden Barrett (81)

16. Dane Coles (67)
17. Ofa Tu'ungafasi (34)
18. Angus Ta'avao (12)
20. Sam Cane (66)
21. T J Perenara (63)
23. Jordie Barrett (15)

Boy oh boy. Gone are the days of keeping teams consistent.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can't see Underhill and Curry dominating the contact area against NZ the same way they did against Aus.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is Scott Barrett quick enough to be an effective 6 around the park?
Probably a lower lever requirement given his other strengths.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Barrett has played at blindside plenty for the Crusaders, and 9 of his 34 test caps (26%) are on the flank. He also came on at blindside in two of the AB's more important recent matches: against England at Twickenham in 2018, and against Ireland in the quarterfinal. Both of those changes came at, or around, halftime. So they're at least confident that he can produce against the big boys for long periods.

He's typically done a good job as he strengthens the lineout significantly (doubly so compared with the Savea/Cane/Read trio) without giving too much away at the breakdown. Though this would obviously be his greatest test as a blindside to date.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
ENGLAND: Elliot Daly, Anthony Watson, Manu Tuilagi, Owen Farrell, Jonny May, George Ford, Ben Youngs; Mako Vunipola, Jamie George, Kyle Sinckler, Maro Itoje, Courtney Lawes, Tom Curry, Sam Underhill, Billy Vunipola.
Replacements: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Joe Marler, Dan Cole, George Kruis, Mark Wilson, Willi Heinz, Henry Slade, Jonathan Joseph.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
ENGLAND: Elliot Daly, Anthony Watson, Manu Tuilagi, Owen Farrell, Jonny May, George Ford, Ben Youngs; Mako Vunipola, Jamie George, Kyle Sinckler, Maro Itoje, Courtney Lawes, Tom Curry, Sam Underhill, Billy Vunipola.
Replacements: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Joe Marler, Dan Cole, George Kruis, Mark Wilson, Willi Heinz, Henry Slade, Jonathan Joseph.

Interesting that they didn't strengthen the line out with Kruis after NZ selected Barret. Thought english line out was poor against the Wobs.

So Ford back in, big call but think Ireland showed that you need to be very good at tactical kicking with Beauden Barrett at FB. Any rubbishy kick down the centre of the park is going to be coming back very quickly with him at 15. So can understand why they bring someone like Ford in, although I still rate their team better when Farrell is at 10.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Team named.

1. Joe Moody (44 caps)
2. Codie Taylor (49)
3. Nepo Laulala (24)
4. Brodie Retallick (79)
6. Scott Barrett (34)
7. Ardie Savea (43)
8. Kieran Read (125) (C)
9. Aaron Smith (90)
10. Richie Mo’unga (15)
11. George Bridge (8)
13. Jack Goodhue (12)
14. Sevu Reece (6)
15. Beauden Barrett (81)

16. Dane Coles (67)
17. Ofa Tu'ungafasi (34)
18. Angus Ta'avao (12)
20. Sam Cane (66)
21. T J Perenara (63)
23. Jordie Barrett (15)

Yep they’re using a lineup Australia should have used with a pack suited to dominating the set piece, ABs are going to use the lineout as an attacking platform all day long. Australia played into England’s hands by neglecting the lineout and selecting only two jumpers

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wondered that too Dc, perhaps they see the need to tie them up physically. And then Cane on later to keep pace up?

Or. You tie him up in the set piece

Can’t do much if he is sucked into a 7 man lineout all day