• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 SF2: SA vs Wales

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just saw a quote from a bunch of blokes watching the game at the pub - ‘thank fuck that’s over’.

As boring as they are, maybe we underestimate the effectiveness of Wales’ tactics. They did win the 6N undefeated after all, and as recently as last week were ranked #2 in the world. They play to their strengths, which is boring Rugby, and it took a very good springboks team to beat them.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
10 missed tackles out of 142. Don’t under estimate the Boks defence, plus they are very happy to let the opposition have the ball. Think it will be close next week.

Also the balls on Faf De Klerk to kick that banana at the end, he isn’t my cup of tea but he is pretty good under pressure. Probably best scrum half this RWC.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Thank god they're gone. In case I didn't make myself clear earlier, Wales were easily the most excruciating team to watch. To think that side stumbled to within 3 points of a World Cup final, above so many better sides.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
You're a better man/woman the me Brown Hornet (actually probably not, you are a creation of Bill Cosby afterall), I'm completely unapologetic.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
That’s a fucking disgrace by Gatland.

A massive injustice to the fans of Welsh rugby

How can you complain about the result when you play negative, pointless rugby for 60-odd minutes.

To go down like that is an insult to Edwards, Davies etc

Out of curiosity, how would you have liked to have seen Wales play?

I honestly think they played with a lot of guts and in many ways did as well as they could/SA let them with the cattle they had. I mean the boys up front were going backwards more oft than not, their scrum was creaking and they lost Williams before the game and then North during which was a blow. . . not to mention all the other injuries, including not having Anscombe for the campaign which was always going to change their attacking approach.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
10 missed tackles out of 142. Don’t under estimate the Boks defence

The ruck ball was pretty slow though, so Wales wasn't exactly testing them with dynamic plays or retreating defence much. A lot of to the pod, running directly at the defence. Still not bad though.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thank god they're gone. In case I didn't make myself clear earlier, Wales were easily the most excruciating team to watch. To think that side stumbled to within 3 points of a World Cup final, above so many better sides.

I think you're not giving enough credit to South Africa for how boring that game was. They passed the ball even less times than Wales did, and kicked the ball about the same number of times.

I'd like to see a rule variation trialled where a mark can be called up to the 10 metre line within your half. That would reduce the incentive to keep box kicking high kicks all the time.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Out of curiosity, how would you have liked to have seen Wales play?

I honestly think they played with a lot of guts and in many ways did as well as they could/SA let them with the cattle they had. I mean the boys up front were going backwards more oft than not, their scrum was creaking and they lost Williams before the game and then North during which was a blow. not to mention all the other injuries, including not having Anscombe for the campaign which was always going to change their attacking approach.

Fair question. And my initial comment was partly one of pride/history.

However, they were not (in the first 60), even looking to make some progress. The box kicking was pointless, barely chased and poorly directed. It wasn’t the box kicking of Aaron Smith, more like Wet weather footy in middle England. Ugly.

Anscombe missing isn’t an excuse to not contest the ball or chase kicks

Given that Wales have a proud history and this was Gatland’s last game, I’d have thought he’d have gone down swinging, like a 120 years of Welsh teams before him.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
That’s a fucking disgrace by Gatland.

A massive injustice to the fans of Welsh rugby

How can you complain about the result when you play negative, pointless rugby for 60-odd minutes.

To go down like that is an insult to Edwards, Davies etc

Are you forgetting all the kicking from hand by SA?

Reactions: Tex

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I think you're not giving enough credit to South Africa for how boring that game was. They passed the ball even less times than Wales did, and kicked the ball about the same number of times.

Oh for sure, takes two to tango. But Wales had served that pap up consistently over the entire tournament. Thus my comment earlier about them dragging their opponents down to dizzying lows.