• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A; 2:45am (AEDT) Sunday 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Are there any Welshmen left standing for this match? Could one of the resident boyos put up a suggested red team.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
After Australia win tonight it'll be interesting to see which of CH and Cheika cracks first in the Mexican standoff to announce their team.

Oh god! There. the optimism gnome is back in town. I'll have to dig out one of my dvds of classic welsh rugby disasters from the 90s to calm down.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dr Seuss foresaw the "You announce your team first" standoff in "The Zax".

Zax3.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are there any Welshmen left standing for this match? Could one of the resident boyos put up a suggested red team.

You'd have to think that their team that played Fiji was very close to full strength.

Liam Williams would presumably come back into the side if he's recovered from his concussion.

I'm not entirely sure what the backline structure would be as Tyler Morgan who played 13 against Fiji is the obvious one to drop out. That leaves Williams and Matt Morgan fighting it out between fullback and 13.

Wales replacement front row performed better than the starters so perhaps Samson Lee could come into the starting side.

There's definitely an argument to say that Charteris could push ahead of Bradley Davies to partner Wyn Jones.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
You'd have to think that their team that played Fiji was very close to full strength.

Liam Williams would presumably come back into the side if he's recovered from his concussion.

I'm not entirely sure what the backline structure would be as Tyler Morgan who played 13 against Fiji is the obvious one to drop out. That leaves Williams and Matt Morgan fighting it out between fullback and 13.

Wales replacement front row performed better than the starters so perhaps Samson Lee could come into the starting side.

There's definitely an argument to say that Charteris could push ahead of Bradley Davies to partner Wyn Jones.

If Australia beat England then you re almost certainly right but he won't change the forwards at all. To be honest, apart from 13 and despite the injuries, the side is pretty much as strong as as ever.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
If Australia beat England I am wondering if Cheika will run the B-team out with the Pooper & Folau on the bench next week. I don't mean this out of disrespect to Wales rather from a man-management point of view and to avoid injuries to some keys players. I think the squad has some great depth and would back the side that beat Uruguay to get the job down against Wales.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be surprised if Cheika didn't go a full strength side next week regardless.

This team needs more minutes together and I don't think you want any players not playing a week before a knock out game.

You can't fear injuries at this point.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If Australia beat England I am wondering if Cheika will run the B-team out with the Pooper & Folau on the bench next week. I don't mean this out of disrespect to Wales rather from a man-management point of view and to avoid injuries to some keys players. I think the squad has some great depth and would back the side that beat Uruguay to get the job down against Wales.

I highly doubt it. The only way it could be possible IMO is if South Africa lose to Scotland tonight.

But there's a very big incentive to top the pool so we should play our best team. Come 2nd and our path is likely to be South Africa in the quarters, New Zealand in the semis.

And I don't have the same confidence in our B team. At most it would be a mixed team to rest a couple of key players or anyone with niggles. Wales are a very strong side and will have had a 10 day break.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd be surprised if Cheika didn't go a full strength side next week regardless.

This team needs more minutes together and I don't think you want any players not playing a week before a knock out game.

You can't fear injuries at this point.

When Aus beat England, I'd like to see one or two changes for Wales. But only in spots where there is little between the players under consideration and where the starter against Englandmight benefit from a rest. For instance, maybe TPN for Squeaky, perhaps one of the front rowers, maybe a centre or winger. Not all, mind, but maybe one or two.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
When Aus beat England, I'd like to see one or two changes for Wales. But only in spots where there is little between the players under consideration and where the starter against Englandmight benefit from a rest. For instance, maybe TPN for Squeaky, perhaps one of the front rowers, maybe a centre or winger. Not all, mind, but maybe one or two.

makes sense. We'll be doing the same. Think CH will try a few alternatives too

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does swapping players in our most difficult positions at this point make it more likely we end up with a better team or just destine those positions to continue being our weak points? It's hard to know.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
You don't want to come second in this pool.
Because (probably) it's the Boks then the ABs (touch fuckin wood)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Winner plays Scotland (Samoa are woeful, Scotland walkover) and loser plays South Africa. Must win. A draw works for us too assuming same amount of tries due to points diff.

Assume the only change is Mitchell in for Horne. Possibly give Folau the week off depending how bad his injury is. Not sure who comes onto the bench. Possibly Speight.

Wouldn't be surprised to see McMahon make the bench over McCalman too due to Wales using Tipuric and Warburton.

Reactions: BDA

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If I know Cheika he will pick the strongest team so we can play Scotland in the quarters. But that means we may well see Beale at fullback because Folau's ankle might need more than a week's rest; Mitchell for Horne certainly; and maybe To'omua with Gits either rested or on the bench. Isn't it great that we have been able to increase the depth in the squad to such a degree that those three changes don't fill me with anxiety, I'm confident they will do the job.

Cheika won't but I am of the opinion that we could swap the front row starters and bench and rest Hooper for McMahon and not lose much either. We'd still take the Welsh down regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.