• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A; 2:45am (AEDT) Sunday 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I must commend Giteau on his performance as well, he has provided some brilliant experience and composure to the backline. The number of times he has dived on a loose ball or cleaned up a pass that was aimed at his shoe laces the past few games has been incredible.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The takeaway from tonite is no more and no less than holding outt a tier 1 team for nearly 10 minutes with 2 men warming the pine.

I have seen it at super level, cant remember it at test level.

Thats something special, it will give the team huge self belief of ability under pressure.
England did it in NZ before they won in 2003. Very impressive then, very impressive now. Still think Aus are beatable however.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
CQ-cQJPWIAAwa3t.png

Payten (rightly) says this is getting ridiculous. Adds that he's not against someone from the losing team getting it but he needs to be a standout.

His lack of composure in the last quarter was fairly outstanding :p

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Aussie really lucky in that game. How Wales didn't score once while Aus were down to 13 boggles my mind. Even the most basic move is just shoving the scrum to the blindside, having the eight man pick the ball up and you'd have at least a two,possibly three man overlap. Awful.

That said Australia's defence was spectacular. One of the best defensive shifts I've seen in some time.

Chunderstruck

Alex Ross (28)
I must commend Giteau on his performance as well, he has provided some brilliant experience and composure to the backline. The number of times he has dived on a loose ball or cleaned up a pass that was aimed at his shoe laces the past few games has been incredible.
The sight of Giteau's headgear running around the field makes me feel safe at night

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I think one of the most defining stats is that we came out of the pool of death with only 35 points (and only 2 tries) scored against us. Even NZ in the pool of laughter conceded 49.
When you look at the opposition that NZ have played against compared to to Australia this is a very telling stat. I must admit that I didn't enjoy watching this match live as much as I did the one last week (butthole pucker factor) but I have calmed down a little since the match and it is now sinking in what an amazing performance that was.

This is a VERY different Wallaby team than anything we have seen in a very long time.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Aussie really lucky in that game. How Wales didn't score once while Aus were down to 13 boggles my mind. Even the most basic move is just shoving the scrum to the blindside, having the eight man pick the ball up and you'd have at least a two,possibly three man overlap. Awful.

That said Australia's defence was spectacular. One of the best defensive shifts I've seen in some time.

You make your own luck. The game was won and lost there.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
what happens now - "B" team next or play as much with the same lineup - subject to availability?
They won't send the B team out but I think they'd see that it's a good time to let a few players get over their injuries. Expect pocock and Folau and possibly giteau to be rested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Absolutely fucking resolute would be my words.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
I think one of the most defining stats is that we came out of the pool of death with only 35 points (and only 2 tries) scored against us. Even NZ in the pool of laughter conceded 49.

So far Aus have the outstanding defence in the tournament. Their defence is so varied, they cut of overlaps superbly through the midfield which means it's so hard to make yards out wide. Kuridrani has been central to that. If you go up the middle you risk being turned over by probably the first and second best fetchers around. A kicking game won't win too much either with Izzy back there.

It'll take real tactical nous to beat this Aus side.

Status
Not open for further replies.