• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A; 2:45am (AEDT) Sunday 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just listened to the Podcast and there was some talk about our inability to take the high ball. Yes Izzy was under the cosh with his ankle and the "blockers" coming through but what about Will Genia? He has always been one of our best under the high kicks.
In one instant he decided to block for Izzy and didn't even watch the ball, which pretty much landed on him and Wales got possession. Izzy was not even close in that instant.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Just saw this:

World Rugby also said Australia forward David Pocock had received a Citing Commissioner Warning for an incident with Wales' Scott Baldwin in Saturday's Pool A decider. A warning equals a yellow card.
"A combination of three yellow cards or Citing Commissioner Warnings accumulated during the tournament will result in a hearing. Pocock is therefore free to play in Australia's quarter-final against Scotland," World Rugby said.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/rugby/wo...an-david-pocock-warned_sto4947470/story.shtml

Phew!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well, I haven't seen incident (even though according to a few idiots on here us kiwis seem to be all over it), but from comments I have read (again only on here) seems that a warning is a fair enough outcome. It means nothing as I believe that yellow cards start again in knockout stages and so basically he has been told to be careful.
Although perhaps it does relate to Wallabies getting 3 yellow cards now in that test so we may have to have a full investigation into their discipline:p

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
A little about the NZ Citing Commissioner Steve Hinds (who cited Hooper previously, and carded Pocock). I know the guy personally. He's a policeman (detective, like Shag) and former head of the NZ Police Association.

He played many games as a lock for Wellington. He was a hard and uncompromising player. Bit like the poacher turned gamekeeper. Straight up and good guy. He's done this citing job for years so knows his stuff. I'd have no problem with his decision-making.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Been thinking through the Pocock thing and what it means going forwards. Whats gonna happen when players like Pocock are being held back illegally like he was by Baldwin is that we're gonna see a rash of players doing hollywood dives to ensure that the ref spots it like they do in football. We've already seen Stuart Hogg try it on. Speaking from my own limited experience, twatting the perp was occasionally the only way of ensuring that it didn't happen again. Now I appreciate that the game has moved on and on fleld fists are out but what's the 21st century professional level solution to ensure that the ref does take note?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Sounds like a job for the Citing Guy to deal with. It falls under the definition of foul play, so is well within his remit to deal with, although when it is done in and around rucks/mauls/tackle zone it can be hard to spot.

Regulation 17 gives guidance to the Citing Guys:
http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs/0/regulation17a4_874.pdf

Law No 10.4(f) Holding, pushing or obstructing an Opponent not holding the ball except in a scrum, ruck or maul
Lower End 2 weeks, Mid Range 4 weeks, Top End 6+ weeks, Maximum Sanction 52 weeks

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Law No 10.4(f) Holding, pushing or obstructing an Opponent not holding the ball except in a scrum, ruck or maul

I guess this is where the challenge lies.

If the ruck or maul still exists, it doesn't seem to be against the laws to stop a playing from leaving it by holding onto them.

Holding a player back who is trying to extricate themselves from the ruck or maul which has just finished is illegal but it will almost certainly never be dealt with that harshly if at all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Stephen Moore striking scenario in BRU v RED a year or two back - 2013 @Suncorp IIRC.

That one was slightly different (if my memory serves me correctly) because Moore was trying to not be in the ruck (i.e. standing next to it as an active defender) whereas Quirk was in the ruck and was trying to make Moore join it (by holding onto him/pulling him into it).

It's definitely a tricky area.

Status
Not open for further replies.