• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D: Wallabies v Fiji, Sat 21st September, 2.45pm AEST, Sapporo Dome

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Pocock has been awful. I think four penalties conceded.

If his performance is classified as awful then we need a new scale with about 10 rungs below awful. He had 2 penalties conceded (pretty standard for an on the ball 7), at the time I recall one of them being very questionable. Made the highest number of tackles with 1 missed, an official turnover along with being involved with at least 2 more (one on our 5m line with fiji hot on attack). No handling errors, no turnovers conceded and no bad passes which I can recall. Carried the ball well in traffic and cleaned up a lot of other player's mistakes.

His performance was not of the calibre of the one man powerhouse he was in the 2011 & 2015 rwc but to call his performance awful is flat out incorrect.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
If his performance is classified as awful then we need a new scale with about 10 rungs below awful. He had 2 penalties conceded (pretty standard for an on the ball 7), at the time I recall one of them being very questionable. Made the highest number of tackles with 1 missed, an official turnover along with being involved with at least 2 more (one on our 5m line with fiji hot on attack). No handling errors, no turnovers conceded and no bad passes which I can recall. Carried the ball well in traffic and cleaned up a lot of other player's mistakes.

His performance was not of the calibre of the one man powerhouse he was in the 2011 & 2015 rwc but to call his performance awful is flat out incorrect.

His only stand out mistake was taking a quick lineout on our try line. Put his team under enormous pressure with that one. Otherwise

S

Show-n-go

His only stand out mistake was taking a quick lineout on our try line. Put his team under enormous pressure with that one. Otherwise

I didn’t mind that, Kerevi was silly and stepped back in instead of stepping out, if he stepped out we were away

S

Show-n-go

Hodge cited. He is to face a judiciary in the next few days

No problem, just get clips of every Farrell shoulder charge over the past year and we will see Hodge lacing up the boots next week

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
No problem, just get clips of every Farrell shoulder charge over the past year and we will see Hodge lacing up the boots next week
And then watch all the NH "minnow apologists" cry foul and get up in arms about cheating Aussies and how the system is rigged.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I didn’t mind that, Kerevi was silly and stepped back in instead of stepping out, if he stepped out we were away

True, although we don't know how far the breakout might have gone, but there was a chance. Also a big chance for Fiji. High-risk.
I think 8 times out of 10 a quick lineout on your goal line is probably not a great option. We also don't know who called for it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And then watch all the NH "minnow apologists" cry foul and get up in arms about cheating Aussies and how the system is rigged.

That'd be the UK press who were banging on about the South Pacific XV who beat Fiji, without the merest hint of self-awareness?

S

Show-n-go

True, although we don't know how far the breakout might have gone, but there was a chance. Also a big chance for Fiji. High-risk.
I think 8 times out of 10 a quick lineout on your goal line is probably not a great option. We also don't know who called for it.

Yea that’s fair, I’m just a fan of the occasional high risk high reward play. It’s what makes rugby so exciting!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
where's the offside line for a quick lineout?
Do the Fijians need to be back 10m before advancing? Cause they were about 9m less than that

Edit, going to put this q in the ref thread

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I'll have no issue with Hodge being suspended, if the judiciary are consistent and other blokes who will undoubtedly do the same thing also get binned. Farrell would be at the very top of that list. That bloke is a grub.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think this was exactly the match we needed to get the tournament underway. Fiji came out all guns blazing, hitting hard and running hard. They attacked with exuberance and defended with intent, and built up a two score advantage.

The Wallabies were able to turn things around in the second half and go on to a bonus point win. There really couldn't have been a better entry to the Cup, and so long as we have four lineout jumpers on the ground for Wales, there is every likelihood they will top the group stage.

All in all, apart from a couple of obvious weaker parts, it was a very pleasing outcome.

I would argue having players who can catch a high ball and kick is more important then another line-out jumper (although that is still important).

Almost every teir one nation so far is frequently using bombs, unfortunately we don't have the cattle in the starting xv at the moment to challenge effectively in this area.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Pocock gets (harshly) judged at times - if he is not winning 5 turnovers, well, what was he doing anyway???
He was heavily opposed in the breakdown and O'Keeffe was all over him too. He did everything else he had to do at a very high level, I thought. Like some players do - just get it done well, but not flashy. Happy to have that. Good game.

Agreed, a very solid game. And he topped the tackle count - and unlike many others was solid in contact against the big Fijians.

Although there was 'that pass' which was absolutely a brain fart.

S

Show-n-go

Fox sports Facebook page just posted a video of the ref giving a Fijian player a hi-5 after scoring against Australia, didn’t watch the video but deliciously scandalous if it’s true