• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D: Wallabies v Fiji, Sat 21st September, 2.45pm AEST, Sapporo Dome

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
I love David but for gods sake, please avoid Peceli Yato at all cost....don't be a hero, you see him coming, pass the DAMN BALL..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Kepu's selection is a bit of a head scratcher. Is TT injured? At this stage I really can't see how you could select Kepu in at 23 ahead of TT. Leaving aside the 2 or 3 poor scrums he dished up in the last game, he's shown himself to be a great impact player off the bench and is well ahead of Kepu in 2019.

I can only assume it's tactical? The most concerning thing about that selection is that it tends to indicate that Kepu will be the preferred choice against Wales also.

I would assume it comes down to scrummaging, we were dished up Samoa when the bench front row came on, one I can live with, but there was no adaption. I would assume Kepu is there for his loads of experience

And really TT has been quite like any other THP around the field this season, his "great impact" around the field was last year

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I love David but for gods sake, please avoid Peceli Yato at all cost..don't be a hero, you see him coming, pass the DAMN BALL..

Who's good to watch in the Fiji side? I have little knowledge of them, would be great to have a supporter's take on it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not an afficionado, but, 6 and 7 are basically the same but it's preferable that one is short and strong over the ball and the other is taller and strong in the line out right?

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Who's good to watch in the Fiji side? I have little knowledge of them, would be great to have a supporter's take on it.

obviously Semi Trailer but if his wing partner gets the ball .. watch out, also openside Yato and prop Ravai in the forwards, Yato is like a complete forward, can play 4-8 and inside centre lol and Ravai is a prop cum winger :D ..if Niko Matawalu comes on early, he can win the game for fiji o his own but mcee in the last few tests has always brought him late ..so yeah, this game is Y YOURS to lose australia :(

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Kepu ahead of Tupou seems eminently reasonable; the Wallabies should be trying to play a tight, set-piece oriented game and Kepu is a much better scrummager.

Uelese ahead of Fainga'a is the real head-scratcher, unless the latter is being kept in his wrapper for bigger games.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Generally the game opens up, not tightens up as fatigue sets in. Also LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can't play 8 and Dempsey can which means that Dave will need to play 8 if Isa gets injured, and we all know that isn't ideal for his skillset (even though he can do it).

This is more to do with Cheika and Co's selection policy of constantly shoving the Pooper where it doesn't fit. If you throw Dempsey instead of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), and Isi goes down, you're down to 2.5 jumpers. But, if Isi goes down, replaced by LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), you've still got 3 jumpers. Alternatively, if Pocock doesn't like the full game, we're back to 4 jumpers.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Dempsey should have started over Pocock, with the latter on the bench to come on for the reasons you mentioned above.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Kepu's selection is a bit of a head scratcher. Is TT injured? At this stage I really can't see how you could select Kepu in at 23 ahead of TT. Leaving aside the 2 or 3 poor scrums he dished up in the last game, he's shown himself to be a great impact player off the bench and is well ahead of Kepu in 2019.

I can only assume it's tactical? The most concerning thing about that selection is that it tends to indicate that Kepu will be the preferred choice against Wales also.

I actually think the scrum performed a lot better once TT came on in the last games against NZ. Which is even more head scratching.

Bobas

Darby Loudon (17)
The Uelese selection has thrown me, I thought he'd maybe play against Georgia or something and was mainly there for the exp. Could really cause some issues if Latu gets carded and he ends up injured like he has done in the last 3 years trying to get his 4 international caps and 4 starts in super rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^^
I think we will see LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) start against Wales with Poey on the bench.

I think he wants poey to get game time under his belt.

I'm really struggling to see the point of taking Petaia. Seems a big waste of a crucial outside back slot.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not an afficionado, but, 6 and 7 are basically the same but it's preferable that one is short and strong over the ball and the other is taller and strong in the line out right?

Yeh, the only thing we really lose with playing both is height and a line-out option. Pocock to play tight as he does, and Hooper to play a big looser as he can.

Will be interesting to see how our line-out goes but I don't see any concerns against Fiji in this department.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
for any aussie coaches/staff reading this forum, if you wanna beat fiji, be in our 22, take lineouts and scrums and do the rolling maul, its our Achilles heel..............p.s, but whatever you do, do NOT lose the ball or we will score 80 out.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
^^^^^
I think we will see LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) start against Wales with Poey on the bench.

I'm really struggling to see the point of taking Petaia. Seems a big waste of a crucial outside back slot.

expecting one of the wingers to be injured in this, and Jordie will be starting in the next game on wing.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^

Petaia can be injected against Georgia and Uruguay. I think these two games are acceptable to develop a player with his potential. If all goes well - he could start in the QF, or come off the bench for impact - just hope that's against France/Argentina and not England.

B

Bobby Sands

I think he's fine there isn't he? Pretty safe hands at the back of scrums and decent link man. Not a damaging runner, but he won't let anyone down. He must have played 10+ games there now for the Wallabies.

It negates his primary strengths of “breaking away” from the scrum to be dominant as first hit in defence and over the ball.

It makes him more accountable for clearing the ball and running the ball. A bad use of his skill set in my mind.