• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies v Georgia, Friday 11th October, 9.15pm ADST

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Seriously? You’re actually that naive to think they don’t practice? They may not be very good but one thing I’m certain of is they try to be their best.

To the same level of a Wilkinson or Carter who were known to stay back after practice for hours? Or even half of that effort? Doubt it. Of coarse they practice but how much extra work they put in on top of their scheduled training is an unknown.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
To the same level of a Wilkinson or Carter who were known to stay back after practice for hours? Or even half of that effort? Doubt it. Of coarse they practice but how much extra work they put in on top of their scheduled training is an unknown.
Do you know they don’t?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was a typically inept performance by these Wallabies. The only hope for next week is if we pull off a Perth like performance, which does happen every now and then.
Tactics were arrogant where conditions called for playing territory and kicking for the corners. Instead we went for an inexplicable ball in hand approach but were unable to actually keep the ball in our hands for most of the night.
Kerevi is a myth.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But it did work tonight. He consistently gave us quick ball over the gain line. It’s hardly his fault that the other players kept fucking it up in the next phase or two. And he’s demonstrated he can do it against the ABs & South Africa, so how can you say it’s not enough at this level?

And I won’t get caught up in this again, but while I accept Kerevi doesn’t have the best distribution game it’s better than TKs.

Anyway - we clearly disagree, and I’ve said my bit so I’ll leave it there.

The question should be, whats the best combination for the team? Kerevi, for all his assets, is not combining at all well with JOC (James O'Connor). In the past, he hasn't combined well with TK at 13. I know it's late in the piece, and I lay the total blame for that on Cheika, but to be facing the QF with little indication of the best backline combinations is simply astounding. Just based on the form of individual players. I would go with To'omua at 12, TK at 13 and JOC (James O'Connor) and maybe Kerevi on the bench. Bit late to be experimenting though.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
In all the glum outlook, we won with a BP and didn't play well.

We made only 46 tackles and had only one injury to a player we have cover for (potentially not in the starting 15/23). The game was won early enough so we could make changes to give players sufficient rest.

We also know that the game plan won't work in wet conditions, and hopefully the coaches realise we need to be kicking more for territory if its wet next week. Our set piece for the most part allows us to compete at a defensive line out and an opposition put in at the scrum so we shouldn't be scared at doing (good) tactical kicking for territory.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Hard to read much into that.
Can’t score tries from turnover ball when there is none because you have 80% possession.
Solid scum. Solid lineout.
I’m sure they planned not to telegraph any backline moves figuring they wouldn’t need to.
Atrocious conditions always mean a lower scoring game.
Game on. Bring on the soap dodgers.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To'omua post match stating they held things back purposely. Also stating they held onto the ball intentionally and went through phases (despite the conditions).

I think this gives some hope that the appearance of a poor game plan this match was purposeful, giving hope that next week it'll be much better.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don't give the coaching team credit for being that clever.

Well - it has been done before. Ironically by Jones in the 2003 World Cup v New Zealand where Jones prepped them for something like 12 months to play a completely different game plan for that specific game.

He did have some pretty good cattle to execute his plan though.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
To'omua post match stating they held things back purposely. Also stating they held onto the ball intentionally and went through phases (despite the conditions).

I think this gives some hope that the appearance of a poor game plan this match was purposeful, giving hope that next week it'll be much better.

Isn’t the point of keeping things a secret, to not then go out and tell everyone you’ve been keeping things secret. Anyway, just beat England, however possible. Thanks

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

Held what back, any semblance of creativity in their attack? Very clever indeed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

That was my read on the game, the were treating as a trial of certain things, hold the ball, work on exits

We are still going to get destroyed next week