• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies v Georgia, Friday 11th October, 9.15pm ADST

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Rob Simmons to reach 100 test caps when he takes the field.

Regardless of the stick he often cops on here that is a fantastic achievement and a testament to how highly he is rated by top level coaches and players. Must be doing something right.

Always strong under the set-piece. I think he's a lot better into contact then he used to be (which is was target for a lot of criticism). Work-rate is always good too. A solid option - only criticism I have of him is he still has a habit of giving away a few penalties.

But I think if Rodda is injured, Simmons is the ideal replace - would take him over Coleman.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Straya should forfeit tonight's game. So they're on an even keel rest-wise with the other mollycoddled "one rule for us and fuck Italy and Scotland" 1/8 final teams. It7s not like they need the points.

"We have decided that in order to allow ourselves the maximum opportunity to compete with England or France or NZ or Japan on a level playing field in next week's quarter finals that it is in Australian rugby's best interests to forfeit tonight's match."

Imagine if key Aus players are injured tonight and out of RWC in what is now for Aus an extra game, compared to their rivals, a match that they're required to play but that is in essence surplus to requirements.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Straya should forfeit tonight's game. So they're on an even keel rest-wise with the other mollycoddled "one rule for us and fuck Italy and Scotland" 1/8 final teams. It7s not like they need the points.

"We have decided that in order to allow ourselves the maximum opportunity to compete with England or France or NZ or Japan on a level playing field in next week's quarter finals that it is in Australian rugby's best interests to forfeit tonight's match."

Imagine if key Aus players are injured tonight and out of RWC in what is now for Aus an extra game, compared to their rivals, a match that they're required to play but that is in essence surplus to requirements.
Gives us a convenient excuse for generally being pretty garbage.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

We need the game to work out who the hell we play vs England

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have a feeling it won't make much difference, or am I being pessimistic?

England will certainly start favourites.

For the record, we are 3-3 against England at Rugby World Cups. They have beaten us twice in quarter finals though ('95 and '07).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’d imagine the selectors would be pretty clear, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are waiting to see how Dempsey, Petaia & Tupou get through the games before they finalise the selection. Dempsey & Petaia to see if they’re 100% (or close enough) and Tupou to be confident he can bring the best parts of his game and not some of his early season flaws.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they were still weighing up the 9 jersey. Whilst continuity is always a bonus, both White & Genia are capable of starting and it may end up being a final gut feeling as which is the best to run with.

B

Bobby Sands

Always strong under the set-piece. I think he's a lot better into contact then he used to be (which is was target for a lot of criticism). Work-rate is always good too. A solid option - only criticism I have of him is he still has a habit of giving away a few penalties.

But I think if Rodda is injured, Simmons is the ideal replace - would take him over Coleman.

I am not a fan of Simmonds, but there is doubt he improved when he went to the Tahs, so well done to Cron and the team with that development late in his career.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)

Always seen him as a gentle giant, he has copped a lot of criticism over the years so well done to keeping his head up and making 100. I agree he has always improved our line out when he plays.
He must be doing something right as there have been 3 different coaches since he started and he has hit 100 games at the relatively young age (for a forward) of 30.

Also don't forget the #Simmonseffect

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’d imagine the selectors would be pretty clear, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are waiting to see how Dempsey, Petaia & Tupou get through the games before they finalise the selection. Dempsey & Petaia to see if they’re 100% (or close enough) and Tupou to be confident he can bring the best parts of his game and not some of his early season flaws.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they were still weighing up the 9 jersey. Whilst continuity is always a bonus, both White & Genia are capable of starting and it may end up being a final gut feeling as which is the best to run with.

Absolutely.

1. We are surely here to play rugby, so play rugby.
2. If the selectors did not have a plan as to who they want for England we would be screaming blue murder.
3. It's a chance for some players with little recent game time to get game time.
4. A chance for continued building of combinations though admittedly not fully taken advantage of.
5. Petaia. Dempsey.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Cheika sure does love selecting on 'gut feelings'.