• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 1 WAL v RSA (Twickenham) 18th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Boks got this 10 day turnaround which is way to long for our lot. Dont expect any changes for this and will be interesting to see if Jannie & Matfield will play from the bench.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
I see. It's formality for Oz this weekend then. Staff's are our easiest shot at a win anyway so don't mind this side of the draw except the Kiwis would be straight after which is a whole different level of competition.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Two big selection questions for the Boks as I think the rest of the squad picks itself.
1 - Will Meyer break up the young lock combination that have been outstanding to bring Victor back?
2 - Has Malherbe done enough to convince Meyer that he should be starting THP?
In my mind, both Lood and Frans have done enough to keep Victor and Jannie out of the starting XV.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Two big selection questions for the Boks as I think the rest of the squad picks itself.
1 - Will Meyer break up the young lock combination that have been outstanding to bring Victor back?
2 - Has Malherbe done enough to convince Meyer that he should be starting THP?
In my mind, both Lood and Frans have done enough to keep Victor and Jannie out of the starting XV.
I agree
As much as Victor is a champion I think this WC has shown he's lost a meter or so of pace and is struggling to keep up.
Frans gives away fewer penalties so he stay's in my mind.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Gotta feel for Wales.

Liam Williams has been ruled out of the rest of the RWC due to a foot injury.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Poor sod. But gives ch chance to call up a wing/ fullback and get north back where he should be.

Where is it that you think Wales have the edge over the Boks, Cardiffblue? You've commented a few times in other threads how you're quite confident of beating the Boks. Do you think the win in Cardiff last year gives them a mental advantage?

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where is it that you think Wales have the edge over the Boks, Cardiffblue? You've commented a few times in other threads how you're quite confident of beating the Boks. Do you think the win in Cardiff last year gives them a mental advantage?
I do. I think we've got the means to repeat it provided we can find another wing and a 13 that can pass it to them. Sa forwards are awesome but the group has hardly been challenging and then there was japan

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I do. I think we've got the means to repeat it provided we can find another wing and a 13 that can pass it to them. Sa forwards are awesome but the group has hardly been challenging and then there was japan

Of the Bok team that started that Cardiff game, I think there are 5 likely to be in the starting XV this weekend. No doubt there are quite a few changes in the Welsh team is well. So hard to read too much into that result I'd say.

I don't think we're in the same place we were mentally when we lost to Japan, but perhaps you're right and we still are.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
We outmuscled the Aussie forwards but you're right South Africa look better than against Japan. Wonder why they didn't put Scotland away tho. The jocks were awful

'Outmuscled' the Aussies in the forwards, but got dominated in the scrums? The Wallabies were courageous in defence, but not at their best either. Their big game was last week. I'd also like to think that most top teams would take advantage of playing 15 on 13 for 9 minutes when hot on attack in the opposition's 22.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
'Outmuscled' the Aussies in the forwards, but got dominated in the scrums? The Wallabies were courageous in defence, but not at their best either. Their big game was last week. I'd also like to think that most top teams would take advantage of playing 15 on 13 for 9 minutes when hot on attack in the opposition's 22.
Sure. But as I wrote elsewhere by having north who can't pass at 13 we effectively were at no numerical advantage

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Sure. But as I wrote elsewhere by having north who can't pass at 13 we effectively were at no numerical advantage

To blame 9 mins of stupid rugby on one player, playing at 13, is a bit over the top. The tactics were wrong. The forwards who had 'outmuscled' the Wallabies, were unable to outmuscle 7 Wallaby forwards. But they kept trying to bash it up through the middle playing into the Wallabies' hands.

The times when the ball did make it out of the forwards I think I counted on at least two occasions where they then tried an inside ball to Jamie Roberts to try to crash it over one channel out from the previous ruck. It was dumb tactics, and not simply North's inability to pass the ball that thwarted them.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
To blame 9 mins of stupid rugby on one player, playing at 13, is a bit over the top. The tactics were wrong. The forwards who had 'outmuscled' the Wallabies, were unable to outmuscle 7 Wallaby forwards. But they kept trying to bash it up through the middle playing into the Wallabies' hands.

The times when the ball did make it out of the forwards I think I counted on at least two occasions where they then tried an inside ball to Jamie Roberts to try to crash it over one channel out from the previous ruck. It was dumb tactics, and not simply North's inability to pass the ball that thwarted them.
North ran more metres than anyone. On the other hand His number of passes equaled Samson lee. He's a great player but not at centre. The incidents for thirty minutes of second half are myriad. In retrospect it would've made more sense to take three and use the numerical advantage from further back. But that's history now. Gotta think about next week now and we re up for it

Status
Not open for further replies.