• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I thought it'd be interesting to see what everyone is thinking at this stage of the super comp.

Ok assuming you can only take 30 and there is a 16 forwards 14 backs split, who would you take?

Squad make up can include anyone who will be fit. This isn't so much on form, just what you would like to see?

Personally:

Forwards:
Props: Robinson, Slipper, Palmer, Kepu
Hookers: TPN, Moore
Second Rowers: Horwill, Sharpe, Vickerman, Simmons
Backrow: Pockock, Beau Robinson, Palu, Elsom, McCalman, Higginbotham

Backs:
Halfback: Genia, Burgess... (Phipps' is a better starting player with his good pass, superb fitness & quick clearance, but Burgess' energy off the bench makes him perfect as an impact play:
Five-Eighth: Cooper, Barnes
Inside Centre: Giteau, JOC (James O'Connor)
Outside: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne... (Not sure about Horne. I would of gone Chambers based on last yrs form. Would of liked to see more of Inman)
Wings: Ioane, Mitchell, Turner, McCabe
Fullback: Beale, Shepherd

I feel Morahan could push his way if his form continues.
Alexander would feel hard done by, but scrummaging must come first. Even tho he has put in some strong performances recently, I'm reserving judgement until he comes up against some of the stronger scrums in the comp like the Crusaders.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
McCabe has no chance of making the squad. Davies and Morahan will get a shot before him. Not sold on Shepherd either - but I'm not sure who else can come in at fullback with Hynes injured (I guess you might revisit JOC (James O'Connor) or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) there).

I agree mostly with the forwards however - I don't really see a place for Brown or Hodgson, when you got a guy like Beau Robinson providing more energy and form than them.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeah Hynes would probably be a better option. He's certainly who I would like to see, but it seems like he is really going to be struggling to stay fit.

I selected Beau Robinson for much the same reason.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm sure Deans would at least be trying to keep a spot free for Vicks, but i agree until we see him play a few games we wont know. But you have to imagine a guy of his class will push his way in.

Generally agree with your choices but...

- Kepu is not as good as Alexander, even at scrum time. And Alexander is almost unmatched in terms of his skills in open play (for a prop) so he fits Deans style of play. But agree that the stronger scrummagers should get first dibs and alexander can fight for a bench spot.

-I'd actually like to see saffy get a run off the bench in the tri-nations. test him out and see how he goes. could be a bolter.

Hynes is no longer in the fold. Davies and Morahan are an outside chance. But in terms of a back-up fullback the answer is Mark Gerrard. He offers us a different style of fullback to beale which would be useful in certain conditions.

Outside will go to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) despite his bad form, and i think his back up will be Ioane and Fainga'a.

I wouldn't rule out Mortlock and Waugh squeezing their way in. there leadership and presence allow will be good for the squad.

Finally third choice hooker/halfback ? ...I'm thinking Phipps and Fainga'a (maybe hanson?!)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCabe has no chance of making the squad. Davies and Morahan will get a shot before him. Not sold on Shepherd either - but I'm not sure who else can come in at fullback with Hynes injured (I guess you might revisit JOC (James O'Connor) or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) there).

I agree mostly with the forwards however - I don't really see a place for Brown or Hodgson, when you got a guy like Beau Robinson providing more energy and form than them.

Bollocks.

I would have McCabe over both of them.

There's already enough wingers and McCabe can cover outside centre, wing and fullback.

McCabe was one of the form Australian backs before injury, and unlike the other two has been capped by Deans.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I like the squad a lot. I would definitly change Shepherd for Gerrard tho (or even Morahan). Also I think McCabe will cover fullback (over Shepherd), he's been playing solid enough . Vickerman also is a maybe, havent seen him play yet. The squad looks very close to what I expect Deans to pick. Personally though Id chuck in a form winger instead of Turner (unless Turner steps up a level). Not that Turner is bad, just that some spark on the wings can be good, eg Davies speed.

I agree with the exclusion of Alexander, Ive never been a fan. Whats the point of a Prop whos good in the loose? I always expect my props to be first off good scrummagers, then solid in tight and I dont think Alexander is either. (however this is coming from a former back, so my apologies, my analysis of Forward play is intermediate at best).

A

Alex-A

McCabe deserves his chance, and based on his current form should get a hit out with wallabies in at least one test before the world cup for the sake of player development. Davies wont get the nod over McCabe considering the existing talent at wing. Davies is a little bit soft IMO and thats something you definately cant say about McCabe.

Kupus' game has really improved this season and offers more at scrumtime than Alexander does. I have not lost faith in Alexander and his running game is great, but Kepu is no longer just a 1 dimensional front rower. He has become more technical in his game this season and we are starting to see him pilfer and force turnovers pretty well.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was only a couple of years ago that Ben Alexander was an integral part of the scrum that destroyed all opposition in Europe.
I wouldn't write him off just yet and neither will Deans. He is an excellent bench option and with the right 2nd row he can be very effective at scrumtime.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm sure Deans would at least be trying to keep a spot free for Vicks, but i agree until we see him play a few games we wont know. But you have to imagine a guy of his class will push his way in.

Generally agree with your choices but...

- Kepu is not as good as Alexander, even at scrum time. And Alexander is almost unmatched in terms of his skills in open play (for a prop) so he fits Deans style of play. But agree that the stronger scrummagers should get first dibs and alexander can fight for a bench spot.

-I'd actually like to see saffy get a run off the bench in the tri-nations. test him out and see how he goes. could be a bolter.

Hynes is no longer in the fold. Davies and Morahan are an outside chance. But in terms of a back-up fullback the answer is Mark Gerrard. He offers us a different style of fullback to beale which would be useful in certain conditions.

Outside will go to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) despite his bad form, and i think his back up will be Ioane and Fainga'a.

I wouldn't rule out Mortlock and Waugh squeezing their way in. there leadership and presence allow will be good for the squad.

Finally third choice hooker/halfback ? ...I'm thinking Phipps and Fainga'a (maybe hanson?!)

Bullshit. Plain and simple. Kepu doesn't get penalised anywhere near as often at Alexander on either side of the scrum. This year Kepu has dominated everyone he has come up against except O. Franks and D. Palmer and has done so on both sides of the scrum. Franks won hands down but against Palmer Kepu got parity which nobody else has been able to get all year. Contrast that with Alexander who has had one good scrummaging game all year against a Hurricanes side which as I said at the time was as looslely packed as I have ever seen.

As for Aelxander being better in the loose than Kepu, that is open to debate, I would say Kepu offers just as much.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Davies wont get the nod over McCabe considering the existing talent at wing. Davies is a little bit soft IMO and thats something you definately cant say about McCabe.
Have to disagree. He's not as robustly built as McCabe but Davies puts his body on the line as much as McCabe, and does not lack for courage.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't think you can put Vickerman down with any certainty until we see him playing again.

The ARU didn't resign him to play for Uni, so if he's fit he'll be in the squad, regardless of merit.

I'd actually like to see saffy get a run off the bench in the tri-nations. test him out and see how he goes. could be a bolter.

But in terms of a back-up fullback the answer is Mark Gerrard. He offers us a different style of fullback to beale which would be useful in certain conditions.

Agree with the first part, but not the second. Assuming he's fit Shepherd's a better backup than Gerrard - he's got a comparable boot on him and while he hasn't got jetboots, he'n nowhere near as paint drying, grass growing, stuck in concrete, ponderously slow as Gerrard (or maybe I'm just still annoyed at McCaw running him down in the 2006 Brisbane Bledisloe game).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes I think your still annoyed at McCaw running him down at 2006. This year Gerrard has shown much much more then Shepherd. Shepherd hasnt done much at all whereas Gerrard is the go-to-man for the Rebels. Both on peak form and u might have an argument, but on this years form alone Gerrard should get first consideration after the incumbent 15 Beale. He might lack pace but he's got a lot of strength and smarts.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the Gerrard or McCabe agruement for 2nd/3rd choice fullback would have more merit. (assuming JOC (James O'Connor) 12/14).

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Gnostic, I recognise that Kepu has probably been scrummaging better than alexander so far in this years Super tournament, but not sure that he is better than alexander. Alexander showed himself to be a strong scrummage at test level in 2009, so he has proven that he can hit the skill level required. Compare that to Kepu who was weak in the scrum for the wallabies in 2009 and not that good for the tahs last year.

But I take your point on form alone, Kepu looks better at the moment in the scrums.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I have changed a few spots from the above post. With a massive amount of depth in the loose and my hatred for Dean Mumm who will likely be filling the Lock spot I have instead added Mowen to the backrow list as he, McCalman and Higgers can also play lock. Mortlock without injury is a cert for the 13 jumper in my eyes. I think you will see Deans revert to a midfield of Giteau and Mortlock.

Forwards:
Props: Robinson, Slipper, Alexander, Kepu
Hookers: TPN, Moore
Second Rowers: Horwill, Sharpe, Simmons
Backrow: Pockock, Beau Robinson, Palu, Elsom, Mowen, Higginbotham, McCalman

Backs:
Halfback: Genia, Burgess
Five-Eighth: Cooper, Barnes
Inside Centre: Giteau, JOC (James O'Connor)
Outside: Mortlock, A Finger
Wings: Ioane, Mitchell, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Vuna
Fullback: Beale, Gerrard

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic, I recognise that Kepu has probably been scrummaging better than alexander so far in this years Super tournament, but not sure that he is better than alexander. Alexander showed himself to be a strong scrummage at test level in 2009, so he has proven that he can hit the skill level required. Compare that to Kepu who was weak in the scrum for the wallabies in 2009 and not that good for the tahs last year.

But I take your point on form alone, Kepu looks better at the moment in the scrums.

Kepu played what? 3 Tests one of which was on the skating rink of Wembly which was directly responsible for him suffering the snapped Achilles. Kepu has never had the opportunities that Alexander has seen at test level. Simple as that. On comparable level where they have both played regularly, that of Super Level, Kepu has clearly proved a better scrummager, even though Kepu has been behind both Robsinon at LH and Baxter at TH denying him regular starts. In the Shute Shield when they have come head to head in the scrum (not positionally but as part of opposing scrums) the Randwick scrum came out on top even though Kepu was the only Super level player in the Front row for the Wicks against three for the Woodies (5 if you include reserves).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm still not going to fully discount Kimlin's chances of making the squad...

He barely played any rugby for 18 months and he appears to be slowly getting back up to speed with the Brumbies...

In 2009 he was one of the form Aussie locks in the Super 14 and was rewarded with a starting cap at 6 and a bench spot in the tests leading into the 3N...

He would've been capped more if it weren't for injury... and we're lacking any real depth at lock...

What will hurt his chances is that Vickerman is pretty much guaranteed a spot already without playing a game which is just bollocks...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At the moment my props would be - Robinson, Palmer, Slipper and Kepu... with Alexander 5th in line with the chance of taking over from Kepu if he regains his 2009 scrummaging form...

Status
Not open for further replies.