• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S14 Game day 22's 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Just looking at the Tah's thread and seeing attempts at naming a game day squad. I'd be interested to see what Punters put up as possible starting sides for all the franchises. NTA's Tah's selection is a good starting point (Agree with WJ though, Beale has to be starting):

In any case, my starting Tahs team for next year:

1 Fat Cat
2 TPN
3 Baxter
4 Caldwell
5 Mumm
6 Mowen
7 Waugh (c)
8 Palu
9 Burgess
10 Halangahu
11 Anesi
12 Barnes
13 Horne
14 Mitchell
15 Turner

16 Freier
17 Palmer (Kepu will have to prove himself as a THP)
18 Roodt
19 Coridas
20 Holmes
21 Sidey
22 Beale

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mine for the Reds:

15 Peter Hynes
14 Will Chambers
13 Digby Ioane
12 Morgan Turinui
11 Luke Morahan
10 Quade Cooper
9 Will Genia
8 Leroy Houston
7 Daniel Braid
6 Scott Higginbottham
5 James Horwill
4 Adam Byrnes
3 Laurie Weekes
2 Sean Hardman
1 Ben Daley

16 James Hanson
17 Greg Holmes
18 Ezra Taylor
19 Lei Tomeki
20 Ben Lucas
21 Anthony Fainga'a
22 Rodney Davies

I'm guessing Cooper kicks? Shees. That's a worry.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
That might be close Noddy. I'm thinking Davies at the back, Hynes to wing and Morahan on the bench.

In any case I think we will see a couple of combinations during the trials with a few guys trialled at fullback. Maybe even Lucas and Cooper, just to see what options exist?

T

TOCC

spectator said:
That might be close Noddy. I'm thinking Davies at the back, Hynes to wing and Morahan on the bench.

In any case I think we will see a couple of combinations during the trials with a few guys trialled at fullback. Maybe even Lucas and Cooper, just to see what options exist?

wow, you must see something in Davies that i dont, IMO his a one trick pony, he has tonnes of speed but thats about all he offers

15 Peter Hynes
14 Will Chambers
13 Digby Ioane
12 Anthone Fainga'a
11 Bredan Vaalu
10 Quade Cooper
9 Will Genia
8 Leroy Houston
7 Daniel Braid
6 Scott Higginbottham
5 James Horwill
4 Adam Byrnes
3 Laurie Weekes
2 Sean Hardman
1 Greg Holmes

16 Saia Fainga'a
17 Ben Daley
18 Ezra Taylor
19 Lei Tomeki
20 Ben Lucas
21 Morgan Turinui
22 Luke Morahan

Call me crazy but i really rate Anthony Fainga'a, i know he didnt show a lot this year, but i think he will complement Ioane and Cooper well, his a rock in defence and he has a good rugby brain. I also still hold faith for Vaalu, i know he is a lot better then he has been playing, and if he is fit then i think he should at least be starting just for the experience/maturity factor.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Davies does have exceptional speed but he is also quite a safe player, and was principally a fullback in his junior days. I don't know what his kicking game is like though.

I like Ant Fainga'a as well. He is an excellent defender and his club combo with Cooper might be worth something. Look for Ben Tapuai from the Academy to put pressure on the centres for a spot in the 22.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Reds:
1. Daley
2. Hardman
3. Weekes
4. Horwill
5. Humphries / Byrne (has Van retired?)
6. Higginbotham
7. Tomiki / Braid
8. Houston (if fit) / Taylor
9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Hynes
12. Chambers (think this would suit an ex-league centre more than wing)
13. Ioane
14. Moraghan
15. McLinden (is he still with the Reds?) / Davies

16. Hanson
17. Holmes
18. Taylor / Simmons
19. Braid / Tomiki
20. Lucas
21. Turinui
22. Vaalu

Tahs (I'm torn between 2 loyalties):

1. Benn
2. TPN
3. Palmer (think he will surpass Baxter this year)
4. Caldwell
5. Mumm
6. Mowen
7. Waugh
8. Palu
9. ? Burgess needs to learn to pass and Holmes needs to learn to tackle
10. Barnes (until injured) then Hangers
11. Turner
12. Beale
13. Horne
14. Mitchell
15. Anesi

16. Frier
17. Kepu / Baxter
18. Roodt
19. Coridas
20. McKibbon
21. Hangers / Carter
22. Sidey

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
what is it with the reds and early retirements? In the past couple of years they've lost Flatley, Mathison, Fetoai, McLinden and from memory Styles retired early too. Too much of that great weather and lifestyle?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
McLinden had a bulging disc in his neck and retired on the back of medical advice. His cool head and experience as a preofessional sportsman will be missed by the Reds, that's for sure.

That Tah's team looks strong, particularly in the forwards.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Seems to be a bit of consensus there that Mitchell won't get fullback.. I'm not so sure. I think he'll get it before Anesi,.. and also before Turner (not that I would agree)

Tahs forwards pretty much pick themselves.. This 10/12/11/14/15 mix is going to be interesting to watch. A lot of choice, a lot of room to fuck things up just by being indecisive again on who's doing what.

If Barnes is fit, I expect to see him in 10. Though, I wouldn't be upset if he was at 12.

10. Barnes
11. Anesi
12. Carter
13. Horne
14. Turner
15. Mitchell

21. Beale (Covering 12/14/15)
22. Hangas (Covering 10/15)
no substitute for 13... hmmm -

Is how I see rd.1 but my main bet is to see 8-10 different starting line ups over the regular season.
Here's another blind throw away... at some point in the second 40 mins of a game we're going to see a backline with barnes, hangas, beale, turner, and mitchell + Anesi. (possibly the lightest backline in waratahs history?)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Eddo, Carter at 12, God spare me! The Tahs management are trying to talk up the possibility of attractive rugby next year and you go and put Carter back where he effectively fucked the Tahs' progress into the semis last year.

Carter SHOULDN'T even be on the Tahs' bench next year, injuries notwithstanding. A very good club player, not nearly good enough for Super rugby.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
i'll just do the backlines cos thats where most of the changes/options are:
This is what i would like to see, not what i think they will pick.

Brumbies:
9: Valentine
10: To'omua
11: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12: Giteau
13: Mortlock
14: Mafi
15: Lealifano

Waratahs:
9: Burgess
10: Berrick
11: Anesi
12: Beale
13: Horne
14: Turner
15: Mitchell

Reds:
9: Genia
10: Cooper
11: Hynes
12: Turinui
13: Digby
14: Chambers
15: Morahan

I think after the tri-nations and spring tour our S14 teams look a lot stronger. Im sure that the wallabies will now be much more competitive. Especially the youngsters like cooper who have proven they are "capable" at international level and they should now shine at S14 level. I cant wait to see Genia/Pocock carve it up this season.

However i dont think the force will go too good this year but the Waratahs have a bloody strong side and the Reds plus Brumbies dont look too bad either. Im expecting a strong season from the aussie clubs. But GO THE BRUMBIES!

S

Spook

Latest odds show that the Brumbies are favoured as 5-1 to win (3rd favourite). Tahs around 10-1 (7th Favourite). I think the Tahs are underrated.

My Brumbies side (Kimlin gone for the season):

1. Sheperdson - hopefully has been practising loose head (Jerry Y and Maafu will be making him sweat)
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Harrison - he was playing very well for Bath IMO and will be motivated. Will make the Brumbies lineout a lot stronger.
5. Chisolm
6. Elsom
7. Smith
8. Hoiles - I would have played Rocky at 8, and Chapman at 6..but Hoiles is captain. ::)
9. Valentine
10. Giteau
11. Fanifo
12. To'omua
13. Mortlock
14. Mafi
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. Edmonds
17. Maafu
18. Hand/Timani (or Vanderglas)
19. Chapman
20. Phibbs
21. Lealiifano
22. T Smith

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Seb V said:
Waratahs:
9: Burgess
10: Berrick
11: Anesi
12: Beale
13: Horne
14: Turner
15: Mitchell

That would be my guess

Spook said:
Latest odds show that the Brumbies are favoured as 5-1 to win (3rd favourite). Tahs around 10-1 (7th Favourite). I think the Tahs are underrated.

My Brumbies side (Kimlin gone for the season):

1. Sheperdson - hopefully has been practising loose head (Jerry Y and Maafu will be making him sweat)
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Harrison - he was playing very well for Bath IMO and will be motivated. Will make the Brumbies lineout a lot stronger.
5. Chisolm
6. Elsom
7. Smith
8. Hoiles - I would have played Rocky at 8, and Chapman at 6..but Hoiles is captain. ::)
9. Valentine
10. Giteau
11. Fanifo
12. To'omua
13. Mortlock
14. Mafi

16. Edmonds
17. Maafu
18. Hand/Timani (or Vanderglas)
19. Chapman
20. Phibbs
21. Lealiifano
22. T Smith

1. Jerry Y
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Hand
5. Chisolm
6. Chapman
7. Smith
8. Elsom
9. Valentine
10. To'omua
11. Fanifo
12. Giteau
13. Mortlock
14. Mafi The Brumbies need to find a "worker" 14/2nd fullback.

16. Edmonds
17. Maafu
18. Timani
19. Vanderglas
20. Phibbs
21. Lealiifano
22. T Smith

Harrison will have to do a Lazarus to make the starting side IMHO. Too old & too slow & a clear backward step. (like the Tahs starting Fava).

The Brumbies are one winger short IMHO, both the likely wingers have won't give AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) much back up

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'll have a go at the Force for the sake of argument.

15 Cameron Shepherd
14 Dane Haylett-Petty
13 Ryan Cross
12 James O'Connor
11 Nick Cummins
10 Andre Pretorius
9 Brett Sheehan
8 Richard Brown
7 David Pocock
6 Matt Hodgson
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Tom Hockings
3 Matt Dunning
2 Ben Whittaker
1 Pek Cowan

16 Tim Fairbrother
17 Nick Henderson
18 Sam Wykes
19 Richard Stanford
20 Chris O'Young
21 Mark Bartholomeusz
22 Haig Sare

Cowan back up hooker I guess. perhaps Henderson too.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
For the Force, I'd go with:
1. Dunning
2. Cowan
3. Fairbrother

16. Whittaker
17. Henderson

Honestly, Cowan is not in the same league as Dunning or Fairbrother, despite being picked in the Wallabies - unless Noriega worked some magic with him during Wallaby training. Whittaker also showed last year than he has potential, but is not quite ready for the step up. If Luke Holmes is still around there, he might also get some more game time, but showed that he also was not up to S14 starting standard.

Regarding the Tahs, I do not understand the man love for Turner at fullback. Turner has failed at fullback every game he's played there, yet is outstanding at winger in the S14. Why the insistence on changing him when there are other better fullback candidates? And I include Mitchell there - at the S14 level he has some failings at fullback, but has done a lot better than Turner and is probably a slightly more all round player. Beale or Hangers would probably more all round fullbacks then either Turner or Mitchell, but you lose the explosive speed.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree with Ash - Mitchell, or Beale (who seems reasonably quick) at 15. Keep Turner and his speed on the wing.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Noddy, that Force squad looks like a pretty good team, I don't know why others are so quick to write them off.

Turner at 15? Not nearly a good enough kicker. If he can fix that he has the potential to be a very good fullback.

red army

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey guys just another die hard reds supporter still unsure what next year hold for the beloved red army but I hope the reds 22 looks like this:

1. Holmes
2. Hardman
3. Weekes
4. Humphries
5. Horwill
6. Higgers
7. Braid
8. Houston
9. Genia
10.Cooper (pray to god hes still around)
11.Hynes
12.Turinui
13.Ioane
14.Chambers
15.Toua

16.S.Faainga
17.Daley
18.Simmons
19.Taylor
20.Lucas
21.A.Faainga
22.Morahan

Turinui at 12 will provide that assurance and experience for a young backline. Expecting a big year from him and heard he's been training well. Will be invaluable if cooper is gone.

My real bolter this year is Toua and I really hope link gives him an oppurtunity in the trials. Not sure why he was dropped from the top squad. Saw this kid in '08 against the Auckland Npc team and he carved them up and didn't do a bad job against the baa baas later on that year. Was waiting to see him in '09 but now with Mclinden out really opens up the door for him and a few other young blokes i.e Morahan and Davies. Will have to improve on his consistency though cause he's a bit hot and cold but could be a real bolter to start this year.

Also like the look of young hanson. Got the skills of a back and hard as nails. Has to get his throwing right though. Will push Faainga all the way this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.