• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S18 on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Obviously this bid must have wealthy backers behind it but like anything, it will be some sort of corporate entity and there's no way the backers would give personal guarantees.

There's no way you can stop them cutting their losses and walking away if they decide to after a few years.

The consortium is very powerful, google "Singapore Sports Hub Consortium", it looks pretty obvious to me that the Singapore Government is behind this, and they have very deep pockets, and a lot of patience.

I doubt that they would ever walk away, if they won the bid (which I hope they don't, by the way).

T

TOCC

Its another tourism vehicle and way to boost exposure of Singapore to other international markets, its a pretty smart investment if they can get it for the right cost. No doubt the government would be supporting it through the Sports body but Singapore government entities aren't known for frivolous expenditure so i question whether the $millions required in financial support will still be forthcoming in 2 or 3 years time if the team hasn't generated the returns they hoped for.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The consortium is very powerful, google "Singapore Sports Hub Consortium", it looks pretty obvious to me that the Singapore Government is behind this, and they have very deep pockets, and a lot of patience.

I doubt that they would ever walk away, if they won the bid (which I hope they don't, by the way).

If there was that level of backing guaranteed for the long term then I wouldn't mind a Singapore team in the future. I could see an Asian conference one day with say 2 or 3 teams in Japan and 1 each in Singapore and Hong Kong. Maybe Seoul.

But at this stage, if they're adding 1 Asian team it'll be ridiculous if they choose Singapore.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Its another tourism vehicle and way to boost exposure of Singapore to other international markets, its a pretty smart investment if they can get it for the right cost. No doubt the government would be supporting it through the Sports body but Singapore government entities aren't known for frivolous expenditure so i question whether the $millions required in financial support will still be forthcoming in 2 or 3 years time if the team hasn't generated the returns they hoped for.

This looks to me like a matter of national prestige, which would trump relatively minor fiscal considerations. After all, the money that has been sunk into the stadium would pay for a Soup franchise for a very long time.

Singapore has very few, if any, national symbols. This stadium is called the "National Stadium", which says to me that very highly placed people think it would be a good idea to attract some world-class sport to the venue.

Money will not be an object, if national prestige is at stake. And, given that this is a world-class climate-controlled stadium, and it has obviously been built for a reason, it looks to me as though national prestige will indeed overrule all other factors.

Somebody in a very senior position has signed off on this hugely expensive stadium upgrade. That person, or persons, will spend whatever it takes to stop it becoming a classic white elephant, IMHO.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Money will not be an object, if national prestige is at stake. And, given that this is a world-class climate-controlled stadium, and it has obviously been built for a reason, it looks to me as though national prestige will indeed overrule all other factors.

Do you think the same national prestige would be enough to get any locals to support a team? Would the government promote it?

Would locals see it as a loss of face if a Singapore team, in a global competition was a flop with no support?

Because what national prestige would there be if the team was invisible in the Singapore market and no one watched them?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Doesn't the Singapore Pension Fund own about half of Queensland?

They tend to get what they want in Singapore.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Aus/NZ just need to get out of the way and support the 3 x 6 model. While it gives the SA teams a travel advantage, the current model damages the credibility of the whole competitions with its unwieldiness.

Plus, I'm keen to go to Japan and the Force game there would be a great excuse to do it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
New Zealand just agreed with whatever South Africa wanted because it meant more money.

I think South Africa probably needs to fuck off.

Get this NRC thing going, get Japanese interest in Super Rugby, and in a few years we'll be stable enough to run a comp in a decent time zone with us, the Kiwis, and a few of the Islander chappies thrown in.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Steve Tew not impressed with the Japanese & Singaporean S18 bids:

"The NZRU has labelled the initial proposals from the two future Super Rugby teams as less than satisfactory.

"Japan and Singapore have tabled their bids to SANZAR to be included in the 18 team competition from 2016.

"NZRU CEO Steve Tew says they will be doing site visits over the coming weeks to ask tough questions.

"He says they're in no position to say yes to either of them and work needs to be done."

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Aus/NZ just need to get out of the way and support the 3 x 6 model. While it gives the SA teams a travel advantage, the current model damages the credibility of the whole competitions with its unwieldiness.

Plus, I'm keen to go to Japan and the Force game there would be a great excuse to do it.

For me it doesn't have to be the Force but I'd like the same excuse to travel there. I call it RRT = Rugby Related Travel. Always a top priority.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Steve Tew not impressed with the Japanese & Singaporean S18 bids:

"The NZRU has labelled the initial proposals from the two future Super Rugby teams as less than satisfactory.

"Japan and Singapore have tabled their bids to SANZAR to be included in the 18 team competition from 2016.

"NZRU CEO Steve Tew says they will be doing site visits over the coming weeks to ask tough questions.

"He says they're in no position to say yes to either of them and work needs to be done."

Engage the Junket Drive.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Australian is reporting that Singapore are the favourites for the 18th team.

SINGAPORE has emerged as the favourite to secure the 18th Super Rugby franchise when the southern hemisphere competition expands into Asia in 2016.

It is understood New Zealand and South Africa are supporting Singapore’s bid, with Australia favouring Japan.

Japan was always seen as the logical location for Super Rugby expansion into Asia. The leading rugby nation in the region, Japan has a professional competition and will host the 2019 World Cup.

But New Zealand and South Africa are believed to have been won over by Singapore’s geographic position, the bid’s strong financial backing and a brand new 55,000-seat stadium in the city-state.

There are also concerns over how much support Japan’s bid will receive from the country’s powerful clubs, which are owned by corporations.

Initially, Australia was believed to be supporting Japan’s bid, but the ARU says it is yet to make a decision.

“The ARU hasn’t made a decision on which bid they are supporting,” said ARU official Andrew Fagan, who was part of a SANZAR delegation which has just completed a fact-finding mission to Japan and Singapore.

“Both Singapore and Japan were asked to submit full tenders. We received those tenders a couple of weeks ago.

“This visit was to interrogate those tenders more thoroughly. My job with my SANZAR colleagues is to report back to the SANZAR board and report back to the ARU board.”

Fagan said there were similarities and differences between the two Asian bids, but they were both compelling.

“It was an important fact-finding mission,” Fagan said.

“The purpose was to interrogate those bids and assess their rugby readiness, their commercial viability and what they might add to SANZAR as a whole.

“They both can be ready for 2016. Both with a bit of work to do, but that was the purpose of the visit to assess how far they can progress in the next 18 months or so in order to be ready for the 2016 season.

“And to work through as number of logistic issues as well, travel and how they would work their way into the conferences etc. Inspect the facilities, hotels, training facilities, venues and all that.”

Fagan said SANZAR could not go wrong with either Singapore or Japan.

“The bids are quite different from one another, but both are interesting and both would add tremendous value to SANZAR,” Fagan said.

“Both have their strengths. Some of those strengths are common to both of them and some of them have their points of difference when compared to the other, but I don’t think we can make a bad decision.

“Both present quite compelling arguments. It’s about making the right decision for the Super Rugby competition.”

SANZAR is expected to make a decision on the successful bid next month.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y-18th-franchise/story-e6frg7o6-1227043089398

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Going to Singapore first would be such a big risk IMO. A team of expats in a market with non-existent local interest. And it's not like the potential reward is greater either. Japan is a much bigger market.

Status
Not open for further replies.