• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S18 on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
+1, WCR. I wonder if the rulemakers considered also stopping the clock for kicks at goal.

Reactions: BDA

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Tuesday 2 February 2016

REFEREES AND LAW VARIATIONS REVEALED AS SUPER RUGBY PREPARES FOR KICK-OFF

• 2016 Super Rugby referees announced with nine first-time members of the squad including Federico Anselmi (Argentina) and Shuhei Kubo (Japan);
  • Try-scoring bonus point criteria changed to encourage more competitive rugby for the full 80 minutes;
  • Teams may now opt for lineout after time has expired;
  • TMO protocols to remain the same;
  • Organisation name changed to SANZAAR to reflect Argentina in the joint venture
SANZAAR CEO Andy Marinos today confirmed that the Super Rugby referees, under the guidance of Game Manager Lyndon Bray, gathered in Sydney for their annual training camp while the Executive Committee had approved a series of law variations as the countdown continues to kick-off on February 27.

"The 2016 referee squad contains 22 members, of which nine are in line to make their first appearance at this level, including Federico Anselmi and Shuhei Kubo of Argentina and Japan respectively," said Marinos.

The group met at the International College of Management in Manly for a five-day camp that included rigorous physical training, refinement of mental skills and a comprehensive briefing around a number of variations that are set to be introduced for the 2016 season.

"It was an interesting day of events," said Marinos who attended a full day session with the referees along with SANZAAR's Head of Operations, Brendan Morris.

"It was important for me to meet with the men who play a big role in the product that Super Rugby is and to share with them the business and rugby imperatives that we have."

TARqJb1aLm1yCG6hgCOWrZyrmY0SEUgF9i6g7w2sgfJaptpSwoSOYrh7hU1HO4hOCGxo2vDCR8XfCC_XvdjIIzTXyg2U_hebixo_eBVZnrP-NB1Ol6x6zOzwcD0zd2WIu98do2EwfatgzmuK_WienrOCzQSXeKK8D_LG-Fc=s0-d-e1-ft

Law variations and game innovations for 2016 will include:
  • Four-try bonus point to be replaced by a bonus point that is awarded for finishing three or more tries ahead of your opponent (bonus point for losing by 7 or fewer points remains unchanged) and;
  • Penalty options after time has expired to now include playing a lineout.
"These law amendments, while subtle in nature, will help Super Rugby's continuing evolution as the best provincial competition in the world," Marinos added.

"The change to the bonus point, which has been widely discussed throughout the past week as one potential innovation, has now been formally approved by the ExCo for the 2016 season.

"By implementing this change, we expect to see more attacking and competitive rugby as teams will be asked to keep their foot down for the full 80 in order to claim the try-scoring bonus point, which we have seen used to great effect in France over the past few years.

"In addition to this, permitting teams to opt for a lineout after time has expired serves to disincentive opponents from infringing and aims to reward sides that are particularly strong set-piece exponents which, when coupled with the previously mentioned changes, encourages more attacking and competitive rugby."

These law variations and game innovations were tabled in October 2015 for SANZAAR's National Unions to consult with and brief their franchises.

"It has not gone unnoticed the number of key stakeholders that have felt the need to publicly criticise SANZAAR for initiatives that were floated months ago and heavily canvassed throughout each National Union," Marinos added.

"We would never impose such fundamental changes to Super Rugby without proper consultation with stakeholders but will nevertheless continue to engage our member unions and franchises and work with all teams to continue striving for Super Rugby's ongoing improvement."

"It was also considered whether to adopt pre-2013 television match official protocol whereby the TMO could only rule on try scoring, in-goal and foul play, however following consultation with World Rugby, where we were informed they would be conducting a TMO review this year, we have decided to retain 'status quo' for 2016 and will participate fully with the review in an effort to ensure that this area of the game gets the focus and attention it deserves."

Also emanating from the recent ExCo meeting was the decision to refer to the organisation as SANZAAR (previously SANZAR) to formally recognise Argentina's participation in the joint venture.

"Their top-four finish at the Rugby World Cup and now full participation in Super Rugby adds further strength and prestige to the existing competition structures. As the top four international teams from RWC 2015 look to further grow and establish Southern Hemisphere as a dominant force in world rugby, we are all very excited to see what lies in store in the coming year," Marinos concluded.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure how I feel about the new bonus point system, but I'm happy to see how things play out.

Also I noticed that the official Super rugby site is still branded "Super XV". Those site editors are really on the ball.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Also, is there a specific thread dedicated to the Aussie Super teams (collectively) or should I just plonk this comment here. I'm interested to read people's thoughts on how each of the Aussie squads are shaping up.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Can you only kick for touch after the siren once? If the team without the ball infringed again would you get the option for another kick for touch?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If it was only once, wouldn't that encourage the offending team to reoffend at the subsequent lineout, confident that their opposition couldn't advance another 40 metres down field, with another attacking lineout to restart play?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Nothing to stop the non-offending team receiving a penalty, or penalties, after time's up. It'd be smart to always have a bloke with a big boot on the paddock at the 80min mark to ensure the lineout emanating from the first penalty ends up in goal-kicking range. But I wouldn't like to see endless penalties+lineouts after 80 minutes.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<sidetrack>
^^^ I think I've seen a law interpretation for this year that the initial ball carrier can not move backwards in a maul, although the ball may still be smuggled rearwards.
</sidetrack>

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Nothing to stop the non-offending team receiving a penalty, or penalties, after time's up. It'd be smart to always have a bloke with a big boot on the paddock at the 80min mark to ensure the lineout emanating from the first penalty ends up in goal-kicking range. But I wouldn't like to see endless penalties+lineouts after 80 minutes.

I think that's more the intent. Having the option of setting up an attacking lineout after the siren would be appealing and from there I guess you'd have the option of kicking it or such if the opposing team offended. The potential unforeseen consequence for the offending team could be given that it will essentially be played out after the siren if they were to infringe the ref could look upon it as cynical as a means of ending play and punish the player and team by producing a yellow card.

T

TOCC

As it stands, after 80mins defending teams teams are happy to offend and be penalised as long as it's in the oppositions half, knowing that it's out of kicking range and that the teams only penalty option would be to take a quick tap.

This now changes that, it gives the teams the ability to advance the ball into the attacking half, which means teams are in kickable range or try scoring range.

Ultimately it should reduce cynical fouls in the attacking teams own half.

This rule plus the new 60sec shot clock will mean that kicks of over 40m will become less frequent for match winners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BDA

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
As it stands, after 80mins defending teams teams are happy to offend and be penalised as long as it's in the oppositions half, knowing that it's out of kicking range and that the teams only penalty option would be to take a quick tap.

This now changes that, it gives the teams the ability to advance the ball into the attacking half, which means teams are in kickable range or try scoring range.

Ultimately it should reduce cynical fouls in the attacking teams own half.

This rule plus the new 60sec shot clock will mean that kicks of over 40m will become less frequent for match winners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some may lament these variations as a means of eliminating a valuable skill from the game but as above all too often particularly long range shots at goal are used to waste time. Which is frustrating to watch as a spectator.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with all the new variations and think they'll result in more actual Rugby being played. What I find most interesting is it appears that the variations trialled in both the NRC and Varsity Cup appear to be steadily implemented. Which is great as for some time if you asked me how far along Rugby was toward being the game it could be I'd say it was aroumd 90% there. It just needed a little tweaking to encourage teams to really open uo and push the play. These variations will help that a good deal.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder whether the shot clock for kicking a penalty goal will start from when the penalty is awarded or when the choice is made to kick for goal?

The few seconds difference could be quite meaningful in terms of giving the goal kicker the optimal amount of time to take their kick.

I also wonder whether it will be a strict time limit or whether the kicker will just be given a hurry along when their time limit is running low. Considering that it currently isn't a strict time limit I'd be surprised if it became a shot clock type system where you lost your attempt if you didn't take it in time.

I'd still go down the route of stopping the clock for conversions and shots at goal rather than trying to hurry them up.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes in the Top 14 which has a shot clock it's when the ref signals to the posts.

What happens when the ball falls off the tee?

I too would just stop the clock, makes so much more sense..

Status
Not open for further replies.