• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SA Schoolboy Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thought I'll give you a bit of info or feed back regarding our schoolboy rugby. Always good to see the way others do things, so feel free to ask or to give opinion exct.

SA strength in rugby has always been our schoolboy rugby structure. We do have the rugby pedigree and it started within the schools. Thats where the rugby vibe started and all Saffers passion for the game origin from here. We all play the game or try to play it in school.

Our top rugby schools have a very strong rugby history and tradition. If you want your kid to play the game , you have to put him in this kind of schools. Myself is sure that my smallest kid wouldnt have played the game if I hadnt put him in KleinGim. He is a small kid for his age and when all his class friends plays rugby, sure he will. At KleinGim if you dont play rugby, you'r out sort of thing.

Rugby at our top schools is not the amateur kind of sport like we use to have in the old days. You have to appoint a sport or rugby organiser to get it right. They organise the matches, prepare the fields and their main job is to organise the coaches. A top rugby one like Paarl Gykm have a very strong parent and old Boys backup as coaches. Myself was surprise to see my oldest son getting paid R1000 per month coaching the U14 hockey boys.

Jake White started this and in SA coaching the top schools is the perfect platform to launch a coaching career these days. Snor went the same route and sure many will follow. Just look at the top schools coaches these days or coaches involve
Hilton College: Balie Swart, will co ordinate the souties. As a Gimmie boy he'll help the souties teaching them Gimmie Guts and coach the first XV. Balie is also co coach at the Sharks and the only person winning a World Cup as player in 1995 and co coach in 2007.
Grey College: Barend Pieterse will start his coaching career here and will join Dougie Heymans.
Paarl Gym: The head coach is Nico Momsen. Unfortanetly he has been just diagnose with blood cancer and myself wont know how long he will keep on. Louis Koen will help the backline and do kick coaching and Mark Matzopoulos, a new addition to the set-up, will focus on the skills department having learnt his trade at IRANZ (the New Zealand rugby academy).
Paul Roos: Dawie Snyman son will be head coach and Hempies du Toit will teach them to scrum.
Glenwood: They won the international tournament in Japan in 2008. John Allen is involved here as a co coach.
Bishops: Nick Mallets broer coach them, Nick will help him once the 6 Nations ended. Nick son play for their first XV last year and Tim Lane son will play this year for their first XV. Surely Lane will also help here.
Rondebosch: Robbie Kempson will coach their first XV.
Sacs: Surely Percy Montgomerie will be involve with them.

The SA Top 20 ranking ended in 2008
1. Paarl Gim, Grey College of Bloemfontein
3. Grey High of Port Elizabeth
4. Glenwood
5. Outeniqua
6. Michaelhouse
7. Waterkloof
8. Dr EG Jansen
9. Paul Roos
10. Affies
11. Paarl Boys' High,
12. Framesby
13. Bishops
14. Selborne
15. Voortrekker (Bethlehem)
16. Voortrekker (Bethlehem)
17. HTS Middelburg
18. Pretoria Boys High
19. KES
20. Monument

Schools which were also on the Top 20 are: Afrikaanse Ho?rskool Kroonstad, Boland Landbou, Dani?l Pienaar,
Die Brandwag, Eldoraigne, Florida, Hugenote of Wellington, Marlow, Noord-Kaap, Oakdale and Schoonspruit of Malmesbury

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Last week when the kid packed his cricket kit away and start looking for his hockey and rugby gear I knew this is school rugby again. They start practising on monday and a five day per week routine for them. Mondays & wednesdays hockey and teusdays and thursdays rugby. Playing most of their hockey matches on fridays and saturdays rugby , so a busy time for myself and the family.

Our schoolboy rugby will kick start as from this weekend. Some usual big Easter Tournaments over the schools holidays and then its full force. Most SA schools have their rugby calendar all worked out a year in advange and the big ones will travel all over the country on weekends. When a school like Affies travel to Paarl it means 20 rugby teams and 7 hockey teams on the train or by bus 12,000kms return travel.

Paarl Gyms x head master , now that he have enough time played father of a brand new rugby competion in SA. Its never been done before to get the top 16 together in one competition by he got this one rolling from this year by the help of the sponsorship of Wilde Klawer. The same people that sponsor Griekwas in SA. So the top schoolboy rugby right here on my doorstep
Griekwas Site
The name Wildeklawer is synonymous with onions and potatoes, with Louis de Kock voted farmer of the year 2006. But Wildeklawer also sponsored Griqua rugby for a number of years and since their termination of this sponsorship, Wildeklawer?s latest project is a three year sponsorship called Wildeklawer Superschools Invitational 2009, involving 14 rugby playing super schools from all over the country. This breaking news was announced last night on Boots and All on M-Net by Louis de Kock of Wildeklawer.
The idea is to pitt strength versus strength in the top playing rugby schools in the country and this idea actually stemmed from Baasjan Reyners, a former headmaster of Paarl Gymnasium. Schools that do not perform well will fall out of the competition.
The school that will be initially involved are: Paarl Gymnasium, Monument High, Afrikaans Hoer Seuns Skool, Waterkloof, EG Jansen High, Technical High School Middleburg, Hoerlandbou Boland, Paul Roos Gymnasium, Framesby High School, Outeniqua High, Diamantveld High, Paarl Boys High, Grey College and Westwood. This kicks off at Paarl Gymnasium from April 24-27.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lots of easter weekend schoolboy rugby in SA. Maybe we'll see abit on TV.

Jake White coming from coaching schoolboy rugby ranks about schoolboy rugby and coaching in SA

Rugby365
Jake White goes back to school

World Cup-winning coach and former schoolmaster Jake White, in launching his satellite-coaching academy on Wednesday, said recognition of the value of the schools coach was long overdue in South Africa.

White has assembled the core of his 2007 Springbok World Cup management team, in bringing South African schools and club coaches the finest possible tuition in June.

"I was a schoolmaster and I coached against some brilliant schools coaches who, if given the right exposure and opportunities, could well have a professional career in coaching.

"This course is the first step to giving them an opportunity to learn but to also show off their talent, but more than that it will add a further dimension to schools rugby overall and entrench South Africa as the best schoolboy rugby nation.

"We have fantastic schools players, but we also have very talented schools coaches", said White.

The academy won't be limited to schools coaches, and White has also expressed the hope that club coaches and even those linked to professional teams see the value of tutorship from those who made South Africa's win at the 2007 World Cup possible.

"You only have to go to the schools rugby festivals that are on this week to appreciate how healthy the schoolboy game is, but speaking from my own experience as a rugby schoolmaster, the opportunities to improve oneself as a coach haven't always been there.

"I keep on hearing we don't have the intellectual capital in this country, but that's crazy when you see what we have achieved at all levels of our rugby".

Former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones, who assisted White's Springboks at the 2007 World Cup, has also aligned himself with the academy.
"Any opportunity to work with Eddie is a bonus and he brings special qualities to the academy. He loved working with the Springboks and he loves the passion there is for rugby in our country", said White.

Myself have listened to Jake at Paarl Gym when he still was Bok coach, telling the audience that if he had to buy himself a rugby country, it will be SA due to our good weather and the platform talent at schoolboy level.

Good to see him giving back to where it all started for him.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA Top 20 Schools per Rugby365

FNB Top 20 - 29 April 2009

1. Grey College
2. Paarl Boys' High
3. Affies
4. KES
5. Waterkloof
6. Paul Roos
7. Outeniqua
8. Bishops
9. Marlow
10. Monument
11. Grey High
12. Queen's
13. Paarl Gim
14. Glenwood
15. Selborne
16. Rustenburg
17. Centurion
18. Michaelhouse
19. Framesby
20. Die Brandwag, Oakdale, St Andrew's

There are many other schools which evoke interest, including AHS Kroonstad, Boland Landbou, Dani?l Pienaar, Diamantveld, Dr EG Jansen, Duineveld, Eldoraigne, Florida, Hilton, Kemptonpark, Landboudal of Jankempdorp, Maritzburg College, Noord-Kaap. Wilgerivier, and Wynberg.

New names in this group are Boland Landbou, Diamantveld, Duineveld and Wynberg.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Right time to update this one. Our schoolboy season now starting to slow down for the June/July holiday break. This is Craven Week time and a few other national week tournaments during the holiday break. The Craven Week sides have been pick and I'll give you a in look in these to see wher the top current school talent are in SA.

The school my kid attend Paarl Gym struggling this year. They lost 7 players due to injuries and our year highlight is our yearly interschools vs Paarl Boishaai in the first weekend of August. At the moment Boishaai sure look like the favourates but the Old Boys will tell you, that wont count

This weekend results
Eastern Cape

Bergsig vs PJ Olivier, 19-17
Die Brandwag vs Otto du Plessis, 31-10
Framesby vs Daniël Pienaar, 32-18
Marlow vs Adelaide Gim, 68-10
St Andrew's vs Queen's, 50-10

Free State/Griquas

Sasolburg Hoërskool vs Afrikaans Hoer Sasolburg, 24-14
Voortrekker vs Witteberg, 46-14

KwaZulu Natal

Amanzimtoti vs Scottburgh, 24-15
Glenwood vs Maritzburg College, 23-11
Grosvenor vs Durban North College, 22-5
Hilton vs St Alban's, 42-6
Kearsney vs Northwood, 24-6
Kingsway vs Port Shepstone, 23-22
Kloof vs New Forest, 18-14
St Charles vs Clifton, 27-0
Wartburg Kirchdorff vs Ixopo, 25-0
Westville vs DHS, 22-3

Northvaal

Ben Vorster vs Merensky, 23-19
Birchleigh vs Delmas, 38-19
Brandwag vs Die Anker, 36-5
Dinamika vs Bastion, 28-3
Dr Malan vs Hoërskool Vereeniging, 63-6
Hans Moore vs Elspark, 64-3
Heidelberg Volkskool vs Hugenote, 24-17
Helpmekaar vs Alberton, 75-3
Jan Viljoen vs Roodepoort, 27-11
Monument vs Marais Viljoen, 64-20
Pretoria Boys High vs KES, 13-11
St Stithians vs St John's, 27-16
Stoffberg vs Johan Jurgens, 18-11
Wesvalia vs HTS Klerksdorp, 61-3

Western Cape

Boland Landbou vs Drostdy, 27-14
De Kuilen vs DF Malan, 17-0
Durbanville vs HTS Bellville, 32-27
Excelsior vs Collegians RFC, 36-10
Goudini vs Tulbagh, 12-8
Hamiltons RFC vs Bergvliet, 12-7
Hugenote vs Schoonspruit, 33-3
Kasselsvlei vs Fish Hoek, 24-15
Langenhoven Gim vs George Schools, 37-0
Milnerton vs Jan van Riebeeck, 13-7
Monumentpark vs Strand, 20-11
Oakdale vs Brackenfell, 38-17
Outeniqua vs Paarl Gim, 18-15
Paarl Boys' High vs Bishops, 31-12
Parel Vallei vs Hottentots Holland, 34-5
Paul Roos vs SACS, 12-8
Rangers-Silvertree RFC vs Elsiesrivier Schools, 19-10
Scottsdene vs Hamlets RFC, 13-13
Stellenberg vs New Orleans, 29-12
Tygerberg vs Bellville, 13-3
Vredendal vs Charlie Hofmeyr, 23-15
Wynberg vs Rondebosch, 13-0

(Highlighted our Big Four)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
FNB Top 20 - 9 June 2009

1. Grey College (Cheetahs)
2. Affies (Brutes)
3. Marlow (Southern Kings)
4. Paarl Boys' High (Stormers)
5. Paul Roos (Stormers)
6. KES (Lions)
7. Waterkloof (Brutes)
8. Outeniqua (Southern Kings)
9. Monument (Lions)
10. Glenwood (Sharks)
11. Bishops (Stormers)
12. Grey High (Southern Kings)
13. Selborne (Southern Kings)
14. Die Brandwag (Southern Kings)
15. Wynberg (Stormers)
16. Westville (Sharks)
17. St Andrew's (Cheetahs)
18. Rustenburg (Leopards)
19. Boland Landbou (Stormers)
20. AHS Kroonstad (Griffins), Framesby (Southern Kings), Michaelhouse (Sharks), Noord-Kaap (Griekwas), Paarl Gim (Stormers)

Those knocking on the door include Centurion, Diamantveld, Dr EG Jansen, Drostdy, Goudveld, Klerksdorp, Landboudal of Jacobsdal

Jessie our lot has fallen from 1 to 20. Time to hit back!

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hey,

Nice work on the updates.

My old man was a michaelhouse boy. He wanted me to go do post matric there.. not likely.

Anyway, I notcied they went from 6.. to 18.. to off the list as I scrolled down the page.

Thats a pretty dramatic fall for one year isn't it ??

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yep its pretty difficult at the start to see who fits in where but as the season go along they get a pretty decent idea where the best ones are. This rating is being done by Rugby365 ghoeroe Paul Dobson. Hey and welcome aboard and I'll remember to put up some Michaelhouse stuff if I find something.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Much appreciated.

While you are doing it maybe you should suggest to the QRU who they should be trying to poach straight out of school. Wouldn't really be a new thing I guess as both Aus and NZ have quite a list of ex SA School/U/21 players.

The Bone, Vickerman, Rawlinson,... Kepler Wessels.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oh well you had Ruaan Smith and he came back. I know the kid well and just maybe he'll end up back in Australia. If you want to poach schoolboy kids in SA, go for those just outside of Craven Week, they'll go for free.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Saru identify their top talent from U16 level. This week they had their group together and let some top coaches work with them. They will break up in two teams that will play a curton raisor for the WP Boland match on saturday.

One of the biggest accolades I can give Snor is that he have a good eye for young and new talent and will travel all over SA to get them.

Rugby365
Bok coach stirs SA's teen talent
Springbok coach Peter de Villiers encouraged the 50 players attending the inaugural National Under-16 High Performance Camp in Cape Town this week to believe in their natural rugby talent in their quest to one day represent their country at international level.

The Bok coach attended the official opening of the week long camp which takes place at the SACS High School in Newlands. All 50 players were selected following their performances at the Coca-Cola Under-16 Grant Khomo Week which was held in Riversdale earlier this year.

"We as South Africans need to be leaders in what we do and how we do things," said De Villiers.

"It’s great that Under-16 and Under-18 programmes have been developed and I salute everyone who has been involved in putting these projects together.

"I am also encouraged that the players will be receiving some of the best rugby knowledge by some of our country’s most passionate rugby coaches.

"So hopefully it will be from here where some of these players' career could take off and greater things could happen to players who have the belief and faith in their natural ability and believe in his god-given talent.

"It is here where the national selectors will start identifying our young talent and hopefully look after them through their junior development and eventually into professional rugby."

The 50 players will spend the week involved in positional specific training under the guidance of former Springbok players.

Coaches attending the camp include Bobby Skinstad, Chester Williams, Deon Kayser, Owen Nkumane, Ricardo Loubscher, Louis Koen and Hennie Bekker, while SA Under-20 coach Eric Sauls and Springbok Law consultant Neville Heilbron will also spend the week at camp with the 50 players.

Two teams, who will be managed by the 2009 SA Schools coaches, Chris October and Golie Gouws, will also be selected from the National Under-16 High Performance camp and will compete on Saturday in a curtain raiser match in preparation of the Currie Cup match between Western Province and the Boland Cavaliers at Newlands.

Springbok players Schalk Burger and Conrad Jantjes will address the players at SACS High Schools on Tuesday evening.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cant believe a new rugby season is just around the corner and some very good news for our SA Schoolboy rugby lovers.

For the first time in a decade we'll see the two biggest SA Bok manufacturers since readmission going into war, thats Paarl Gim vs Grey Bloem.

Last year this Top14 clashes series, the brain child of Paarl Gim's x school master started at Gim and this year they'll head to Brute country, Affies (our name for them "Wit Bulle").

Rugby365
Grey and Gim to lock horns in 2010

Grey College and Paarl Gimnasium will clash for the first time in quite a while, when the two teams meet each other on April 24, 2010 on the first day of the Wildeklawer Superschool Invitation-tournament hosted by Affies in Pretoria.

This year's tournament was hosted by Paarl Gimnasium, while the tournament will move to Kimberley with Diamantveld set to play hosts in 2011.

Matches between Paul Roos Gimnasium and Outeniqua, Paarl Boys' High and Glenwood, Affies and Outeniqua and last, but certainly not least, Boland Landbou and Waterkloof are also - no doubt - going to produce fireworks on Day One.

Grey College did not feature in this year's tournament, having committed to the FNB-sponsored tournament - hosted by Windhoek Gimnasium - in Namibia. They will, however, make the trip to Windhoek, too, as well as playing in Kearsney College's tournament over the Easter weekend.

With Grey College set to play Paarl Boys' High, Glenwood, Paul Roos Gimnasium and Outeniqua next year, they might play against Monument, Waterkloof or Outeniqua in their second match of this Wildeklawer Superschool Invitation-tournament.

The Day Two fixtures will be confirmed at a later stage.

Day One fixtures:
(Times not yet finalised, but in order of matches.)
Florida v Wildeklawer Barbarians
Framesby v EG Jansen
Boland Landbou v Waterkloof
Grey College v Paarl Gimnasium :yay :yay :yay
Diamantveld v Middelburg THS
Paarl Boys' High v Glenwood
Paul Roos Gimnasium v Monument
Affies v Outeniqua

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Time for a update.

The schoolboy season has started with a bang. The Wilde Klawer a huge success once again. The SA schoolboy season is a fix one and dont involve only rugby against another. Other sports are also involved with the rugby and understandably a school like Grey Bloem as a example travel to all corners of SA on a weekly basis. The Wilde Klawer tournament give the top rugby schools that dont play another during the year to play another. So this one pretty special and look like going from strength to strength yearly.

OK the results for the two days.

Waterkloof vs Boland Landbou, 8-3
Paarl Boys' High vs Glenwood, 11-9
Monument vs Outeniqua, 25-6
HTS Middelburg vs Diamantveld, 3-3
Grey College vs Paarl Gim, 23-12 :'( :'(
Florida vs Wildeklawer Barbarians, 20-15
EG Jansen vs Framesby, 19-0
Affies vs Paul Roos, 18-6

Paarl Boys’ 13 Affies 8
Paul Roos 37 EG Jansen 29
Paarl Gym 30 Monument 16 :yay
Glenwood 17 Diamantveld 5
Grey College 45 Outeniqua 6
Boland Landbou 20 HTS Middelburg 11
Waterkloof 53 Framesby 10
Wildeklawer Barbarians 13 Pretoria Boys 12

FNB Top 20 - 27 April (S14 Franchise)

1. Grey College (Bloemfontein) (Cheetahs)
2. Affies (Bulls)
3. Paarl Boys' High (Stormers)
4. Paul Roos (Stormers)
5. Paarl Gim (Stormers)
6. Monument (Lions)
7. St Andrew's (Grahamstown) (Kings)
8. Boland Landbou (Stormers)
9. Waterkloof (Bulls)
10. Bishops (Stormers)
11. Westville (Sharks)
12. Glenwood (Sharks)
13. Diamantveld (Cheetahs)
14. Ben Vorster (Bulls)
15. Selborne (Kings)
16. Grey High (PE) (Kings)
17. EG Jansen (Bulls)
18. Florida (Lions)
19. Queen's College (Kings)
20. Dale (Kings)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bishops shoots up the Top 20 after they beat Paul Roos, Paarl Gym will play the Dosers this weekend in Paarl.

FNB Top 20 - 4 May:

1. Grey College (Bloemfontein)

2. Affies

3. Paarl Boys' High

4. Bishops

5. Paul Roos

6. Monument

7. Paarl Gim

8. St Andrew's (Grahamstown)

9. Glenwood

10. Waterkloof

11. Westville

12. Boland Landbou

13. Diamantveld

14. Ben Vorster

15. Grey High (PE)

16. Florida

17. Selborne

18. KES

19. Queen's College

20. Dale

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
You do not often see a top refferee in action in schoolboy rugby but we had this previledge in Paarl on saturday, Jonathan Kaplan reffing the Paarl Boys vs Grey Bloem match. Paarl was a busy place on saturday hosting Paul Roos at Paarl Gym also. We beat the Dosers but only just, after leading 30-3 we lost four players and nearly got stuffed topwards the end beating them 30-27 after a hectic end.

Scores
Eastern Cape

Die Brandwag vs Daniël Pienaar, 18-13
Grey vs Wynberg, 63-13
Humansdorp vs DF Malherbe, 29-8
Marlow vs Jim Fouché, 15-14
Muir vs Union High, 27-10
Selborne vs Queen's, 17-11

Free State/Griiqualand West

Diamantveld vs Landboudal, 22-17
Duineveld vs Upington, 21-8
Grey College vs Paarl Boys' High, 34-12

KwaZulu Natal

Glenwood vs Westville, 9-6
Maritzburg College vs KES, 26-14

Northvaal

Affies vs Pretoria Boys High, 38-3
Monument vs Centurion, 23-17
Waterkloof vs HTS Middelburg, 20-15

Western Cape

Boland Landbou vs Rondebosch, 15-13
Bishops vs SACS, 46-17
Grey College (Bloem) vs Paarl Boys' High, 34-12 ::)
Paarl Gim vs Paul Roos, 30-27 :yay

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
In Paarl our average crowd is 10,000. InterSchools attrack 20,000-25,000 no matter if the Stormers or Bokke plays in the same time frame. Old Boys arriving from all over the country and will usually spend from the wednesday till after the big clash on saturday kick off 16h00 and always the first weekend of August or last one in July.

Making it the biggest attended schoolboy interschools in the world. We also do get a lot of TV coverage weekly on some of the matches.

C

chief

Didn't realise that. Do you just play it at the local school ground? Paarls in Bloem yeah? So play at Free State Stadium much?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
chief said:
Didn't realise that. Do you just play it at the local school ground? Paarls in Bloem yeah? So play at Free State Stadium much?
Nope Paarl is in the Western Cape. Around here we have some good pavilions and fields at the schools. The big one we'll play in Faure Stadion in Paarl.

Some photos on my Paarl Gym thread
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/index.php/topic,5456.20.html

Faure Stadion in Paarl with interschools
view from the main stand
Aftermatch.jpg

Gims first team during the schools song and athems
Picture019.jpg

Main stand
interskole%20skare.jpg

If you want to look at all Paarl Gyms facilities
http://www.paarlgim.co.za/component/content/article/1-paarlgim/208-fasiliteite.html

Our rugby days is against other schools and its not about 1 rugby match , its 20 matches from U14 to U18s, field hockey 7 teams and 20+ netball matches on the day. The main game U18As atrracks all the players and supporters and parents from the two schools plus a lot of old Boys and just rugby lovers.

We do play on Newlands. The top WC schools open their season with a Newlands days and the big ones do get often a curtain raisor on Newlands. The CT soutie schools Sacs , Bishops, Rondebosch & Wynberg is all close to Newlands and sometimes WPRU will ask the U18As to play on Newlands.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
FNB Top 20 - 11 May

1. Grey College (Bloemfontein)
2. Affies
3. Bishops
4. Paarl Boys' High
5. Paarl Gim
6. Monument
7. St Andrew's (Grahamstown)
8. Paul Roos
9. Glenwood