• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SA Sport Minister banned rugby/cricket from bidding mayor tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Expected this to come.
S24
Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula has suspended the privileges of SA Rugby, Cricket South Africa and Athletics SA from bidding for international tournaments due to lack of transformation.
"I have resolved to revoke the privilege of Athletics South Africa (ASA), Cricket South Africa (CSA), Netball South Africa (NSA) and South African Rugby (SARU) to host and bid for major and mega international tournaments in the Republic of South Africa as a consequence of the aforementioned federations, not meeting their own set transformation targets with immediate effect," Mbalula said on Monday.
"I will review this decision when considering the results of the 2016/2017 Transformation Barometer."
Mbalula made the announcement during the release of the Eminent Persons Group on Transformation in Sport in Pretoria.
He said the South African Football Association (SAFA) had met its target, but lashed out at the slow pace of introducing soccer at private schools.
"In respect of the South African Football Association, I am delighted that SAFA has met its transformation targets. I will, however, issue a Ministerial directive to SAFA as a consequence of their poor drive to penetrate and roll out football in former Model C schools and private schools," said Mbalula.

He said the Transformation Charter was the load-star of the sport movement that drew attention to the immediate and inevitable necessity for the Sport System to Transform for both Moral and Strategic imperatives.
He said morally, it was "the right thing to do", considering the grave injustices of the past. And it was strategically necessary, because of the reality that 84% of the country’s Under-18-year-old population was black African and only 16% white, coloured and Indian.
He said to ignore this strategic reality, from a sustainability perspective alone, would be suicidal.
He said he had applied his mind to the aforementioned reality and had taken into account the strides made by men and women within the sports movement to achieve transformation goals.
"It is not my intention to disrupt the momentum gained from the implementation of the Transformation Barometer and the global competitive edge of some federations and sports bodies. However, I am mindful of the urgent task for federations to move with speed in the direction of providing quality of opportunities and access to the youth of our country," he said.

Merit means sweet nothing, its all about transformation.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sad when government becomes involved in running. I've learnt that most politicians are hopeless at running anything, because most of them have never had a real job that they had to get on merit or earn money based on the effort that they put in.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Sevens/govt-wont-support-cape-town-sevens-mbalula-20160425
Govt won't support Cape Town Sevens - Mbalula

2016-04-25 14:53

share this

553ad60c10194a949f9b54f439260f30.jpg

Fikile Mbalula (Gallo)
Related Links

Karabo Ngoepe, News24
Pretoria - Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula says the measures taken against federations lagging behind in transformation will result in government not supporting events in the country, including the World Rugby HSBC Sevens Series tournament in Cape Town later this year.
"It will apply to that because it refers to international bidding and hosting of tournaments," Mbalula responded to a question regarding the hosting of the tournament.
"That particular hosting will apply to the federations that have committed to hosting international tournaments that government will not rubber stamp or support."
The Cape Town Sevens tournament is scheduled to take place on the weekend of December 12-13.
Mbalula on Monday announced that he had suspended the privileges of SA Rugby, Cricket South Africa and Athletics SA from bidding for international tournaments due to lack of transformation.
"I have resolved to revoke the privilege of Athletics South Africa (ASA), Cricket South Africa (CSA), Netball South Africa (NSA) and South African Rugby (SARU) to host and bid for major and mega international tournaments in the Republic of South Africa as a consequence of the aforementioned federations, not meeting their own set transformation targets with immediate effect. I will review this decision when considering the results of the 2016/2017 Transformation Barometer," he said.
Mbalula made the announcement during the release of the report by the Eminent Persons Group on Transformation in Sport in Pretoria. Mbalula said the decision taken was part of the punitive measures that could be implemented by government.
He said, while they were giving the federations time to clean up their acts, they would not be allowed to host "mega events" in the country.
"It means those federations in the year under review; they will not be in a position to host or bid for any competition, small or big, internationally. We will not support them and at the same time that will not be undertaken because as much as work has been done, there is still gaps in terms of the big five federations," he said.
Mbalula added that SA Ruby still had some time to get its affairs in order before the bidding process for the 2023 World Cup started.
"Rugby will not be in a position to host mega events in terms of the Springboks when it relates to the World Cup hosting that involves everything. If it’s international, we will not support. If they are able to correct their errors that will be good, but if they are not, the punishment increases,” said Mbalula.
He said the department was not constricted to the measure being implemented now. He said this was just one of the ways to indicate to the sporting federations that government had power and that it would use it to ensure transformation was achieved.
"This Eminent Persons Group is not just fluke or something that can be done without follow-up action. It will be up for review for 2017/2018 and equally if they are not moving, the punishment will increase, but we just can’t start from the biggest, which means total participation, isolation. We have that, it is within our powers," he said.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So they want the sports to grow and be inclusive, but the punishment is to reduce it and exclude it? Righto.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's not an ideal situation, but it could be worse. Have a look a what goes on in Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe allegedy to achieve the same ends.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Being destructive is so much easier than being constructive. Talk about biting your nose to spite your face.

Tale a guess at how this stuff effects the trend of future "chicken runners". Take another guess how that trend is likely to impact RSA future prospects (not just talking sport here).

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
If any of the worst predictions come to pass, I predict the Force will get much stronger if the ARU are a little more flexible about signing "project players".

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought the Force were already allowed to have 5 development players and 2 marquees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Let me explore two separate issues. First looking at what has been asked and why the government is saying their could or will be future issues at the current pace of change. Resulting in the government setting targets that have to be met for things they have control of.

On the face of it lets assume the government has got it right. Rugby has or is changing to slowly and needs a push along.

Let me further assume the government gets its wish over the next say 3 to 4 years.

The first issue on the surface of it my assumption is the quality of Rugby will suffer at least in the first few years.

My second issue if the quality of Rugby falls you would expect many SA players to head to Europe, and thus Tri Nations and Super Rugby could loose its overseas viewers as could the existing SA viewers and thus a fall in revenue.

If this takes place we could be in for a fall in revenue and status of the Super Rugby competition.

With all our eggs in the Tri Nation and Super Rugby basket should we start to very quickly develop new systems.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The decision came as a shock but the government has been threatening this for years actually and it was in response to a report showing very low levels of effort and outcomes by the major sports in South Africa to include and develop children and players of colour into their sporting systems.

If you are looking at it through the lenses of a liberal Western democracy that had never lived through nor overthrown an apartheid regime it can seem draconian. To many of the 85% of South Africa who are coloured or Black and who now hold power there this doesn't seem as crazy at all.

Imagine the American Indians, Australian Aborigines, NZ Maori or countless other Native peoples overthrew their colonists and made government in their light. In their minds this policy is not crazy at all but an act of redress and positive development of their people.

If you are so concerned about the money you need not, because Black and Coloured South Africans got hardly any of that money anyway from major sports until the government got involved and started to have them included. They have far less to lose than you might think with this policy.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
In their minds this policy is not crazy at all but an act of redress and positive development of their people.

If only this were true. If only this was the motivation. Yet it is not.

It is a move by the ANC to drum up populist support to detract from its total and utter incompetence.

The ANC has failed. It runs a state getting perilously close to failure. Socially, economically. It is morally bankrupt. It has enriched the inner circle at the expense of the masses. Infrastructure is crumbling, the currency has collapsed, the education system is broken beyond repair unless you can send your kids to private school. etc etc etc

And it is only going to get worse.

Yes SA ruby has not transformed fast enough, but that is not the motivation of this move. This is all about creating a smokescreen prior to an election where the ANC is feeling nervous.

Apartheid was fucked. Totally fucked. But where SA finds itself now is proper fucked too. This latest crazy move does not make anything right.

Status
Not open for further replies.