• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SA vs Aus - SA cricket Tour 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Johnson, Ponting, Haddin, Hussey & Siddle could be reacquainting themselves with the sheffield shield competition if they don't pull something out of the bag.
Thats actually one thing I like about Kirsten. We saw Harris and JP Duminy playing local 50 over cricket this weekend. Never happened in the past. Philander who has been excellent in our local cricket, selected from nowhere.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Getting back to the cricket, whom do we select for Australia in the Second Test?

It's been mentioned (somewhere or other) Watson was a stop-gap measure as opener. By crikey, he was, and with the added burden of bowling now he's fixed up his physical problems it'd be worth a trial putting him in at the traditional all-rounder's slot of 6. I've called long and loud for Ponting to drop down the order in his dotage with his slow reflexes 'n' all, so it'd 5 for Ricky. Hussey's a problem, we simply have to rejuvenate this Australian cricket team and I reckon old Huss should be the sacrificial lamb. Dropping that catch the other night didn't look good, Michael. Whomever's the batting coach simply has to sort out young Hughes' technique; what, we don't have one? Get Justin Langer over there ASAP. It makes the reckless discarding of Rogers and Hodge the last few years look like the stupidity it was. And the selectors over that time should be shot for their criminal mismanagement of our spinners since Warne's retirement; what's the count up to now? 11? Disgraceful. I quite liked Jason Krejza, I mean, the second best bowling figures of all time on a test debut, then discarded after he was massively over-bowled on a flat Perth track. But I fear Jason's ship has sailed and we should stick with the current bloke, or recall Nathan Hauritz. BUT NO MORE FUCKING ABOUT WITH SPINNERS YOU SELECTORS. Fast bowlers: Johnson's past it but young Cummins shouldn't be thrown to the wolves this tour. Let's see if Copeland's as good as they say.

Who'd be a selector?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Getting back to the cricket, whom do we select for Australia in the Second Test?

It's been mentioned (somewhere or other) Watson was a stop-gap measure as opener. By crikey, he was, and with the added burden of bowling now he's fixed up his physical problems it'd be worth a trial putting him in at the traditional all-rounder's slot of 6. I've called long and loud for Ponting to drop down the order in his dotage with his slow reflexes 'n' all, so it'd 5 for Ricky. Hussey's a problem, we simply have to rejuvenate this Australian cricket team and I reckon old Huss should be the sacrificial lamb. Dropping that catch the other night didn't look good, Michael. Whomever's the batting coach simply has to sort out young Hughes' technique; what, we don't have one? Get Justin Langer over there ASAP. It makes the reckless discarding of Rogers and Hodge the last few years look like the stupidity it was. And the selectors over that time should be shot for their criminal mismanagement of our spinners since Warne's retirement; what's the count up to now? 11? Disgraceful. I quite liked Jason Krejza, I mean, the second best bowling figures of all time on a test debut, then discarded after he was massively over-bowled on a flat Perth track. But I fear Jason's ship has sailed and we should stick with the current bloke, or recall Nathan Hauritz. BUT NO MORE FUCKING ABOUT WITH SPINNERS YOU SELECTORS. Fast bowlers: Johnson's past it but young Cummins shouldn't be thrown to the wolves this tour. Let's see if Copeland's as good as they say.

Who'd be a selector?

You present a lot of problems Lindo, but not many solutions sadly.

I think you have fallen into the trap of a lot of Aussie cricket followers, namely having a very short memory. I think this comes out in two issues:

1. Remember the last Ashes series? Who was our best batsman by a country mile, who single handedly kept us in the series far longer than we should have been? Hussey. He kicked on in Sri Lanka and scored 463 runs in just 5 innings, including two centuries and two scores in the nineties. Now you want to turf him out after one bad test? The guy is a clear favourite for the Allan Border Medal and should still be one of the first picked.

2. Rogers and Hodge are well past it now, and even if we did pick them in their prime they would not be making much of a difference to the current situation IMO. Even at their peak their abilities were often overstated, and it is doubtful either would have made continual contributions to the team in test cricket.

Also we do have a full-time batting coach. Justin Langer is in South Africa. Hughes has made some minor improvements in technique but still should go. He is just not ready for test cricket.

I think this is the team I would play:

1. Khawaja
2. Warner
3. Hussey
4. Clarke
5. Ponting
6. Watson
7. Haddin (to be dropped for Wade or Paine for the NZ series)
8. Harris
9. Siddle
10. Copeland
11. Lyon

When Marsh comes back he can replace either Khawaja, Warner or Ponting.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Getting back to the cricket, whom do we select for Australia in the Second Test? Who'd be a selector?

You present a lot of problems Lindo, but not many solutions sadly.

Yeah, I was aware of that, b, hence my last sentence. One thing I always like selectors do, in any sport, is to pick players for the next contest, not the last. Huss might be the best player of the last ten or so tests but will he be up for it for the next ten? My point about Rogers and Hodge, and Krejza too for that matter, was to highlight how profligate with our bountiful talent the NSP have been the last five or so years. I keenly feel for Hodge but you wouldn't find me advocating for his inclusion in 2011. Geoff Lawson reckons Andrew Hilditch's great weakness is selecting too much on promise rather than form; on reflection I think he's got a point there.

Let's work out who our best performers are and give them a go this summer. And some expert coaching for young Hughes.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
My point is if you are selecting on form, not promise, then surely Hussey would be the first man picked.

The other problem is no-one is banging down the door at Shield level at present with either the bat or ball. Certainly not to the level of a Hodge, D Hussey or even Marcus North was five years ago.

But yeah, who'd be a selector?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
According to reports in SA, Mickey Mouse Athur a favourate to be your next coach
Sport24
Arthur favourite for Oz job

Cape Town - Former Proteas coach Mickey Arthur is apparently one of the favourites to become Australia's next cricket coach.

The Australians are looking for a new coach and according to the Volksblad newspaper the 43-year-old Arthur is the favourite to replace Tim Nielsen, who stepped down two months ago.

This comes after the same newspaper Mickey-Arthur-to-coach-Oz-20110822">reported a few months ago that Arthur might be a suitable candidate for the position.

Bowling mentor, Troy Cooley, is currently Australia's interim coach on their South African tour.

Arthur - who currently coaches state side Western Australia - could, according to reports, expect a call from Cricket Australia within the next couple of days.

Arthur said earlier reports that he was interested in the position of Pakistan coach, is false.

"The job at Pakistan was pure wishful thinking. Nothing will come of it," said Arthur, which might suggest that he's already got his heart set on the Australian job.

"The process regarding the Australian job is currently at a confidential phase and I cannot reveal any more on the matter," said Arthur.

The other favourite for the position is Steve Rixon, currently Australia's fielding coach for their tour in South Africa. Rixon has a good relationship with Australian captain, Michael Clarke, which could count in his favour.

Cricket Australia is expected to announce its new coach before the series against New Zealand starts on December 1.
Hope Aus dont make the same mistake we had for decades. Our captain ruled the coach for way to long.

I am expecting the Aussies to hit right back on the weekend. Still feel our lot is a bit rusty after a long rest period.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I remember one of the older commentators during an ashes series a few years ago stating that number 3 should be your best batsman, the guy who you can rely on more often than not. Ponting has, for the last few years been a rock in the order and someone who you felt confident would score runs when he walked to the crease. Bowlers were worried, setting defensive fields to him and not bowling anything short because they just knew he was the best puller and hooker in the world at the time. There is no doubt in my mind that he has deteriorated, his reactions look slow, his timing looks off and his ability to steady those around him, a quality he possessed previously seems to have just disappeared.

This is not to say he should be dropped, I completely agree that he needs a new spot in the order and we can just look at the success of two of history's greatest ever batsmen. West Indian great Brian Lara demoted himself to number 5 towards the end of his career and his form took off. Sachin Tendulkar was in the same boat 2 or 3 years ago when he looked to be nearing the end of his career, a move down the order to number 4 resulted in him achieving many milestones that he probably never would have reached if persevered with at 3.

Hussey has to be our 3, Clarke our 4, Ponting our 5, Watson our 6. The rest of the order should be picked on form, potential and contribution to the team.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Listening yesterday to Alan Donald our bowling coach, man I am glad we have him back in town. Pretty sure with him and Gary Kirsten we are about to see the Proteas reaching new heights in the future. For me its not about IF it will happen , more a case of when it will happen.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
2nd test starting today up at the Wanderers. Thunder and lighting will start from the first ball I geuss!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Midnight on Friday and Australia are 4/220 in reply to the Saffers 266! We simply have to bat for two days to ensure the Saffers second innings starts after lunch on day 4, time doesn't matter, we have it the Saffers don't. C'mon boys, take your time, no need to hurry.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oh thought I am the only one on here following this. Session one all Aus, session 2 all SA. The biggest problem for both teams are that they seems to lost the old test cricket skills of grafting batting. The T20 and ODI have changed the sport completely. Your modern cricket watcher will tell you to the good but I dont agree. All batting basic is to play yourself in and face every ball if you can get out with the next one to come. The newbie look like a grafter and just may give you the lead on first innings. Lets see if our bowlers can repeat seesion 2 and keep it tight.

man I just love test cricket and its pretty poised at the moment and a big sin to have only 2 tests in the series.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
and I gave the newbie the kiss of death, 228/5 now. hussey look in good nick. Sully you can go to bed now Boet!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
you'd think that it would have to be over for Punter now

Dunno about you lot but from the oppisit side I dont think so. You can replace form but not class and I always have respect for his cricket abilities and skills. Wonder when they announce the new Aussie coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.